Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ssrt.org

The trails go on forever, and ever, and ever. You can hit so many side trails for hill climbs, mud races, or just riding in a meadow. Absolutely awesome place to ride. Covered 120 miles in 2 days.

Day 1: We had a late start after riding around everywhere looking for a sticker. This is my own dumb fault for not planning. After hitting the true value hardware in Snow Shoe (about 3 min from gillentown trailhead doh!) we were on our way. The weather was rainy and misty, but still didn't stop us. To put it simply, the trails are basically a highway system. At times, we were on trails approximately 40 feet wide, for about 5 miles of crushed stone. At any point, we could easily deviate from the main trail for tight woods, mud, hills, etc.

Here are the highlights.
The Tunnel:
Very cool to ride though some water but not deep enough for any concern (unless riding with kids quad and low clearance). The other sides seems far away. I also have to say, it very creepy especially at night (read further down).

Uh ohh, going down!:
The 700xx is a great bike, but not indestructible- Yup, rolled her going up a small hill. It was rainy so I attribute stock rear tires, misjudgment, and not enough starting momentum. Basically I was going up a small hill that was very steep, the wheels started to spin and uh oh... Instead of jumping off the bike, I decided to pull in the clutch and let off the hand brake. This seemed like a good idea, given the hill was very small. Well, I hit a rock, hand slipped on the clutch, wheels hooked, and back I went.
I flew off backwards, my back hit a very large pointed rock, I hit hard, the kind of hard you feel 5 days later, actually knocked the wind out of me. That's not even the bad part. Now gasping for air, I see a 500 lb bike headed for my head. Adrenaline starts pumping, in an instant I "leg pressed" the quad, enough to hold it in the air, almost like when you "superman someone". While holding the bike, with no breath, I "threw" it to the side to land on the ground about 6 feet away from me. You hear the stories of kids lifting cars off injured parents. I now believe you can be almost super human when needed.

2 things, first is I had my helmet on, second is, I HAD BODY ARMOR WITH FULL SPINE, ELBOW, CHEST, and SHOULDER PROTECTION. I cannot emphasize how important this piece of equipment is. I went with the dainese brand which is very expensive new approx $400. The gear is CE certified to European standards, and actually built for street use. Good ole ee-bay purchase used for $100. I am 1000000% certain, the back armor prevented the pointed rock from serious damage. Not only did I land on the rock, but it supported me while I "supermaned" the quad.

OH UH, Fogged mask, rain, and what's that a giant rock in the middle of the trail.. BAM, 2 lost tires.

Yup, popped the sidewall of the front and rear tire, approx 10 miles from the car. We were actually semi prepared, we patched the smaller hole in the front with 5 plugs, filled it with green stuff, and oh crap, no pump!!!. The rear tire was basically destroyed. So I limped back at the end of the day, in the rain for 10 miles at night. My buddy forged ahead to get the pump.. Now the tunnel at night, in the rain, going 3-4 mph. Now I watch to much TV, ghost hunters, paranormal state, etc. Lets just say the tunnel was about 40 degrees colder, and misty. I was like Scooby and shaggy shaking.

Day 2-

Lets find some 22-9-11 tires, yeah right. After 2 hours of searching, bestline Polaris off 322 had an old pair of cheng shing jackals. They were 23-8-11's only thing within 50 miles that fit, even the honda dealer had nothing in stock. Tires now fixed, my respect for the trail and bike in check. We headed out for day 2 around 12:00. Second day was nice weather, we rode for ever on the main trail.. Discovered the black hills (hill climbs) the mud track, and some river crossings. Rode until 9:30 at night until BAM< the polaris belt went.

So, out comes the tow strap, hooked to the HONDA... Towed him back, but this time we couldn't avoid the water puddles. Basically, ever time I hit puddle, it threw mud on my buddy being towed behind. To me, this was a great opportunity. So I hit the gas enough to spin the tires, just to be sure he got a good covering. By the time we got back (around 11:00 PM) to the cars, he looked like vaudeville, COVERED with mud and whatever grit I could throw back.

Overall, it was a great 2 days. I highly recommend the trail system to anyone looking for an adventure. The town is great, good people, great sandwiches (ludwigs) and enough riding to bring you back for new discoveries.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is exactly why I bought my extra set of rims and bring them with me EVERY time I go riding.

Nice write up!

You know what sucks? I have an extra set of fronts sitting at home. This was my first big ride. Next time, tons of spare parts... Already have 1 good stock rear tire. Need a second to match when the cheng shing a dings wear out.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm 99% sure doubleO sold his 700xx. He is only 20 minutes from me.
Thanks for the reminder!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts