Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Do you think this is because they think HMF is the best or is it that HMF paid the most for them to use on their bikes?? Celebrity backing, especially in racing, really doesn't mean much at all. If Campbell's Soup gave each of them $1,000,000 to use one of their soup cans as a muffler I bet they BOTH would do it.

agreed...

and if i was going to spend the money to begin with to buy some pipes.... that .5hp gain compared to something else that costs the same with -.5hp ... well id get the additional .5hp ... i mean really ..why else do you want to put exhaust on a quad?

Im gonna put this pipe on my quad so i can lose .5 hp heh.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Do you think this is because they think HMF is the best or is it that HMF paid the most for them to use on their bikes?? Celebrity backing, especially in racing, really doesn't mean much at all. If Campbell's Soup gave each of them $1,000,000 to use one of their soup cans as a muffler I bet they BOTH would do it.
Good point, but my point is that HMF is a good product. I don't know that HMF is the "best", but I think that you are splitting hairs when talking pipes.

·
Registered
445 Posts
There's only so much technology that can go into an exhaust, believe it or not. There is no huge difference between different manufacturers, they're all designed pretty much the same.

I've tried an HMF on a Raptor along with a Trinity, LRD and Sparks (on the same bike) and although we didnt dyno them, the results were all pretty much the same. If there was a difference, it was so minimal that you couldn't tell.

Agree, after all its just a piece of pipe. Freaks on the money but is still splitting hairs.

Did some Intercooler tests along time ago; the aftermarket stuff was between 450 and 500% more efficent. People argued about the 50% spread but forgot about the 450% increase in the first place.

IMO, HMF are cheap and cheaply made......FMF are not so cheap and cheaply made.

Linc

·
Registered
537 Posts
I look at this way. If save your money to do a mod then save the little extra and buy the best out there. The price between the cheapest and the most expensive is about $200 anyway. An HMF can be had NEW for about $225 and a Yoshi can be had for about $340. The difference in price isn't gunna put you in the poor house, but the difference in quality is huge.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Sometimes your are buying a name too though, I would never assume the one that cost more is the better performing.

·
Registered
445 Posts
An HMF can be had NEW for about $225 and a Yoshi can be had for about $340. The difference in price isn't gunna put you in the poor house, but the difference in quality is huge.
But thats the point.....as Smooth said "sometimes you are buying a name" I've seen as many Yosh exhausts fall apart as I have HMF.

Best Exhaust I've ever had was an Eddie Sanders. Big billet alloy mounts, Billet caps at both ends and bolts not rivets holding it all together. It looks awesome, sounds awesome and has never moved, leaked or even faded in color. At the same time it wasn't cheap and it's heavy compared to other brands.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
there is more than you think length diamiter angles how mant bends how many steps all of these things affect sonic waves witch determins how much power and where you get the power

Yep, and do you think HMF doesn't have those things? That stuff isn't exactly "technology" either.....everyone knows those secrets by now, and everyone uses it.

They may not be the ideal pipe for drag racing or other similar competition, but who is really buying the XX to drag race? Out on the trails, you won't be overly faster by using one system over another. You do want a quality build though and something that's not going to fall apart. HMF is built pretty tough, I can attest to that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
being the first pipe out tells me it didnt spend much time in deveelopment and testing they just made it fit ..... its not about peak hp numbers its about the power curve of that design two pipes that look identical to the eye can can put off copletly differat curves these are two examples

·
Registered
81 Posts
if you hold out a little longer you can get a better pipe like a curtis sparks or trinity racing they should both be out the end of feb ive just never been impressed with hmf and every pipe gives a differant power curve so hang on a little longer gary ps go with the full sys with a ss head pipe the ti ones tend to blow out due to how thin the piping is

dude i hope your right cause im holding out for a sparks racing muffler, i hope they come out really soon cause im in the market for my BIG 3

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'm loving my GSXR two bros slip on!

·
Registered
537 Posts
But thats the point.....as Smooth said "sometimes you are buying a name" I've seen as many Yosh exhausts fall apart as I have HMF.
I have PERSONALLY owned 13 different Yoshi systems and not one of them fell apart. I cannot even remember one single person I know that had a Yoshi and it fell apart. But I 6 of my riding buddies that have/had HMF systems and every single on of them have had the weld on the can break. But I guess there is a first time for everything. I hope my first time never happens.

·
Registered
425 Posts
How many people "here" had a HMF pipe crack on them?

Mounting the pipe can be critical if you dont line everything up and put stress on the Aluminum welds. Hell just widen the mounting holes to fit a rubber grommit can safe you $300.

My HMF pipe was a little tight to fit...but hell being a mechanic all my life i know that even OEM parts can be a bit tight fitting at times.

Actully brings up a good point on how different manufactures mount their pipes. FMF uses a strap to hold the back in...while Yoshi welds to the can. HFM has a single Fillet while Yoshi has theirs on a flat pad welded on the sides. As far as i know all pipes use both stock mounting locations for their slip ons.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Actully brings up a good point on how different manufactures mount their pipes. FMF uses a strap to hold the back in...while Yoshi welds to the can. HFM has a single Fillet while Yoshi has theirs on a flat pad welded on the sides. As far as i know all pipes use both stock mounting locations for their slip ons.

Depends on the application and type of Yoshi. My Yoshi RS3 on my 400 is a rubber isolated steel strap. My RS2 on my 700 is welded, but I ground off the bracket and used the same strap from a RS3 to mount it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Depends on the application and type of Yoshi. My Yoshi RS3 on my 400 is a rubber isolated steel strap. My RS2 on my 700 is welded, but I ground off the bracket and used the same strap from a RS3 to mount it.
Ahh Smart Idea.....

But yah i can see how engine or frames flex cause the end of a soild mounted exhaust.

Even for my Evo i welded together a Turbo mount to keep pressure off my tube headers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok, let me start another argument, LOL. How many of you have slip ons and how many have full pipes? Do you really think its worth the extra $ for the full pipe? How much more gain are you gonna get with the full pipe? Obviously the biggest restrictor is the can.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Ok, let me start another argument, LOL. How many of you have slip ons and how many have full pipes? Do you really think its worth the extra $ for the full pipe? How much more gain are you gonna get with the full pipe? Obviously the biggest restrictor is the can.
Thats a whole other thread!:lmao:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts