Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my friends!

On a scale of 1-10 how hard is it to install a stage 2 cam? Also, what mods could I do to my 700 that are under $200.00?

I plan on getting a Lexx Slip on too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
IMO, I'd save the money and skip the slip on. Yo're better off with a programmer and an air mod of some sort. To keep it really cheap and still be able to feel a difference:

13 tooth front sprocket: $15
EFI Programmer: $200
New air filter: $30
Remove the airbox lid: Free!

As for the cam, it's a 5 in my book due to the not needing to change the valve springs. I wouldn't even think of touching the cam unless I had head work, higher comp piston, full exhaust, efi programmer and an air filter solution.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright thanks man! I'll skip the Slip on, and cam. Thanks for the quick reply!

One more thing, I am a cheapass and plan on running my quad with airbox lid off.
Will this do any damage to my prized machine?:confused:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Make sure you use a good air filter & keep you air filter serviced regularly and you will be good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Totally agree with above. If you're not a mud riding guy or someone who rides in deep water, you'll be fine. But get the programmer before you just take the lid off. The bike runs a little lean in stock form and you'll make it worse.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you limit is $200, then I would do what ironchef2009 suggested, although I feel the power gains will be pretty minimal. The stock muffler is pretty restrictive, look how small the opening is and it is baffled, so a slip on would provide alot more exhaust flow, since it is just a straight though pipe. I have never tried the Lexx brand slip on's, but I have heard good things about them. I figure all slip on's are pretty much the same, not really a whole lot you can do using the stock headpipe, might as well get the cheapest one you can.

As far as a cam, I believe site sponsor EHS did a before and after dyno test on a "big 3" 700XX and Hot Cams stage 3 cam. (Dyno sheets should be on this site somewhere.) I want to say the quad picked up something like 3 or 4 horsepower after the cam install. My one 700 has the big 3 and I installed a stage 3 cam and it was a noticeable difference. What are your future plans? If you never really plan on getting into the motor, then a Stage 3 cam would be a good investment. Now if you plan on gettting the head ported eventually along with other work, then I would hold off and get a Web cam and spring kit later down the road.

For a budget motor that you never really plan on doing anything else with, I would go with a Lexx slip-on, EFI controller, remove airbox lid, and a Stage 3 cam. Will be a very noticeable difference compared to stock.

Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts