Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are steel braided brake lines a worthwhile mod? I've never put them on a quad, only my cars. I see Rocky Mountain has some fronts on clearance for $40. I'm using the stock stem with a 1 1/8" adapter that raises the bars about 3/4", I'm waiting for a set of Flexx 14 degree quadracer bars. I'm hoping if I get the new lines the will be long enough for my setup.

·
Registered
528 Posts
for stopping i say they are useless because the front tires slide too much, but for $40 i say why not...they wont get broken/torn as easily as stock and it sounds like you need more length for your other mods.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I don't know of anyone that has ever torn or broken their stock brake lines. Thing about steel braided lines is that they feel more solid because the don't expand under braking pressure like stock lines. This can be a double edged sword... Yes, they will feel more solid, but they will be easier to lock up your brakes instead of braking under control.

roadkill

·
Registered
528 Posts
I don't know of anyone that has ever torn or broken their stock brake lines. Thing about steel braided lines is that they feel more solid because the don't expand under braking pressure like stock lines. This can be a double edged sword... Yes, they will feel more solid, but they will be easier to lock up your brakes instead of braking under control.

roadkill

i havent either i was just thinking if some type of debris or something caught it. i dont think its needed but $40 is cheap.i just dont feel the need for them on a quad.

·
Registered
734 Posts
That is what you think until you try them out, you will feel more solid braking (eliminates spongy feeling while braking) and thus you will have more control on brake pressure. It is a worthwhile mod IMO.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I actually think it is a must do mod. I have always had to go with new lines since I go with wider a-arms, but even if I stayed stock width, I would still buy them. The feel at the lever is so much better with them. With the stock rubber lines, the lever is kind of spongey and does not have a good feel. Once you go to the braided lines, the lever becomes much firmer and I think it actually makes braking more consistant. I have never had a problem locking up the front brakes, but I think the braided lines would help to not have them lock up since you have a better feel at the lever. I need to place a order from Rocky Mountain today anyway, and $40 is a great price, I guess I need to go look into that!

Doug

·
Registered
104 Posts
Anyone know where I should pickup a 51" or 52" dual line kit? I have looked at Streamline and Galfer. I am leaning towards a Galfer custom. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
104 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts