Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found an 02 660 raptor on craigslist.. Needs motor work, but i got the whole thing for $250 .... if nothing else i can part it out and make a lil money. I have questions for someone who knows a lil something about raptors.... i think there is a member here (velosiraptor) or something like that?? anywho. hit me up if you have time to answer a couple questions.

·
Registered
207 Posts
might be best to post your questions here now, that way people can think them over.

Also, if you are a Raptor guy, there are Raptor forums, (Wont have our great machine or members) but I am sure there are great guys that know their stuff there too!

Either option works great!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Go to Bluetraxx.com. They can help you with all your questions. I got rid of my 01 2 years ago to get the XX and havent ever looked back. Spent lots of money on it and wish I had it all back. If you only have 250 in it, I would part it out and use the money on the XX. JMO.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, i know the piston and jug are trash, since i've got to replace those, should i go ahead and get a big bore kit?? The top of the head or rocker cover or whatever its called.. its got a hairline crack but i'm pretty sure i can weld that. i dunno, just looking for advice... any input would be appricated... and i know its a honda forum, but i just got a good deal and couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
505 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
well, i know the piston and jug are trash, since i've got to replace those, should i go ahead and get a big bore kit?? The top of the head or rocker cover or whatever its called.. its got a hairline crack but i'm pretty sure i can weld that. i dunno, just looking for advice... any input would be appricated... and i know its a honda forum, but i just got a good deal and couldn't pass it up.
First thing you need to before you start a build is determine what type of ridding you want to do, what is your budget? the hairline crack you speak of is more than likely a casting line from the manufacture of the head, in any case Bo can take care of ya, including repairing the head if it is a crack and is repairable...Bo is top notch.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you are going to keep it then the best bang would be to take it to a 686 with a stage 2 cam. If you want some more then do the stroker crank that will take it to a 719. I did the Hot Rod crank with a CP piston, stage 3 hot cam, Kibble White valves FCRs and porting and put a lot of hours on it. Bo White aka Velociraptor can get you going. I would contact him. You can make some awesome power with any Raptor combo. Good Luck and open the wallet up

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A stage two with double thunder cookies?? well.... i dont know about all that, im just trying to get a running 4wheeler for cheap... As far as performance goes, i'm just looking for stock... give or take. This weekend i'll tear down the bottom end/tranny and see if there is any damage... If there is i'll just part it out, if not i'll try and find a stock jug/piston and get it going, then go from there. I already have my dream machine (the 700xx) so this is just something to kindof keep me busy on the weekends kinda thing. Really, my question is, what do i need to do to it while its apart? What are some cheap mods that could give me better performance? While i'm replacing stuff on the top end, what are some reccomendations (keep in mind i'm going for cheap, not drag bike)..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Look on Bluetraxx there is a carb trick called the clear tube method that will help your throttle response and its basically free. It does take a little effort to set it up, but when I was running my stock carbs and did the CTM you could definitely tell a difference. Other than that, Run a good air filter (Lid off if you can), exhaust, correct jetting and maybe a cdi to raise the rev limiter will make you happy. They (660's) just dont compare to the 700R or the XX but you will still have fun. I still have a Ricky Stator cdi if you are interested.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You can resleeve the jug and bump the compression up. 686's sure do run good for the money!

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I still have a Ricky Stator cdi if you are interested.
I do need a new stator... I'm high bidder on one on ebay right now, but if that falls through i would be interested in yours. ...but a few questions. Is it better than stock or what? And how much you want for it? How used is it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts