Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was crossing a small creek Sunday, about a foot deep. I was in 2nd gear, and I slowed and pulled clutch in to down shifted to 1st. While doing this my reverse light came on, just for a second or so? Has this happened to anyone else, and should I be concerned? Only happend the one time, it felt a bit wierd but it didn't stahl or nothing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not a big deal it happens sometimes when you are shifting through gears!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to hear it's no big deal. I've never noticed it before. I guess it was because I was going slow and looking over the bars to see bottom of creek bed. And the light was in my line of sight. I will try and keep a better look out, and see if it happens again.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I have not noticed the light on again, however it does not come on at all. At 1st I thought quad was on a bind and wouldn’t go into gear. So I tried to roll forward some and found it was in reverse. Anyway the manual shows sort of how to take apart, just wondering if this is a special bulb, or if I can pick up at the auto parts store? As I have not took the cover off or removed the bulb yet to see it.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
There is a sensor down by the shifter. Check to see if it is plugged up/ ripped off. Happened to me once after riding through a bunch sticks, one came through the frame and ripped the wire off.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I will look asap. And I asume you mean by the foot shifter? Anyone with a picture of this sensor would be nice. For now I will skim the manual.

·
Registered
51 Posts
its just a little pin plug youcan put it in reverse ans see if the reverse limiter is working if its not the plug is unpluged

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a sensor down by the shifter. Check to see if it is plugged up/ ripped off. Happened to me once after riding through a bunch sticks, one came through the frame and ripped the wire off.

Thanks thats exactly what it was. There are 2 connections down there. The one towards the rear was loose. The boot was tore and connection loose. Do you think this could also be why when I was crossing the creek and it was under water, the light may have came on even thou it was in forward gears? And btw not to easy to plug back on with my big monkey ass hands, lol. And had to tighten the little bullet connector with plyers to keep it tight. 1st time I slide it on, it just came right back off.

And one other thing is that the only purpuse for this connection, the light and rev limitor?

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its just a little pin plug youcan put it in reverse ans see if the reverse limiter is working if its not the plug is unpluged
Thanks, I just turned key on and all lights on dash lite up. So I knew it wasnt a bulb at that point. And I already by passed my reverse limiter with duravette's post. So does that connection just work bulb, and sensor for rev limitor, or is that why there is 2 down there, one for each???

http://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2312

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Took the quad out today, and the water was high again. Went up over my nerfs, and the 700 started studdering and I notice the reverse light on again. And the next time I went to x a creek it just shut off? It did restart, and I backed up and tried it again, cause there was a nice bank on other side of creek to climb. And same thing get in middle of creek and it shut off, not stalled but shuts off. This time I just restart and climb hill out with no run at it. Next time I got in deep water it almost sounded like it was cutting out on the rev limiter? I baby the gas playing with the throttle and made it through.

Any ideas, is it that connector getting wet down by the shifter? Thanks for any help or ideas.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Sounds like that reverse light switch or connector is getting wet. I would disable the rev limiter. Somewhere in the foum there is a how to on removing the rev limter. I did mine so long ago I would have to look it up myself. The light still works just no limiter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same thing happened to mine. Reverse light stopped working. When going through water the reverse light would turn on and the reverse rev-limiter would activate in 1st or 2nd gear. I put some dielectric grease on mine and used some pliers to tighten the connection. It has worked great so far.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Has any one changed these sensor's or switch assy? Mine came loose again and now it appears the ceramic insulator around the pin is cracked, and plug wont go on, or stay in place. Looks like nothing to it just unscrew and replace, I'm also going to get the new wire harness while I'm at it. Part #'s in diagram are 10 for the wire harness and the rear #11 sensor. My guess is the front one is the neutral sensor?

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/1601/assemblies/20169-crankcase

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was crossing a small creek Sunday, about a foot deep. I was in 2nd gear, and I slowed and pulled clutch in to down shifted to 1st. While doing this my reverse led light came on, just for a second or so? Has this happened to anyone else, and should I be concerned? Only happend the one time, it felt a bit wierd but it didn't stahl or nothing.
It is not a big problem just check wire connections.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is not a big problem just check wire connections.

thx "ein" set me stright awhile back on this. And that work 1st time or two, but my sensor was so bad it would reconnect and boot on wire harness was torn, so I order'd new and replaced.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Sensor Cover Plate

Finally got a cover plate fabricated from my buddy, to protect the neutral & reverse sensors. Since I've crack 2 of these so far I decided to try to protect the area. Here's a few picture's, far from professional but it should do the trick!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
nice that area is subject to abuse,what is the material 1/8inch aluminum?:atv::atv::xx:

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really have no idea to be honest, lol. It is very thin thou idk it's 1/8" at best if I were to guess 1/16". And idt it's aluminum but without a magnet or asking my buddy I have no idea!

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
what is the material 1/8inch aluminum?:atv::atv::xx:

My friend said it is aluminum and is 40 thousands thick? I guess .040 which would be 1/25 of a inch? It is thin, but idk about my math conversion skills. I just wanted something to keep the sticks away, and this looks like it should work. If not now that we have a template, he could make it thicker I'm sure if needed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.