Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So My cousin thinks my clutch is slipping. When I accelerate and switch gears, there is a lot of lag in the acceleration before the power kicks in. It has been doing this for a few months now, but doesnt do it every time. Anyone else have this issue? what is a good fix?

·
Registered
51 Posts
is the engine reving up and poweris not getting to the ground or is the engine boging if the engine isnt reving then it is probily not the clutch slipping

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
2nd..

and if the clutch is slippin just get the matlock racin kit

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Can you explain what it is doing a little more? Like maniac asked, if your engine is revving quicker than your actual machine is accelerating, then your clutch is slipping. One thing to try before you tear into the clutch is changing the oil.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Make sure you have a lot of free play at the clutch lever. The previous owner of my quad had adjusted all the free play out of the cable and smoked the plates.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The engine will rev at first, then I think as it engages the engine rev drops down to what i think is normal. I get the oil changed at the dealer every other time I go riding, since I have unlimited oil changes for 3 years. how much is the matlock racing kit, and is this type of work easy or really hard? I can do some work myself, but have never messed with a clutch. When I last had it at the dealer I brought this issue up and they said that the cable is adjusted the way it is supposed to be. =\

·
Registered
323 Posts
Clutches are pretty simple to change the plates. Tip the thing on its side, pull the side cover, free up the cable, remove the bolts on the clutch assembly top, pull the plates, replace the fiber plates and button it back up. I think with the right tools it's about a 15 minute job.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool thanks. so the fiber plates are all i need to replace? I found a lot of after market plate. any recommendations, or should i get oem plates?

·
Registered
323 Posts
You won't know about the steel plates until you have it apart, but they're probably OK. Don't skimp on clutch stuff, but you don't need to pay the OEM prices. EBC makes decent stuff. I'd take a couple plates out and measure them to be sure it's the plates. Honda or someone here should be able to tell you what the plate specs are.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok thanks guys. I will look into this.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Definately try the cable first. My neighbors were getting ready to tear into their 250ex and had me take a look at it. Somebody had adjusted the cable to far up. Easy fix.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I found the matlock clutch on the alba website, but it was 200 bucks, not sure i can swing that at the moment after the $700 I just payed for the dmc exhaust and pc3. I might try messing with the clutch cable myself, since Im not convinced of the competence of mechanics they have at my local dealer. hope that helps, and if not, then I will get that matlock kit next month.

and now I need a new mount arm for my trail tech cuz I just broke it when I yanked the rain cover off the quad. lol

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah I think I will contact him when I know I have the funds to pick one up.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I would check cable free play at the lever .
If it still is under warranty the get the dealer to check the clutch.
If not then check the clutch yourself and measure the thickness of the friction and steel plates.
I started having clutch problems early this year and found putting 2.1 litres of oil in the engine instead of what the manual said cured this.
The Matlock clutch kit is a fine product , but overkill on a stock motor .
Ask the guy who does the oil change how much he put in.
Just my 2 pennies worth. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts