Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

Shifting problems

7K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  700xx crazy 
#1 ·
Any of you guys having shifting problems? It seems like I am having trouble up shifting to second gear way more than I should be. Also having problems down shifting to first. It wants to hang up in neutral sometimes. Never had this problem on my 400ex. Or any other manual ATV/motorcycle/dirt bike for that matter. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Mine does the same thing, exactly like you describe. Once in neutral i just release the clutch and grab again, Falls right into first after that.

So with that being said..it could be that the Clutch is still grabbing just a bit. Maybe a cable adjustment is in order?

#3 ·
I pretty sure the clutch is adjusted perfect. Like I said, I've never had this problem before with any other atv or motor cycle. Just this one. I guess it's pretty common with the xx.

#5 ·
Mine does it sometimes.

#6 ·
Mine seems to skip neutral alot when i'm trying to get it in neutral. Gary said his did the same thing, then he tightened his chain and it went away. I didn't think my chain was loose though.

#8 ·
Yep. I don't know if the two are related, but honestly all I changed was the oil and tightened the chain (see my wrenching thread)

Before I had to have the engine running to get it into neutral or it was very,very hard to find. Now for some reason it goes in like butta.

:confused:

#14 ·
Any of you guys having shifting problems? It seems like I am having trouble up shifting to second gear way more than I should be. Also having problems down shifting to first. It wants to hang up in neutral sometimes. Never had this problem on my 400ex. Or any other manual ATV/motorcycle/dirt bike for that matter. Any suggestions?
Absolutley zero problems with mine. shifts perfect with or w/o the clutch.

LC

#17 ·
Mine does the exact same thing. It hangs in neutral all the time. But it seems that if I engine brake, it doesn't do it as much....mostly, just when I use the brakes and down shift. I usually end up trying to rock the quad back and forth or hit the throttle a couple of times while I let off the clutch and stomp on the shift lever. It eventually finds 1st.
IDK why it does that, my buddy's 450R has had no problems like this. I tried to tell the dealer mechanic the first time I took it in for maintenance, and they said there were no problems. Of course, everyone that works at the dealer here doesn't necessarily speak the best English. They might've not really understood what the hell I was talking about in the first place.

#19 ·
mine is a crazy pain to hit second on the up change,, if you flick the power and try to short shift to second it almost always hits netural !!!!!
I think the tourqe load is to much in the low gears!!! there is a lot of pressure on those gears.
shifting quickly with out useing the clutch is the way to fix it,, as long as you get it rit its a smooth change,, and believe it or not its better for the box,,, the clutch is only for take off and controling the power in a set gear in tricky situations,,, and even then you only feather the clutch,, pulling it rit on and off again slams those gears and there mounts, there is a lot of play in gear boxs calld back lash,,,, my little rave,,,also I just put some ITP 22-10-11 on my rears and holy shit what a change,,, its amazing for fast trail riding,,, the bike will drift like a 450r then pull back into control as soon as you shift you weight on the seat,,, its increased my riding speed heaps

#20 ·
It seems like mine is loosening up. The more I ride it, the more I hit neutral instead of 2nd. Also, not easy getting into neutral, especially when my neutral light is out and I have to feel whether I hit neutral or 2nd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.