Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i got a ticket by a state trooper yesterday on i-49 goin 92 in a 70. first off, i didnt even know my truck could go that fast and second i just put some 20s on it a few days ago so i knew my speedometer would be off, but not that bad. It only showed 75. Well, needless to say, i tried to politely talk my way out of it but it didnt work so i tried my connections to see about getting it reduced or fixed but no one could due to where it was at. Now, ive heard that you can call the DA's office and reason with them and they may at least reduce it for you but i want to see all my options. i know everyone on here's gotten at least one ticket and got out of it, so any ideas? this is my first offence and i'd really like it if it didnt go on my record.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
PLEASE tell me this wasn't in the City of Washington. I *just* paid a ticket to those assholes for 81 in a 70. They are famous for being a speed trap. Hell, all of I-49 is. When I would drive from Dallas to New Orleans I would stay on I-20 and keep driving East till I got to I-55 because of those assholes. The City of Washington writes tickets for people passing through with dark tint, missing or taillights that are out. If you can imagine it they write tickets for it. Their whole shit-town is based off of traffic tickets.

Sorry, venting.

Yes, call the DA and start working out a deal early. Got extra time? See if you can wash fire trucks to pay for a reduced fine. Just have the attitude that you made a HUGE mistake and that you're hard on money and that you would like to make it right.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually it was in mansfield. but my exgirlfriends mom got one in Washington a few months back. that town is bad, but so is woodsworth. i'm in college so i am definately hard on money right now....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah its cool. hopefully i can get somethin done to it at least. 92 in a 70 really doesnt look good on my part. lol but seriously, anyone else with ideas hit me up please....

·
Registered
377 Posts
Go to court and plead no contest. If the judge does not offer then ask for no points but will pay the fine and accept going to driving class. The courts only want the money. They realy don't care about giving you points. OH! Dress up when you go to court. Shorts, Jeans, T-shirts, and flip flops will get you no were. LOL

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any advice on how to get out of it--I've had to pay almost all of mine. But I would give you a word of warning. It's not likely a wheel and tire change would mess your speedometer up that badly. So if it was really reading 75, I'd borrow a GPS unit and try to get a feel for how bad it's off--there's something else wrong with it. Or you can do the simple method--watch your odometer between mile markers. If your odometer reads .81 miles instead of 1.0, your speedometer is actually off that far, so watch yourself.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'm hopin I can at least get it reduced. How much would a ticket like that be?

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
I've personally never had a ticket, but if I were you I would get a lawyer and take it to court. Tell them your speedo was off and you didn't know it. Also try and get a shop to verify this. I believe 20mph over the limit is considered reckless driving and you might lose your license? If not there is gonna be a big fine coming your way! Us Truck Drivers call them "driving awards"! Good luck and SLOW down! :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've personally never had a ticket, but if I were you I would get a lawyer and take it to court. Tell them your speedo was off and you didn't know it. Also try and get a shop to verify this. I believe 20mph over the limit is considered reckless driving and you might lose your license? If not there is gonna be a big fine coming your way! Us Truck Drivers call them "driving awards"! Good luck and SLOW down! :)
I agree.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Talk to the DA. It's worked everytime for me.

20" Wheels aren't going to cause that much of a percentage in speed. Use this calculator to see how much your speed changes.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

Usually tire size contributes more. Like when you go from 285/70/16 to 37x13.50x20 - that till make a BIG difference, but not 92/75 difference.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I always got out of my speeding tickets... But that was because I was Military and the cops never even wrote them. Wish I could help.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
yeah go get your speedo fixed and bring the judge the receipt they will dismiss it with court cost most lickly if its a cool judge he will dismiss it all together

yeah it will probabbly cost you $100 but it beets giving it to the state

even if its only off 10mph they will dismiss it in most cases because the highway patroll usually will not waist thier time on anyone under 10 over city cops on the otherhand your screwed

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea. That's a good idea. Gettin it fixed then shown the judge the receipt. Thanks. I'll probably do that. Anyone know where to find someone to do it in louisiana?

·
Premium Member
410 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
dont get a lawyer... it's a speeding ticket, not a murder case... get your truck calibrated, and show it to the court

1 - 20 of 45 Posts