Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Tuesday I had surgery to remove my soft palate , uvula, tonsiles and a base of tongue reduction. At this time I will not say "do it" or "don't do it". well for the last week I really haven't said much. I will say that this is very uncomfortable and I'm very hungry right now, I've lost 15lbs. so far. I will keep you posted on how well this works, even though everything is still swollen I'm not snoring as bad.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Would ins cover this procedure?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
hope you have speedy recovery then you can come down south an ride with me this winter tbird88

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for your words of support.

Gary, yes I was bad. I would have to sleep at the opposite end of the house on a different floor so not to keep my wife awake. Funny thou when we go camping I seem to be everybodies favorite bear repellant.

DaGirl, Yes, I had tried all kinds of gimicks, devices and nothing worked. I had sleep studies and was fitted for a C-pap machine which I failed (it's a mask thats strapped over your nose and connected to an air pump, for those that unfamiliar with it). I guess you could say that this was a "last option".

Smooth1, actually yes, I believe most Ins. will cover this, even though there are risks to the surgery the success rate is quite good. Sleep apnea and snoring deprive you of oxygen, cause interupted sleep leading to fatigue and can contribute to high blood pressure. So I'm hoping this will be just be a bad few weeks to end several years of bad sleep.

And TBird I hope I get the chance to ride with you and everyone else here!

Thanks Again my friends,
Vince

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
What are the possible risks you mention? I don't have a serious snoring issue but I may look into it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Similar risks to any surgery, In this case bleeding out was the biggest but even that was minimal, infections and dehydration (mostly due to not wanting to put anything down your throat.

I would recommend going to a Ear Nose and Throat doc that has alot of experience, start asking around and see who comes up also look for a doctor at a larger facility or university. I believe it's worth the extra travel to get some one good. I even started with one that was local to do all the the sleep studies with then kept looking to find out who was the best. Never settle!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

Thanks again for everybodys support.
While going through it I would have given a second thought, recovery is slow and requires patience. The results have been very satisfying, I have not been kicked out of bed once since the surgery. However my wife did poke me to turn over for snoring one night but it turned out to be the dog and not me.:lol: I feel better rested in the morning without the groggieness I was accustomed to. So for me this is the answer in my case, I still would recommend it given it is carefully considered and timed better ie: don't do it just before a big holiday centered on food! I have lost about 25lbs. now I look anorexic (NOT!), another 50 lbs. would be nice. Less weight will make my quad faster! WOOHOO!!

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
This past Tuesday I had surgery to remove my soft palate , uvula, tonsiles and a base of tongue reduction. At this time I will not say "do it" or "don't do it". well for the last week I really haven't said much. I will say that this is very uncomfortable and I'm very hungry right now, I've lost 15lbs. so far. I will keep you posted on how well this works, even though everything is still swollen I'm not snoring as bad.
Geesh, why dont they just remove the lower half of your head! Get well!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts