Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have problems with the suspension squeeking? I am getting some noise that seems to be getting worse from the rear a-arms. Surprised that there are no zerk fittings for grease like my old DS650.

·
Registered
528 Posts
try putting a little grease around the shock seal and bouncing on it, the seal may just be dry from age.you can wipoe the grease clean after bouncing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Scuzz,

I noticed some squeaking as well. However, it was after riding some very wet trails last week. I'm going to remove the shock bolts as per the service manual and grease them with some rubber safe grease. I'm betting this will solve the problem.

And yeah, I wish they had zerc fittings on them too!

I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was hoping Honda had this figured out by now, oh well. I've had a lot of Honda's and they all, at some point, have started squeaking in at least one suspension pivot point (I think my Pilot squeaked at every single one). I've just grown to accept it, and would rather have those nice tight dry pivot points squeak than have abrasive sand and grime collecting on greaseable pivot points.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had that happen to me too. I thought for sure it was coming from my rear shock. The squeak turned out to be the black plastic retainers that help hold on the rear sway bars! Just take them off (really easy to do) and put some grease in there. After you take the bolts out, the black little block just splits in two pieces. Grease them, then slap them back together....just like that, your squeak is gone!!! It worked for me, so it is definately worth a try. Good luck!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yes sir, time for some lubrication !!! thats your bushings sayin "help me !!!"

I took mine apart and greased all the bolts and bushings on the a-arms, shocks, sway bar, exhaust mounts, levers, my wheel nuts and steering 2 months ago and zero squeaks yet...

Powerwash the living heck out of it, (I do mine standing on the grab bar to make sure it's nice and "squeaky" clean, haha) just take stuff apart, wipe the bushings and bolts and grease the snot out of them then assemble and wipe off the excess (or not if you want your quad to look like an old leakypiece of farm equipment), actually, wipe it good, excess grease attracts krud and krud is no good for bushings...

Regular automotive grease is ok, CV joint grease is better, but i'll tell you a secret, I have worked in manufacturing, tooling and molding for most of my life and, well, get yourself some "OLD BULL" mold grease..i tried lithium, molybednum and more and this stuff PERFORMS awesome, even if you put it on and wipe it off it leaves a nice film on there, water wont budge it and it's meant to go on and stay on in harsh environments withsatnding temperatures and pressures normal lubricants cant...

Specifications:•Forms Adherent Yet Slippery Film -told ya !•Won't Wipe Off Through Tight Bushings -hmmm where have i seen tight bushings before ?•Superior Lubricity from -22 to +500 deg F -wow !•Waterproof -water ? none of us ever get our quads wet, do we ?•Anti-Corrosive -oh yes, corrosion bad !•Non-Melting -stays thick, i've seen it on platen bars that were 180 degrees still super thick and working as it should !•Non-Silicone -dont know if that matters really•Homogenized at 6000 psi -very consistant from the top of the jar to the bottom !!!•USDA H-1 -clean stuff !!!
I think , yup just checked, a 4oz jar that will grease your bushings about a million times and even fun to put under your nosy neighbors door handles is only like 5 bucks...

http://www.imscompany.com/Public/ItemDetailsPage.aspx?ProdCodeTitle=Grease&item=105998

i'm sure you can use other stuff, but this grease is SERIOUS stuff...and no matter what you use here's another tip, use a solder brush or small paint brush to apply it, saves you a big mess !!!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
next year when i do my a-arm berrings im gona put in zerk fittings just like i did to my recon it takes about 15min a a-arm with a drill and tap... ill do a "how to"

my front spring were rubben against the plastic guard i just sanded them down a lil.

·
Registered
538 Posts
yep, mine just started squeaking recenly, actually since i brought it back from hatfield. It was some extreme wet riding, im assuming the factory grease has just worn off. Ive sprayed down all of the a-arm/shock bushings with WD/40 but it didnt make a difference.

·
Registered
354 Posts
yep, mine just started squeaking recenly, actually since i brought it back from hatfield. It was some extreme wet riding, im assuming the factory grease has just worn off. Ive sprayed down all of the a-arm/shock bushings with WD/40 but it didnt make a difference.

didja spray your swaybar and steering bushings ?, don't be scared, put the sniper barrel on that can and soak them, wd40 wont hut anything, just dont soak your brakes...

i would grease them though with the stickiest thickest stuff you can find and do it soon before you have to replace them unless you want to swap for some aftermarket ones...

I agree...grease zerks are a good idea too and easy and cheap to install !!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
didja spray your swaybar and steering bushings ?, don't be scared, put the sniper barrel on that can and soak them, wd40 wont hut anything, just dont soak your brakes...

i would grease them though with the stickiest thickest stuff you can find and do it soon before you have to replace them unless you want to swap for some aftermarket ones...

I agree...grease zerks are a good idea too and easy and cheap to install !!!

Sure didnt (i will now that you mentioned it), yeah i agree, the nastiest stuff you can find works best, i used to grease the bushings on my 400ex with chain lube

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sure didnt (i will now that you mentioned it), yeah i agree, the nastiest stuff you can find works best, i used to grease the bushings on my 400ex with chain lube
i used chain wax with a sniper barrel to pinpoint my sqeak, it was the front a-arms and the swaybar bushings, the rears werent really noisy yet, that sucks though, brand new quad and you look like a jerk because it sounds like a frickin 1965 chevy pickup, haha

just grease them all brotha, you will be glad you did...zerks may take some extra time to install, but they are like 10 cents each and you could grease your machine on a schedule then with ease !!!

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
I need to grease mine. It also started squeekng really bad after hatfield! It's definately coming from the rear? I'll try greasing the sway bar deal and see if that helps. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mine squeaks..the a-arms and other moving joints on the susupension need greased..at least if you install grease fitings you dont have to grind into the frame..honda did that for you..unlike the 450r...sad day grinding space for the fitings to only have two of them BREAK OFF AND CANT GET THEM OUT!!! sorry..got frustrated

·
Registered
340 Posts
Folks you will find most off the squeeking is coming from you shocks not the a-arms, cause if the arms were squeeking that bad they would be almost dry and I dought there at that point yet. Get in there with some WD40 around the shock springs etc. Mine done it on and off when I had Ohlins rears I just sprayed in some WD and she is fine untill I hit the real dusty stuff again.

Overlord

·
Registered
6 Posts
My noise was at every a-arm mounting point that was steel.The aluminum (factory)a-arm mounting points had pins and bushings which still had grease in them but the steel (factory) a-arms had no grease left and were starting to rust.Only like 250 hours on machine in fairly wet terrain though.So I remove every steel a-arm point (one a-arm at a time)and loaded them up with Belray waterproof grease we will see how long it lasts.All seals were still in good condition and the noises are gone.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
i have had to replace all my upper a-arm bushings on front and back they started to have play in them:atv::atv:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts