Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been going out on search and rescue for the past few weeks with the local police and fire department looking for a few missing people in the area. It's more of a search than a rescue because we are looking for a body(ies). It's a lot of fun riding around in the area and checking it all out, but I dread ever having to come across a dead body. Anyway, here's a picture and you can check out the rest on my flickr page here.

Shonie

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All I had on me those days was my Samsung Galaxy Ace Camera Phone. I didn't have much room to pack my big canon camera with the wide angle lens.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That pic in your first post is a camera phone??? Wow
Yep. I'm pretty amazed by it too. I've only had the phone for about 3 months and didn't know it took such good pictures.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
shonie777,
First of all, thank you for volunteering to go on the search. It takes a special person to take on that responsibility. I have supported the local Search and Rescue Organization in this area for years. They are all amazing and dedicated people. Skilled beyond imagination in mountain rescue and desert activities. I not only salute all the personnel associated with this, sometimes heart wrenching work, but folks like yourself willing to go the extra mile in assisting them. :tup:
Those pictures are great.
Thank you for your service.
Sid

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shonie777,
First of all, thank you for volunteering to go on the search. It takes a special person to take on that responsibility. I have supported the local Search and Rescue Organization in this area for years. They are all amazing and dedicated people. Skilled beyond imagination in mountain rescue and desert activities. I not only salute all the personnel associated with this, sometimes heart wrenching work, but folks like yourself willing to go the extra mile in assisting them. :tup:
Those pictures are great.
Thank you for your service.
Sid

Dang man.......thanks....dunno what to say....we never had anyone say something like that to us before. I'll pass this on to the others involved with the search.

Shonie

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yep. I'm pretty amazed by it too. I've only had the phone for about 3 months and didn't know it took such good pictures.
It's 65% the user, 35% gear.

I took that with my phone.

But it looks like you're out havin more fun than me. I hope you find them, but I hope you don't run across a dead body.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Yeah I remember those days when I was in the Air Force and was part of the search and rescue which most of the time it was search and recover and at times you couldn't actually think that it was a body, we used to recover crash jet pilots around area 51.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Nash04,
The best part is when a lost child is found in great condition due to his/her Boy/Girl Scout training. That happened here in the Sierra Mts. just recently. The 8 year old boy built a shelter and stayed warm with leaves, pine needles from the local trees and some branches from a pine tree. It is so sad when you see all these "lefties" trying to close out the Scouting programs. The local China Lake Mountain Rescue Group (CLMRG) and the Kern County Sheriff found the little guy. I took a Basic Mountaineering class many years ago and, on one of the overnight hikes one member of the class fell in-between some huge boulders after losing his balance due to a very large backpack that caught him off balance. The entire CLMRG went into action and hand carried him out of the mountains back to the vehicle (He had a broken leg). After many hours on my hands and knees clearing every rock and boulder from in front of the rescuers we finally got to the vehicles. I was so "pumped" in taking part in the rescue that I can't imagine being without these selfless people. That could have been me between the rocks.
Sorry, I got a little carried away (No pun intended).
By-the-way, they don't get a dime just satisfaction from this dangerous part time job.
Sid

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
It's 65% the user, 35% gear.

I took that with my phone.

But it looks like you're out havin more fun than me. I hope you find them, but I hope you don't run across a dead body.
I doubt that if thats your house in the picture, that is. And some of these new cell phones I've seen have 8 mp camera and shot 720p video on them.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'd kill to live in that house. :( It was just some random really nice house I ran across while out blasting through the back roads. Had to turn around and get a pic.

Took it with my iPhone 4. 5mp camera.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nash04,
The best part is when a lost child is found in great condition due to his/her Boy/Girl Scout training. That happened here in the Sierra Mts. just recently. The 8 year old boy built a shelter and stayed warm with leaves, pine needles from the local trees and some branches from a pine tree. It is so sad when you see all these "lefties" trying to close out the Scouting programs. The local China Lake Mountain Rescue Group (CLMRG) and the Kern County Sheriff found the little guy. I took a Basic Mountaineering class many years ago and, on one of the overnight hikes one member of the class fell in-between some huge boulders after losing his balance due to a very large backpack that caught him off balance. The entire CLMRG went into action and hand carried him out of the mountains back to the vehicle (He had a broken leg). After many hours on my hands and knees clearing every rock and boulder from in front of the rescuers we finally got to the vehicles. I was so "pumped" in taking part in the rescue that I can't imagine being without these selfless people. That could have been me between the rocks.
Sorry, I got a little carried away (No pun intended).
By-the-way, they don't get a dime just satisfaction from this dangerous part time job.
Sid
That's pretty awesome Sid. It does get pretty dangerous and you have to be really careful. I live out here in northern Arizona on the Navajo Nation which is about the size of West Virginia. We have a lot of different terrain but where I live is mainly red sandstone rock formations and plenty of sand.

So far we have covered about 50 square miles over the past few weeks. This time of the year is the storm season, so we have been getting a ton of rain. This makes looking for any kind of tracks or clues really difficult, not to mention extremely dangerous to search in all the washes not knowing if a surprize storm may come out of nowhere. But we still go out nearly everyday after we all get off work at 5pm and every weekend so far.

We went out yesterday and covered about 5 square miles. Half on the quads and half on foot. We didn't get back until well after dark. I'm tired and my body is sore from riding and walking, but it will all be worth it if we can help find these individuals and bring some peace of mind to the families of the missing.

Shonie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts