Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
The front end pushing is all but gone. It turns REAL nice now and still handles the whoops and rocks great.
How does the rear sway bar affect the suspension travel, especially in the rough stuff? I like the idea of the sway bar, but don't want to lose any of the benefits that the IRS has given me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Aren't the pros like Matlock running the stock swaybar? If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. The handling on mine improved ten-fold with a simple switch to Razrs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We do run the stock sway bar are biggest benefit came from our Houser arms and Elka shocks the stock sway bar works real good for what we do

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yea i jumped to quick on buyin the sway bars(i wanted a quick fix to quad) , and after researchin more , i decided to try tires first and see if this solves the pushin prob.(also im havin 2nd thoughts of buyin long travel fronts and suspension ) id rather have that then the sway bars,but it s big money for the set up.Andrew form sonic assures me i will love the sway bars and wont lose any travel in suspension , we will see by trial tho.as for the 20 inch size it lowers the center of gravity of quad and should make it handle much better,more like a race quad....they fit perfect too ...itp made a special offset in 10inch (4+3) just for the 700xx

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would like to see a measurement of suspension travel before and after the sway bar install. I'm specifically speaking to travel for each a-arm and the amount of weight (force) needed to make that movement.

I'm not interested in making an 500 lb. semi-sra.
Im going to actually ck the travel tomorrow, im going to lift one tire till the other lifts to ck travel. prob use a jack or car ramp with my 230 pound a$$ on it.

But just the short test i had with my new sonic rear sway is that it makes the Quad (with Razrs installed) more towards the oversteer side. Proper throttle control and body position im sure i can keep the quad neutral. But it didnt tighten up the rear to SRA levels.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We do run the stock sway bar are biggest benefit came from our Houser arms and Elka shocks the stock sway bar works real good for what we do
Wayne,

You would be surprised how much a properly sized anti roll bar can do for your ATV. With all due respect your an amazing racer and you have proven your self many times over. Your a good enough racer to make up for the downfall of the lack in stability and turning of the XX, but how much faster could you be if your machine did even more of that work for you? For a race ready ATV quality after market shocks are a must and a good set of front a-arms will help your high speed stability. All serious racers in the past have done this for years but now you have IRS and with more parts and higher technology IRS needs a correctly balanced anti roll setup.

Elka, Custom axis, Fox will all tell you that they can fix your roll stability but at the expense of a stiff spring rates that beats you up and your weight distribution upon the tires is the same as before. This means you get little to no real cornering advantage. With an anti roll bar you can keep your spring rates low and let the torsion bar transfer weight to the correct location to achieve much higher cornering speeds and strait line stability. Correct distribution of weight to your tires is the true reason for an anti roll bar. As a byproduct of the correct weight distribution the anti roll bar also limits the body roll of the vehicle. Redistribution of weight gives traction to the correct tire to achieve smooth, effortless, balanced cornering. Any F1 race engineer will agree with this statement.

It is important to rely on your shock manufacturer for all your handling needs because they are the ones that make your ATV handle. Not your A-arm manufacturers. The problem they currently face is that they are trying to make your IRS ATV turn and have little experience with IRS. Lets face it, IRS has only recently been introduced to the race side of the ATV market. If they had experience with IRS in a real race circuit they would tell you that cornering ability comes from your anti roll system.

(to all)

If you haven't tried an after market anti roll setup so you have nothing to compare the stock one to. Our patent pending Anti roll system is currently the only way to get the stiffness and durability needed in the rear of the xx. I have been designing anti roll systems for the past few years for our IRS retrofit kit. It is a difficult task because we have so much wheel travel and a very large track width to center of gravity ratio. A standard bar that lies perpendicular to the vehicle like the Durablue or Rath design can't be utilized in the rear without it breaking due to the bar length and torsion bar twist angles. I have tried mini hydraulic pistons that worked well but where very expensive and didn't do well in the dirt and sand. Then I came up with this design that answered all my problems and just so happens to work great on the XX as well.

We Don't create a solid rear axle conversion kit. This would literally require a anti roll bar much thicker then a standard solid rear axle, huge linkages, a-arms that are extremely strong and can withstand thousands of pounds of pulling and pushing forces by the anti roll system... its just not possible. But, we do create a anti roll system that transfers the correct amount of weight to the correct tire to give you high speed and low speed cornering with your smooth riding IRS ATV.

I hope my long winded explanation helps. Their is a lot for all of us to learn in this new developing field of IRS ATV racing and I think its exciting.

·
Registered
425 Posts
well i think people see the size of the bar and think its going to be stiff because its thicker then stock....

But its also longer....so its more area to flex. Also if you wanted a solution that where you can run custom rates then this bar will work for you..replacing the bar is a easy task once installed. so you can talor your roll control for a race.

·
Registered
36 Posts
well i think people see the size of the bar and think its going to be stiff because its thicker then stock....

But its also longer....so its more area to flex. Also if you wanted a solution that where you can run custom rates then this bar will work for you..replacing the bar is a easy task once installed. so you can talor your roll control for a race.
You are exactly correct. It is thicker then stock but the length that actually twists is much longer then stock so it can take more abuse and the longer the bar the easier it is to twist for a given cross section. The problem is our track width to CG height is so bad that a bar much stiffer then stock is needed.

We are offering a bar swap program which I expressed to those of you who called in. If your bar needs to be a little softer or a little stiffer depending on your riding style or riding type we will swap bars you just pay the shipping.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Andy,

Some of us need a little help with getting our XX to handle better. Wayne Matlock is doing great with just his stock sway bar! We would NOT want him to know that its the single BEST thing I have changed on my FULL race XX now would we? The Sonic Sway Bar would only help him go faster and I think that it is AWESOME of him to be willing to NOT run it considering he would only be able to go faster. Thank you Wayne, you are a true gentleman! LOL just kidding about the smart A stuff.

Wayne,

This is an incredible product that you should take a look at. I have it on a bike that will be competing soon.......

·
Registered
78 Posts
heydesert289 do you have front and rear bars, i bought both but have not put them on yet , waitin to try new tires out first ,and how about front shocks, the stocks are like pogo sticks...........do the bars take away any of your suspension threw big off camber whoops?

·
Registered
36 Posts
heydesert289 do you have front and rear bars, i bought both but have not put them on yet , waitin to try new tires out first ,and how about front shocks, the stocks are like pogo sticks...........do the bars take away any of your suspension threw big off camber whoops?
The sway bars are stiff enough to properly transfer weight to your tires and limit body roll while turning but the forces of a huge bump are enough to just twist the bar and you feel little difference. The anti roll bar does add a slight amount of spring rate in one wheel bump so it is a good idea to run slower rebound in your shocks if your racing. If your running after market shocks you will be able to reduce your spring rates all around and have a super plush ride yet the anti roll bar will keep your ATV stable and it will track very nicely in the corners.

Get the sway bars on there! lets get some more feedback.

·
Registered
78 Posts
as of now i have the stock shocks, they suck , they have no adjustments ex preload which does nothin for me , the fronts just spring up and down like a pogo stick , will the sway bar fix some of the shock prob and yea plan on gettin whole new housers and long travel elka s but dont want to spend big money on sway and shocks ,esp if a new front would fix prob...........

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't doubt that your sway bars work well in certain riding conditions. But we have got are quad to turn real well by making it 48'' wide and the right amount of caster along with shocks. And for me I need the quad's suspension to move as freely as possible when you are hitting 6 to 8 inch rocks and 1 to 2 foot deep whoops at 70 to 80 MPH stuff needs to happen real fast and very Little resistance. But for some I am sure your set up works good, just like I am sure my Set up would not work for some.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got an update from a customer that raced his first cross country race with the the front and rear anti roll bar system on his 700xx. His best previous place with his ATV having already purchased elka shocks front and rear was 15th. Last weekend with both the front and rear bar he placed 3rd and was ecstatic about the handling. He says it handled 100% better.

He was especially happy with the front bar. He said that his front felt so stable and didn't dive at all. He thinks we should be going after the strait axle front ends because they run extremely soft suspension in the front and have a big problem with dive over their front outside corner.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just got an update from a customer that raced his first cross country race with the the front and rear anti roll bar system on his 700xx. His best previous place with his ATV having already purchased elka shocks front and rear was 15th. Last weekend with both the front and rear bar he placed 3rd and was ecstatic about the handling. He says it handled 100% better.

He was especially happy with the front bar. He said that his front felt so stable and didn't dive at all. He thinks we should be going after the strait axle front ends because they run extremely soft suspension in the front and have a big problem with dive over their front outside corner.
Thats just what I wanted to hear. My order will be going in real soon for the front setup. I am real happy with the rear swaybar setup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Sway Bars are INCREDIBLE! Waste NO more time on the quad until you get em on their.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Is there still a loaner set going around to test them out?

41 - 60 of 84 Posts