Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the midst of trying to make mine faster/better. I have decided to try to find my son a ride of his own. What are some good options for him. A little background. He is 11, his cousins had 50 about 3-4 yrs ago, rides go carts and weighs in around 95 lbs. He knows the basics pretty well and a little more. I. Am wanting to get something small enough to learn on but big enough to last a couple years before he outgrows it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would have to say that a 300ex would be a good place to start. Shouldn't outgrow it for a while.

·
Registered
392 Posts
kfx90 or trx90x
If wanting something a little bigger then i like the trx250x
Yeah I agree with the 250 also. I think anything smaller he would just outgrow to quick.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I started out on a Polaris Sportsman 700 at age 12 and 100ish pounds and my dads friends thought he was crazy letting me have something that big but I handled it fine and could keep up with them even when they tried to pull away (they have utility quads too). I'd recommend 400ex for him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
my son has a trx 90 that is great for him he is also 11 and weighs about 75 pounds and it does really well for him but it is a little slow in the dirt depends on your sons weight. Since he is a little bigger i would think about the 300ex i will probably get him a bigger ride then

·
Registered
369 Posts
i would go with the 250ex i had one when i was 10 it was a perfect fit not to big not to small then when i turned 14 an got the xx:hey:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He learns fast, I just didn't know if I should go smaller, raptor 125 maybe. But he is at the age he will be growing fast.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would suggest a 250ex also or find a nice Yamaha Breeze 125, 2004 was the last year they made them but they are automatic. At least the 250ex has that sport clutch to start learning on. I think the 90cc would be out grown very fast by a boy at age 11 once he gets familiar with it.

I have a daughter who is 9 and I've been looking at either a 90cc or if I can find a nice late model Breeze 125 she'll be on that for quite sometime.

·
Registered
61 Posts
my little brother got a 250ex for his 10th birthday and he can handle it perfectly and he was 75lbs then. his friend is 11 and rides a 400ex so that is what i suggest you get because it will last forever because its a honda :hey: and he wil love it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well I know this is a Honda forum, but if I was that age I'd be all over a Raptor 250! Those are great looking bikes, and the only true lightweight manual clutch sport quad of their size.

That being said I have no experience with one, so take it for what it's worth...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Well I know this is a Honda forum, but if I was that age I'd be all over a Raptor 250! Those are great looking bikes, and the only true lightweight manual clutch sport quad of their size.

That being said I have no experience with one, so take it for what it's worth...
Yea I'd take the raptor 250 over a 250 or 300ex but not 400ex. I heard the little raptor handles great and one of the funnest quads to ride because of the weight.

·
Registered
34 Posts
my choice would be red any honda tough and can take a beating

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know if I would get him on a 400. Will start looking 250/300 ex, or warrior/raptor 350. Had a warrior stolen from me and still have parts for one.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a Polaris Predator 90 (2 stroke) for my son and I have it turned down to 1/4 throttle he is 7 but that being said I think he will ride it for quite some time due to the size and the power... that little two stroke is quick :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
The 250ex is the best starter bike in the world in my opinion. Just picked up one for my gal pal (she is 21 but very petite).

My first bike was a 50cc Suzuki that I got when I was 4 years old (early starter haha). I rode the crap outta it until I graduated to a bayou 300, then a bayou 400, then a Kingquad 300, and finally my 700xx. haha

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My gf will be riding it also. My son is as big as she is. She liked the looks and feel of raptor 250. Idk, might have 3 before the end of the year.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
well i was riden a 660r when i was 11 (im 16 now) lol my feirnds dad hade one... get him a lt-z400, 400ex or a 450r... i was on my recon at age 6... still the best b-day present i ever got haha

he will out grow anythin smaller than a 400 in a year if not less...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts