Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some info fellas...:confused: Thanks

Did you take the tires off?
Did you buff up the wheel prior to primer?
Did you primer?
How many coats of finish?
How's it holding up?
Any want to do a step by step...? I've got flat hammered black on standby, ready to go...:hey:

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
Did you take the tires off?
Yes. I also taped the tires so as not to get paint on them.

Did you buff up the wheel prior to primer?
No, but looking back I should have.

Did you primer?
Should have.

How many coats of finish?
2 coats of fail with the hammered and 2 coats of gloss black with Krylon.

How's it holding up?
Not so good. It was 1st scuffed up...and then I pressure washed it really good after a muddy ride. It peeled off like crazy.

Any want to do a step by step...? I've got flat hammered black on standby, ready to go...
That was actually what I used 1st and wasn't pleased at all with the results. Instead of a "hammered" look it gave it a "fisheye" look.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
364 Posts
I used wheel paint, no primer nuttin... It was on an older POS quad, but held up extremely well.

Got the paint at the local auto store, said "wheel paint".

·
Registered
984 Posts
Avoid "buffing" the wheels, paint does not adhere to polished sufaces well and any compound/grease left behind will interfere with paint adhesion and cause "fish eye". The surface of the wheels needs to be well scuffed (no shiney spots) use a scotch-brite pad or wet sand paper (400 grit), then use a metal prep cleaner to remove any residue before painting. I know this might sound like overkill, but the secret to a good paint job is a better prep job. The wheel paint mentioned by double 0 xx is probably the best choice in a spray can. You should be able to find the prep cleaner near the paint at any automotive store.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I removed my wheels and then scotch brightened them to dull the surface and make it a little rougher for adhesion. I then had them ran through our 5-stage acid bath and rinse with Halo rinse. Through a dry off oven and then into a cooler and then powder coated and baked. If you are interested I can powder coat them for you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gonna try the tried & true method used from the USMC airframing days:

Acid Etch
Zinc Primer (if I can still find it...damn yuppies)
Finish Primer
Acrylic Finish (hammered or flat)
Clear Finish (pr'olly matte)

I'll try and do a step by step...if they come out clean.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
If you can't find actual Zinc primer some Cold Galv from a welding store will work just as well. I think the actual Zinc primer is limited to Industrial Sales.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Figuring that I'm saving for the ITP Baja's, I cheated...

A few postcards, scotchbrite, Simple Green, Carb Cleaner, Self-Etching Primer....and whalla

Before:

During:

After:

We'll see how they hold up... :confused:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I really want to paint mine. Can't wait to see how yours hold up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
So how's it holding up, fooleo? Still looking to paint the wheels on my 400EX.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Its been done and does not hold up. Powder coat or rhino lining is you best bet.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
duplicolor makes a bed liner in a can... i don't know how they'll hold up on the tires, but i just used it on some a arms and tie-rods, and held up great this weekend

·
Registered
15 Posts
The paint wont hold up spin in some mud and its like sand paper it will come off. The bed liner in a can walmart sells it for less than $10 a can have never painted rims with it but i have a frame and it held up great just use some paint thinner and clean the surface good and that should hold up.:hey:

·
Registered
354 Posts
The paint wont hold up spin in some mud and its like sand paper it will come off. The bed liner in a can walmart sells it for less than $10 a can have never painted rims with it but i have a frame and it held up great just use some paint thinner and clean the surface good and that should hold up.:hey:

i definately think if prepped right paint would hold up good, not as good as powdercoat, but look at the price difference, i am going to degrease, sand, degrease, prep with acetone, let dry and prime then undercoat my 2 front spares this weekend and see how they come out...i'm hoping it will stick well and i can just armor all them to make them appear shinier black ???

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would say forget painting and just get them powdercoated, I can get mine done for 35 per wheel. Your gonna spend close to that on primer, paint, and clearcoat, plus other stuff like sandpaper or degreasers. In the end even a great paint job still scratch and chip off. Powdercoat will hold up alot better in the long run.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would say forget painting and just get them powdercoated, I can get mine done for 35 per wheel. Your gonna spend close to that on primer, paint, and clearcoat, plus other stuff like sandpaper or degreasers. In the end even a great paint job still scratch and chip off. Powdercoat will hold up alot better in the long run.

You're right, i know powdercoating is alot better, i forget how much all the little stuff costs because my garage is packed with crap so i dont really consider costs of things like sandpaper and such...I also dont know anyone who powdercoats for cheap, well i do, but they suck at it compared to the quality i used to get up north. I mean I usd to go to burt stegmaier in tmaqua and WOW, his jobs were like glass and i beat the snot out of them with no problems, here in NC, I had some streetbike parts done by one guy, some dirtbike parts done by another and my friend had his neighbor do some parts for his thre wheeler and his streetbike, i'm not happy with ANY of it...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.