Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
the 700XX would be ok in a smaller lighter chassis, the key being very light. That looks to be a 160hp Yamaha R1 motor with a RMP gear box in the vid

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
iceman320,
That is one outstanding machine. The suspension is absolutely spot on. :rock:
Thanks for the video.
Sid

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Saw this on Ebay a long time ago and scuzz posted it here. Never found who was the guy but kept me wondering.
Here's the post by scuzz.
http://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=929

I was going to bid but they would not ship to the UK. Everything sold for $650 ,I think.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
was thinking about building the frame for my sand rail out on 1" or 1-1/4" dom tubing or maybe some chromoly tubing if it's not too expensive. but the dom tubing should be plenty strong. was going to have mine be the same wheelbase as a rzr s or rzr xp. but what would I have to do to the clutch of the 700xx motor to get it to be able to work in the buggy? is there a clutch available for the xx that would allow me to do this?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think the buggy in the video is using one of these gear boves through a stock type chain. Generally these use a hydrolic pedal system to operate the clutch
stock
http://www.rpmgearboxes.com/

·
Registered
99 Posts
so then the stock 700xx motor and clutch won't work with out one of those gearboxes then?
Sorry to send just that option, you could use the hydro set up to run the clutch from a peddle or just put a stock lever and cable set up somewhere in the cockpit. As for the gear box, they are pricey and probably not the best option sence the XX already has reverse. Another option would be to use the stock rear sprocket set up and put your money in a set of wider axles, possibly some of the UTV axles would match the CV splines and give you the width of a micro buggy.

BTW, damn it! Now you have me thinking about building one! I would imagine that all the left over donor 700 XX parts would sell for a good price. Probably enough to pay for alot ot the components for the build. A built 727 XX motor would be kick ass in a light machine! Just try to keep the weight close to the same as the stock machine

look up Weller Racing, they build R1 kits for Yamaha Rhinos and thier web site will give you ideas. Or even look up trophy carts, they would be a great platform for a XX motor. They already put TRX450 motors in them, here is a link....... http://www.google.com/search?q=trop...EKZDViAKSqP2iDw&ved=0CGMQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=615

ok so I am rambling a bit but still you got me thinking

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
iceman320,
In the March issue of ATV Action Magazine on Pages: 50, 51, 52 and 53 is an article which resembles the RZR you saw on youtube. It is called a RZR X Apex. The Polaris RZR was modified for a Hadley Hopkins of Clovis, California. The machine has a Yamaha Apex 4 cylinder (20 valves) engine in it similar to the one in the Yamaha R1 but available on the snow mobile. MCX-USA doubled the horsepower in the engine. A turbocharger was added (MCX design) that gave this machine a very conservative 260 horsepower with an 11 pounds of boost. Of course many many modifications were done to the chassis, suspension and associated equipment. What a machine!!!
I tried to find a website so you could see this out-of-this-world rocket but was unable too.
The magazine is supposed to be on the shelf until the 19th of April. Hope you can find it.
Sid

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was going to try to keep my sandrail about the same size or just a little bit bigger than a rzr xp 900. so do you think that the 700xx motor and clutch would work for that?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
iceman320,
I wish I could answer that with certainty but all things considered I don't think so. The reason I say that is the weight difference, the size of the tires, the necessarily larger fuel consumption, the transmission/clutch issues with the weight differential and the initial cost of the engine and transmission would make it less than cost effective. IMHO.
I hope others chime in and discuss alternative power to support the above mentioned items and many others. We all want to see you build the machine of your dreams.
Sid

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok thanks for the help sid maybe i will start looking into a ford flat head v8 then or a small 4cylinder engine then? but I would like the buggy to have a standard transmission though. instead of one of those stupid cvt one's that the rzr uses.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
iceman320,
I hope I helped somewhat. When you start your project be sure to post progress pictures. We all admire the creative mind. I like the idea of a small 4 cylinder engine. Light weight and a ton of power, aluminum transmission and a driveshaft.
Have fun!
Sid

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks sid, I have also been thinking about using the new prostar 570 engine from the rzr 570 in it also but I don't know for sure yet. cause I would really like to have it be a standard trans. do you think that a frame made out of some 1" aluminum tubing with a 1/16" wall thickness would be strong enough to build the frame for the sand rail out of or would the steel tubing be better?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
iceman320,
I am sorry, I can't answer that question, but there are those on this forum that can and I am sure will recommend materials.
Sid

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well I have been thinking about my build more and I know that I would like to build either a sand rail or a utv type vehicle I just got back form measuring my atv trailer and i could build which ever vehicle I decide to build to be 88" long and 84" wide and still be able to have it fit sideways on my atv trailer. so i have just been thinking about building a rzr xp frame and then putting a motor on that? what do you guys think which should I try to build the sand rail or the utv?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think if you use the 700xx engine, you will be very short on hp.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
maybe so. I will have to think about this project a little bit more and decide if it's something that I really want to do for sure or not. things might be changing now and i might be able to buy a early bronco now that my cars paid off. so I might decide to build the bronco instead but i will just have to think this over and decide for sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts