Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, had a question....my xx while going up a steep incline at Winchester bay and or any other dunes, my bike suddenly dies...hurtles out and acts like it runs out of fuel, I have to drift back to the bottom then try again. But it happens probably 50% of the time on steep inclines. Okay yesterday it finally just flat out died on me even on flat ground, completely wouldn't start or anything. I narrowed it to the petcock on the bottom of the gas tank because I tried starting it for like 5 mins trying random things and finally switched the petcock to reserve...then it started right up...this is with 3/4 tank of gasoline....anyone with similar problems and or what do you think?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
dominator315,
Make sure the shut-off handle is indexed properly. It may be running on the Reserve normally and when you switch it to what you think is reserve, is actually the main tank. It is really hard to see but if you remove the screw in the center, pull the knob out slightly, turn it while applying gently inward pressure until it seats into a depression inside the plastic housing (it like a keyway). Make sure to put some blue Loc-tite (only blue) on the screw threads to keep it from working its way out.
This is a common problem on the TRX700XX from the factory. They also do not use the Loc-tite on the screw which means you buy a new knob and screw ($) soon after taking delivery of the machine.
Let us know what you found.
Sid

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm betting you got something plugging the petcock in the main hole because reserve is a separate line feeding it.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I'm betting you got something plugging the petcock in the main hole because reserve is a separate line feeding it.
I agree. probably got sand in your tank. pull it off and drain and clean it and check the lines and petcock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.