Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could someone please do a how to on setting valve clearance. I don't want to pay the stealer ship $150.00. I have all the tools I just haven't seen it done.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Pretty easy to do yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
The service manual lays it out pretty nice.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I am actually planning on doing my valves this week sometime. I had a question for someone that has done it. I printed out the service manual while I was at work =P, and I was wondering what valve was intake and what was exhaust. I have done snowmobiles before, so I am assuming I can tell. I just want to make sure ahead of time before I dig in and get up to my elbows and set them at the opposite clearances. Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
the intake valves are the ones on the rear of the motor, on the intake side - and naturally the exhaust valves are on the front of the motor, on the exhaust side. two valves for each side. i would say the chances are pretty good that you wont have to even adjust them, mine were perfect at 20hrs, still at .006 and .008. if you do, its as easy as turning a screw and nut.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
LOL, I posted that comment last night when I was almost passed out at work (gotta love those boring 12 hour desk jobs) and I wasn't thinking. How more obvious could it be right? I guess I just had a humungous brain fart. I feel like a moron now, haha. Oh well. Thanks. I have a few more hours on mine though, like probably 80ish, so they may be a little off.

·
Registered
667 Posts
remove the fuel tank, plastics, covers, .006 and .008, on the left side of engine there are 2 plugs, remove them both use big one to turn to TDC and the upper to look at marks. very easy

·
Registered
183 Posts
as stated in the manual, make sure that when you are turning the motor to get to TDC and the 'T' mark is visible... check and make sure the rockers can wiggle just a little bit. if you are unsure, turn the crankshaft 1 full turn again to the 'T' mark, and try to wiggle the rockers. they will not move at all if you are on the wrong stroke - turn the crank one full time again and check the rockers to make sure there is a tiny bit of free play in them. that free play is what you want to measure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is it easy to tell which valves are intake vs exhaust? Like are both the exhaust valves on the header side of the motor ? is intake valve bigger than the exhaust?

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
The exhaust valves are located towards the front and the intake are towards the rear. The valves are different sizes but you cannot see the difference from where you will be working.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Is it easy to tell which valves are intake vs exhaust? Like are both the exhaust valves on the header side of the motor ? is intake valve bigger than the exhaust?
yes, the exhaust valves are on the exhaust side of the motor... the intake valves are on the intake side. the valves are not visibly different sizes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Checked mine last week after about 15 hrs of riding, glad I did. Intake was perfect, exhaust clearances was a tad too tight, both valves needed about 1/10 of a turn to make it right.

Check your valves folks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
the only 'special' tool you would need is a feeler gauge that can do .006 and .008, the rest is common stuff like small sockets/screwdrivers. you need an allen key or hexhead for the plastics.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The service manual says to coat a new O-ring with oil on valve cover and put back on, do you have to get a new O-ring and if so do honda have them laying around there shops? Also the grease they say to use, do they mean just any basic automotive grease?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts