Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

some suspension setting info inside

17K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  08700xx 
#1 ·
today i did some expierementing with my preload and i found some setting i like, i set my rear all the way hard,and the front 1/2 way soft. my reasoning behind this was because of my streetbike expierience, if the front drops in a curve it will cause the bike to respond because it drops all of the weight on the front wheels due to the front being softer than the rear, i adjusted the rear hard because i was looking for more slide. on a streetbike i run my rear only slightly harder than the front because too hard would cause it to wash the rear out, so i figured it would apply to a quad in a similar manner....the way my bike is now it transferrs the weight to the front tires under hard braking requiring me to lean off of the bike less to slide and take a fast turn and made it where i can take almost a 90 degree turn at the top of second which was impossible with my factory setting of everything soft. a fair warning is to not tighten everything to hard, i tried this first and found that it will flip extremely easy :disgust: luckily i saved it with only slightly soiled pants.im open for any questions

#3 ·
yes, there are preload adjustments. they have spanner nuts that you can move with a spanner wrench or hammer and punch.

#5 ·
the spanners adjusy the preload, which adjusts the ride height but it also makes the ride stiffer for your body weight at the same time, i think i saw a rebound adjustment on my stock shocks but i havent had time to get tha far into it yet.

#11 ·
Yah i mentioned something like that last year, I ride the quad kinda like i rode the MX bike. Jam on the front brakes and move forward to help unload the rear...then turn/lean and throttle out of the corner.

#13 ·
thats exactly how i ride it..and it works great

#15 ·
I was at the dealer picking up Oil and Filters (the only two things that go bad on a honda..LOL). A the Sales guy was trying to sell the last two TRX700XX's on the show room floor. He Knew i owned a 700xx also so he pulled me over to explain to the guy how to ride the IRS. Pretty much Explained it like that...Ride it like a Bike and not a Quad.

#17 ·
I need to figure out what is the best setting for the crap stock shocks for dune riding and going over whoops?

#19 ·
Yeah it looks like it might be time to spend some money on some Elka or fox shocks. I just dont know if I can bring myself to spend that much money on shocks that im not really going to use. I am more of a dune and sand drags kinda guy and 3K in shocks for that just seems like over kill to me.

#22 ·
Thanks for the link, I would be in for some elka 3's if I can get some time to recover from the 3300 I just put into the motor.

#24 ·
That’s not bad at all. Once I'm done with the motor shocks will be next for sure, hopefully we will have a group buy going by then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.