Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the problem im having is shutting down and it seems to happen on hills, not all the time just random . im running an fmf pipe and fmf programmer twin air closed lid. has anybody else had this problem or any ideas what the problem could be?

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Sounds like you having a fuel cutoff, have you check your fuel filter and is your petcock set to reserve which might cause it but sounds more like a fuel filter issue which could also be something in your tank which is why it's only an intermittent issue.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nash the filter was checked and its not on res, but i havent checked the tank yet but i will. red n black it has low hours and the valves were checked after breakin but its due to be check again

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
i went over 100hr be4 my valve went outa spec... what are ya revs like when it stalls...

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
It's hard to trouble shoot issues like this over the net. Are there any other details u can provide? Is it a steep hill, does it pop or loose power or simply dies. What does it take to get it started again?

Something to keep in mind is the lean condition the bikes are stock and the lean condition programmers and exhaust can cause. Under heavy loads you could experience detonation even with stock compression. It's always best to run 91/93 octane to curb this.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
mine does that when it gets low on fuel

·
Registered
446 Posts
my buddy's also does that with his fmf programmer. It's something with the programmer, we switched his FMF with my EHS and my bike cut out as well, while his bike with the EHS programmer was fine. I would call fmf and see what they can do. Sounds like they may have had a bad batch of programmers. my buddy called FMF and they are going to reprogram it for him but we'll see if that actually fixes the problem. hope this helps if not, good luck

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys , im going to recheck the valves , change the filters flush the tank, then move to the programmer , ill let you know what i find out

·
Registered
446 Posts
programmer is the easy part, just disconnect or if you have a buddy with a different one swap them, see if it cuts out. easier than opening up the motor imo. It was pretty tell tale with the one I checked. my bike never cuts out with my programmer, did it 3 times in an hour with his. problem verified...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok this is what i found, the fuel filter was fine , the tank was flushed, the valves were spot on, new plug, reserve wasnt on, so i called fmf for help . and they said to repack my slip on? , has about 20 hours on it would fix all my problems. they told me that the slip on should be repacked every 20-25 hrs my bike makes too much heat this was all my problem over and over with the shutting down, in the middle of a straight up hill! then after i kept after them for answers they sent me to dobeck he was much more informative but was asking questions i couldnt answer, like what are the lights doing when it happens? how would i know im trying to save my old ass at that time from rolling down a 150 ft hill! but he tried and truely acted like he cared. so i took the fmf programmer off guess what !!!it solved all my cut out problems!!!!!!!!!!! the bike ran great and my shorts arent soiled and i can still walk!! so this is what i learned ,i found out more from the guys on here then calling some ass at fmf telling me im crazy its not possible that can happen and to repack my can! that had nothing to do with the problem, if it had 150 hrs on it i would have tried it trust me flipping is not what i live to do, so thanks for all of your input and it would of been nice if fmf would have said yep we had some bad programmers and you must have got one but that didnt happen it was no help at all from them, the dobeck guy i just wish i had the answers for him but i didnt, he tried i just couldnt help him he needed stuff like what color are the lights and is anything flashing? all i was seeing was my life flashing before me before i rolled down a nasty hill i was no help! so what i would recommend if your bike shuts down on you like mine has over and over is to throw away your fmf and find another that works and has some one you can call that can help you if not repack your can and everything going to be just fine!! lol thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dont tell me that i was heading to hmf next! what problems did you have and what did they say?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts