Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to hear what you guys thought from stock to HC3.

Did you lose any power anywhere through out the rpm range?
Did you gain any power where you thought you wouldn't?
Did it make it harder to start?
Is reliability the same?
Did your gas mileage decrease?
Do you wish you had gone with a stage 2?

ANYTHING negative about this cam

anything else?

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
I think stage 2 is a mistake to be honest. HC3 still drops in and you get a better power band all the way to red line. I ran the HC3 and loved it, really no complaints at all. Good all around power! Easy installation and changing the EHS bullet box settings was breeze. Eric walked me through it over the phone, excellent customer service from EHS.
Other than the built Raptor I was the fastest machine. All my races in the dunes video were with the HC3. I was beating big 3 450's with skat traks and smooth buffs. I was running aerospeeds and kenda 6ply klaws. If I had the same tire set up I'd be smoking them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwQCB5A9tE4

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet video!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so I see the benefit in drag racing, but i only do that for about 20 mins everytime we go ride. The rest of the time is spent in tight trails. How is this cam there?

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Ok, so I see the benefit in drag racing, but i only do that for about 20 mins everytime we go ride. The rest of the time is spent in tight trails. How is this cam there?
Its totally fine, its not a super aggressive cam so it works awesome in the trails. The throttle response was awesome and if you want to build down the road you can still hit mid 50's power wise. Here is Valk680's big bore with stage 3 hot cam vs my ehs build.

My cam is a lot bigger and I had a more aggressive port. Thats why I carry power longer.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much will an HC3 on a stock motor dyno?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and what do these make stock?

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Are all stage 3 cams the same? I'm thinking about dropping one in but the only one I'd drop in is one from Eric. But I'm wondering if they are all the same. I'd think that the specs would be the same?

Regards, Joe.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
All the HOTCAMS ones will be the same. Other than that every company is different. Not every cam is drop in and non Eric makes that I know of are drop in so I wouldn't say that you would only drop his in.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think i'm going to be happy with the big3 + cam. I just need to beat some pesky outlaws. Not that i'm losing, its just insurance. ;)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've ordered a s3 , just to get me by till ,I can afford to get it done properly. :D
Not to correct you obe wan, but I dont think a stage 3 is the "improper" way to do it either.

I now firmly believe if you're looking for a cookie cutter working reliable setup for more power - this is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Not to correct you obe wan, but I dont think a stage 3 is the "improper" way to do it either.

I now firmly believe if you're looking for a cookie cutter working reliable setup for more power - this is the way to go.
Nothing wrong with the s3 but it will not get me to where ,I want to be. That's why I am building "Frankenstien" and trust me ,they don't build them parts yet !:D

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
all stg 3 hot cams are the same (supposed to be anyways) thats model specific obviously. If other people call different stages of own cams then they are gonna be different

cam profiles will have certain specs lift, duration and centerline basically when, how long, how high the cam will open the valves. Cam design a little goes a long ways on certain aspects

if you hold a big cam in your hand and a stock one you can really almost not tell a difference by eye but there is a big difference

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Baxter - are you referring to the S3 and the Hot Cam Stage 3 as the same cam?

Is my quad going to sound different with a stage 3 hot cam?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts