Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sank my quad..Oil changes..Camshaft and rockers wore through.. Replaced them (oem items) then had a big/small end knock.
Stripped whole engine, new crank,cylinder,piston and the already new cam and rockers..
Rode a whole 6 very gentle miles and mr rocker arm tap tap is back (argggg)
rocker cover off and see no oil is getting up there?????
Now i also have a stage 1 Hotcam which i did not fit (and will buy yet more rocker arms.)
But- hotcams says breaking in - run at over 3000 rpm for an hr ? Why?
Was thinking putting in the hotcam and new rockers ?
Just got to figure out why the oil is not getting up the top..
Can the right side crank case cover be removed without removing the engine?
Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Was the head gasket put on right? there are usually oil passages. Plus check all strainers and see if there are clogged. There is one in the base of the motor and another in the oil resevoir

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
interesting comment and did give it some thought ,but the gaskets will only go on one way to allow the holes to line up.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
You didn't by chance use any silicone agent that could clog any holes did you? I've seen people do that before. Affected both oil and coolant on some things I've torn apart.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used a zero tolerance sealant on casings.. Its a liquid that would not cause blockages. Its usually used for joining components where there is no allowance for the thickness of a gasket..
I have the workshop manual but to be honest am baffled as to how the oil gets to the top of the engine as there are no oil ways in the barrel ?
The only possibility is the oil comes up through one of the head bolt holes?
Tried blowing compressed air through various oilways but nothing comming out at the top..
Looks like it may be engine out time again... Grrr.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I'm with NoWing, Head gasket strainer maybe blocked. Did you use OEM head gasket ?
I have all the bits loose ,you used around the lab. I could look for something to help out .
The oil path to the head is a long one, been looking into fitting an oil cooler in a similar way to the FST 400ex one.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Could you have a bad oil pump?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The head gaskets are the ones that came with the cylinder works barrel and piston.
Head gasket strainer baxter ? Do you mean the one in the bottom of the crank case ?
Bad oil pump ? It is well within tolerances of what the manual states..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well what I meant by the head gasket is some kits will include small rubber O-rings that compress in the head so seal is tight for the oil passages. If those are put on wrong they will block the head from getting oil. Have not tore the head off my xx yet so I don't know what the gasket looks like. But If you sunk it I would bet that the strainers may still be blocked.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate what you are saying, but with new crank,cylinder etc i have had the whole engine apart and it got a good clean internally.
there are no rubber O rings to get crushed/block oil ways..

Arrow in pic shows what i think to be the supply to the top of the engine.
The oil then travels into the cylinder head bolt hole and up,then across at the top of the barrel and up another hole coming out into the end of the camshaft.
I cant blow down from the top or blow through this hole up, so am left thinking there is a fault with the cylinderworks head gasket, as in no hole for the oil to pass through.
Baxter - any chance of pm,ing me your mob number?
Andy

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
the cylinder works gasket looks like its a little restricted more than the oem one,i mean really on the three little holes and the single hole looks smaller too than oem.:atv:

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
There's a small collet and o ring between head and rocker cover. Oil enters rocker cover ,as arrow shows.

Then down the centre of the cam.

The front cam bearing has a seal on the off side. The back bearing has no seals.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
And finally the oil exits the cam threw 4 holes in the cam itself.

As arrowed.
I think that should cover the story "The path of the Motul" :D

Please feel free to ring me.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
the cylinder works gasket looks like its a little restricted more than the oem one,i mean really on the three little holes and the single hole looks smaller too than oem.:atv:
Both the same as OEM.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Baxter this a really good write up i am sure everyone will see whats going on with the oil not flowing to the top of the motor those passges are small and it wouldnt take too many metal flakes to clog it up, thats probaly what happened to rappey and that other guy who submarined his.:atv::xx:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the filings would be filtered through oil filter before going up...
Also firstly the blockage occurs - then the cam and rocker gets ground off..
so its already blocked before any filings get created !

1 - 20 of 40 Posts