Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
I recently changed mine, you have to remove the left rear wheel and knuckle from the a-arms, and then move the chain adjuster all the way in. The sprocket will fit between the frame rails with a little finagling. You have to pull down the stock plastic skid plate (if you still have it), and remove the sprocket bottom edge first through the frame.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
It is a PITA. I hate doing the knuckles. Scuzz, sure Matlock changed theirs in 15 minutes, on their 100th time doing it LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Not sure Jody. I took mine apart in Honda, and b/c I used to work there, had full access to all their tools. I may be doing it again though soon, as I want to try something other than the stock sprocket w/ the 15t front. I dont think I can really get a 16t in there w/ out playing w/ the case saver, and I don't really wanna mess with that as I like my engine LOL. One thing though if you are ripping that all apart, make sure you get some new clamps or be extra cautious when taking off the boots. I'd recommend cleaning all the grease as well and replacing it while you are in there. You can use Hose Clamps when replaced, but I have found that w/ the little holes in the clamps the boots can actually get caught in there and tear.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Jody, what are you using for tire sizes right now?

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
rear is a 37t front is a 14t. Do you think I should get a 15t front?

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I would try the 15t front first, and then go from there. I think you will find it easier changing out the rear tires (maybe a little more expensive) but a hell of a lot easier than changing around the rear sprocket. That is unless you have a lot of time on your hands and get really bored LOL. Essentially bigger tires in the rear will be the same thing as a bigger sprocket in the rear.

When you guys put the 15t on, I am pretty sure I had to take off the case saver so it would fit, and put them on together. Just a heads up, so I'd be sure you have it on a stand or get an old man stool, as it may take a little bit of time. If you have a kid, they help too, for holding stuff in place. Unfortunately, I don't have one, so I had to steal one for a little while LOL.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
bigger tires are like smaller in the rear, the smaller you go the more mph you get the bigger tire you go the same thing. Once you get up around 55-60hp a 15t is good it is a little tall in 4th and 5th but works well in 1-3

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
bigger tires are like smaller in the rear, the smaller you go the more mph you get the bigger tire you go the same thing. Once you get up around 55-60hp a 15t is good it is a little tall in 4th and 5th but works well in 1-3
Kinda what I was gonna say. I couldn't figure this thread out because I know that going to a bigger rear sprocket will make your gearing lower... and a 40t would be way low. Between getting taller tires (22") with rims and getting a 15t front sprocket, changing the front sprocket is easier and way cheaper. Another way to get a little taller gearing would be to go to a 36t or 35t rear sprocket...
Rear = Smaller to go higher & Larger to go lower.
Front = Smaller to go lower & Larger to go higher.

roadkill

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Thanks Eric, I was reading this and was like "isn't that what I said" haha. Mixed my words up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts