Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just gotten my 700xx and was about 20 minutes into my first ride and me and my buddies pulled to the top of the hill to check out the view and noticed my right rear tire was nearly flat. It turnes out a rock had punctured about a 3/4 cut into my sidewall. After looking around for tires and not wanting to spend another $200 on a brand new bike for new tires I decided to try and convert it over to a tube. We have 10" tubes at my work that we discard with each tire change so I figured I'de give it a chance even though the tube is slightly smaller then the wheel diameter on my 700XX. At most since the tube was free it would cost me the valve stem I had to cut off. I also had to put a patch on the inside of the tire because when I first broke the bead a ton of sand had been pushed into the tire thru the cut. Anyways the tube stretched over the wheel just fine and after cramming it into the tire cavity I inflated it, then deflated it and finally reinflated it in an attempt to work out any folds that may have been in the tube. After about a 5 hour test run yesterday it held up great and I am extreemly happy with it. Just keep in mind if you do it, when you first inflate the tube you are going to have air trapped in pockets between the tube and the tire so for quite a while there will be air leaking out of the tire which is normal. Even after it sitting for 5 days and 1/2 hour into my ride some more trapped air must have shifted and finished leaking out, but after a little bit it was all out also. This is just an idea for the tight wads like myself or the guys who maybe have multiple plugs in their tires and don't want to spend the money for new ones even though the stock Dunlops are a POS!

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
I used plugs on a set of my fronts, they have done well so far, but the backs I would worry because of the rear tire spinning and pulling them out.

For peace of mind, I would get another tire or another full set. The reason I say that is that it's a pretty big deal when I finally get a chance to go out and ride and having to deal with that after all it took for me to get to where I'm going just to be sidelined by a tire issue.

I bring a full set of extra rims and tires with me for that same very reason. (just ask BDR455 - he can vouch) Now I realize everyone doesn't have an extra set lying around, but my point is how far I go to not have a sucky ride, and tire plugs failing would make it suck for sure.

Club | 700 | xx

·
Registered
60 Posts
stock wheel and tires are $hit

if your still riding stock wheels and rims, your riding a ticking time bomb!! 3rd ride sliced front tire, bent both rims.. first thing i upgraded!! i too when i ride take old tires and rims just in case..

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
I don't know if I would call it a ticking time bomb.

I've been on mine for a long, long time and only needed one plug because I wasn't running enough pressure in a rocky area. Oh and I bent a rear rim, but not horribly bad hitting a 6 inch rock "step" at high speeds. Didn't slit the tire or pinch the sides though.

I've been on mine in virtually every environment that you can imagine except sub-zero temps.

Club | 700 | xx

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
ive slashed 5 sidewalls now and have patched the inside and put tubes in them has worked great only about $15

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I've been pretty fortunate and have never punctured a tire or bent a rim.... Odd enough though, I've bent 3 tie rods.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I think the stock front rims are pretty strong for what they are, but the 2-ply stockers just don't cut it. I have a plug in my RZRII back tire (damn studs for winter), and that is holding up fine. Im just trying to figure out whether I want the RZRII knock offs which are half the price, or go with regular RZRs.

·
Registered
184 Posts
How has it held up with all of the bending and flexing of the sidewall? I was just concerned a patch would end up peeling up so thats why I wanted to try and put a tube in it.

I havent had any trouble. but I do run more air in them than I did before. I forgot I rode it at the dunes and dropped the psi and never aired them back up.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I think the stock front rims are pretty strong for what they are, but the 2-ply stockers just don't cut it. I have a plug in my RZRII back tire (damn studs for winter), and that is holding up fine. Im just trying to figure out whether I want the RZRII knock offs which are half the price, or go with regular RZRs.
Most times I prefer to buy original products because it supports the company that actually took the time and money to bring the product to market. Buying knockoffs is good for your pocket but sometimes it's hard to justify knowing your really buying from a thief that took the easy way out and duplicated anothers work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.