Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy bought this absolutely mint 04 YFZ recently. He's ridden it a few times, but coming off his KFX700 it scares him a little. I was thoroughly impressed with the suspension. Wow... on the MX track we were on it sucked up everything including me borking it face first into a few doubles (landing short) without tossing me off. It needed to have a smaller sprocket installed up front as first was too short and second was too tall going into the switchbacks, but man....gobs of power. I ran down all the 700s at the track today in short order and the guy riding a Blaster was no problemo. If this thing had 6"-8" of ground clearance it would be perfect. 100+ pounds less than anything I've been looking at too!

Had one guy riding some older 4X4 get hurt pretty badly when one of the tie rods let loose midway through a big bermed switchback. Tire folded in and he got tossed...hard. No helmet or other gear....not smart. Wear all the gear all the time. ATGATT.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
450 is the way to go if I had it to do over again thats what I would've bought.
Ya, well...the pitiful lack of ground clearance on the 450 is what's holding me back from buying one. Great if you're only using it on nice flat areas, but terrible in the woods.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I had a yfz450 for many years, and trust me you dont need flat level ground at all. lol I would even ride really rough trails with 18" rear mx tires, and still never had a problem. Ground clearance isnt as important as you might think.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a yfz450 for many years, and trust me you dont need flat level ground at all. lol I would even ride really rough trails with 18" rear mx tires, and still never had a problem. Ground clearance isnt as important as you might think.
Interesting perspective. In what part of the country do you live?

I took the YFZ onto the woods section of this guy's track and doing simple things like crossing a log just aren't in it's playbook. Can you get it to do it? Sure...is it a good choice for that type of riding? I don't think so. Maybe I'm wrong...but riding that and then riding the KFX was night and day in the woods. The KFX went through it all with little effort on my part.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Straight axle quads work on trails that are not rutted out or logs and rocks i have seen guys try some had luck others got thrown off or spent money for repairs or just got upset got off and helped there quad over the obstical.
Only thing i miss about my straight axle quads is how easy it was to spin the rear wheels around corners but i wouldnt go back just for that.

A buddy after riding some rough trails with me on his 700xx said he will never ride or own anything for trails again he said his back and body wasnt beat down and sore and he could go over everything. We found one drop off neither of us where willing todo because of no skid plates once i have skid plates i will go try it

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had 2 250r's (back in the early 90's) and a 400ex. I loved them all but nothing compares to my 700xx in the Mountains or open desert riding. After a 70 mile ride I can tell you I am a lot less sore then I was on the same ride on my straight axle bikes. To each his own but I love my bike! :xx:

·
Registered
330 Posts
I fully agree Mountainmonkey!!! My buddies try to ride longer and they keep looking at me and they keep wondering why they are soo tired and im just chilling and im 20 years older
Im so happy i took a chance with IRS 5 years ago i would of thought it was a stupid because it was differnt but a vette was differnt also

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Oh I agree, the IRS will make your body last longer. My point was ground clearance only. Sure you may bash the skid plate more often, but it's not something that would stop you from finishing the ride. I loved my yfz in the woods...very quick and nimble, which also helped lessen fatigue because it was so light and manueverable.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
The yfz's are good in the trails. Put some 22's on the rear and 23's on the front with some good skids and they'll go just about anywhere.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sorry i really disagree on this 4.5" stock ground clearance wont get around very well but not if u put bigger tires on yes that would help but then ya lost me on why someone would buy a mx bike that has no reverse and put bigger tires on it to kinda get around? Not trying to start anything i just dont see why? Atleast the raptor does have reverse

Guess i was never the type of guy that tries to use the wrong tool for the job. Hey i guess i think a straight axle no reverse quad on real trails is like someone using a monkey wrench or adjustable wrench which i do not own any of LOL

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ok i think we are side tracked on original post sorry. I have never road one the fasted quad in sand drags recently at waynoka was a built yfz450 im sure they are fast and they are very light. I would think they would be awesome at the dunes I bet its a huge difference between it and the kfx700

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Sorry i really disagree on this 4.5" stock ground clearance wont get around very well but not if u put bigger tires on yes that would help but then ya lost me on why someone would buy a mx bike that has no reverse and put bigger tires on it to kinda get around? Not trying to start anything i just dont see why? Atleast the raptor does have reverse

Guess i was never the type of guy that tries to use the wrong tool for the job. Hey i guess i think a straight axle no reverse quad on real trails is like someone using a monkey wrench or adjustable wrench which i do not own any of LOL

Do you follow GNCC racing at all? The fastest bikes through those trails are SRA 450s. Definitely not the "wrong tool" for the job.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Are you guys talking about racing or trail riding, appears your talking on two different subjects. It is all in what you want really. If I was still interested in riding motocross or GNCC I would definately have a 450. It is hard to beat a low slung high strung bike for racing applications.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
So I have a past with a lot of straight axle machines. I had a couple 450s built up some. Anyway, even though there is less ground clearance, the only place I would not really be able to make it where the XX does is in deeper mud. I could take the 450s over any obstacle I wanted, they were lighter and nimbler so I could manuever them around more, and you don't need reverse when you can just do a 180 instantaneously, speaking of which I hardly ever use reverse anyway, plus if you need to get off to turn them around, they are light and simple. GNCC is trail riding pretty much, just very fast trail riding, usually on trails that are tighter than we are used to. You have ruts, rocks, trees, shrubs, mud, and everything in between. Now, the XX is a cadillac compared to the rest, and it is very beneficial going in mud, and over obstacles at weird angles, and yes I love mine. I probably wouldn't get another one as I plan on keeping this one, but I would def get another 450 in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Guess i just have never seen a 450 with someone good at trails? But i hope to someday im gonna start going out on sundays to local trails maybe someone will be able to change my mind

·
Registered
755 Posts
Guess i just have never seen a 450 with someone good at trails? But i hope to someday im gonna start going out on sundays to local trails maybe someone will be able to change my mind
I caught up to a trx450, kfx450, and kfx400 on Hatfield mccoy trails and they let me pass them. The guy on the kfx450 stayed with me for a bit but then I was gone. I stopped after a while and they caught up and were very surprised I could pull away on the 700xx and how young I was. Also my friend has a yfz and can't keep up with me on my trails in PA but I know every trail by heart which helps a lot. I'm waiting to find someone faster than me on the trails but I know that time will come when I race GNCC in a couple weeks.:argh:

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
I ride with ALL 450's! 2 ltr's, 2 yfz's and 1 kfx. they all go everywhere i go and some places i can't! I live in the mountains and the trails here are very unforgiving. It does come down alot to the rider though. I personally like the 450's but don't need a race bike. I like the comfort of the big trex, the ground clearance, torque, and the reliability. Thats why i bought the XX and not a 450r.

·
Registered
245 Posts
SRS quads seem to work fine in the woods they are the only type worth competing with in the GNCC off road racing. Just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 22 Posts