Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went riding today with my new big3 and stage 3 hot cam. Like a few other people on this forum, I'm having starting issues. It finally started, I popped the clutch in the parking area on grass, slowly rode over to the kiddie track at our riding location while everyone else geared up and all of a sudden, when you gassed it would jerk left. That's when I realized the almighty new found power that my quad has...

Now it's time to figure out how to fix it. I already have another CV shaft so that's not what i'm concerned about. What i'm concerned about is how to get this shaft out of the center of this carrier.

Why it broke...
For those of you that might think the omnipotent 700xx has too much power and gets too much traction, this is why the broke. Before I got the cam chain replaced earlier this year, I was replacing the left side CV shaft... the manual says you have to remove the right side, take a nut off and it all comes out. Well the problem was the right side wouldn't come out. I had pry bars with extensions and it wouldn't just "pop" out like it was explained to me that it would. Well, I ended trying to "split" it by wedging a chisel and hammer - but I had ground the end of the chisel off so that it wasn't coming in contact with the actual shaft - but just that it was prying them apart. Well, I will attribute this to my hammer a chisel. You may call me Thor.

Currently, my thoughts are to drill it out. What are yours?

These pictures don't really mean much, but i'm posting them anyway...

What's wrong with this pic?! Oh... and yes, I did go for about a 4 mile ride with a ONE wheel wonder... it wasn't much fun, but it worked.

·
Registered
258 Posts
just a though may or may not work but maybe you could drill into the center of it and stick something in the hole like a heavy duty bolt and reverse tap it out

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about that. Does anyone know if you can access the otherside and push it out? Either with a press or punch and hammer? I seem to be pretty good at using one of those.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Current solution - weld a nut to the broke off shaft. Then thread a slide hammer into it and try to get it out.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heat is your friend... most likely its rusted solid... just remove the nut and lh axle and replace both
I just replaced the left side. Well most of the left side. The center wasn't replaced cause I couldn't get the right side out so we just took the shaft out of the inside joint on the left side and replaced all of that since that's what was popping.

I'm starting to dislike IRS right now.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
when u pulled mine apart i had to use 2 flat blades and pound them in from opposite sides(with the carrier off bike) to pop it loose... there was almost no grease on the splines and they had a fair amount of rust for it being a Sand only bike in Cali.

RECOMMEND EVERYONE to Remove the RH axle and grease the splines

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RECOMMEND EVERYONE to Remove the RH axle and grease the splines
AGREE! Welding of the nut happens tomorrow. Hope this slide hammer is big enough...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wooohoo! And we're fixed! Came out fairly painlessly! New shaft got good and lubed up before insertion.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
5WOP3,
Contrats! That looked like some serious work.
Sid
All in all, it wasn't that bad, took it apart, welded the bolts and nuts together, yanked it out, greased up the new shaft, slid it in and put it all back together in about 3 hours.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm going to put both sprockets and chain on new next weekend looks like it would be good to take the time to take shafts out and grease. Thanks for all of the pictures Thor. More power always finds the weak spots.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts