Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you rolled it huh? Bent the stem? Or does it turn significantly more to one direction than the other? :lmao:

Mine did all of that, so I put a new stem in it tonight.

Time: 2 hours.
Tools:
Needle Nose Pliers
5mm Alan wrench
14mm open end wrench
8mm socket
10mm socket
14mm socket (deep)
19mm socket
3/8 Drive Ratchet

I took quite a few pics of how I did this... its really pretty easy, there is just alot that you have to take off to get to actually pulling the stem out - but its not too bad at all. Here we go, i'll explain each picture.

This is how we start. You'll need the 5mm Alan Wrench to take the 6 alan head screws out of the red piece of plastic.

Once that is off, pull the plastic piece behind the light off.

There are 2 10mm Bolts on each side of the headlight that you need to remove to take the headlight out. Once those bolts are removed, the headlight has to slide up or down to come out. Make sure you unplug it as well.
You will also want to take the plastic grill off. Just pull the 4 - 10mm bolts out of it and it slides right out.

These next few pics are what you need to look for if your steering stem is indeed bent. It will ripple up like this.

Use the 8mm socket to undo the brake line from the steering stem clamp. then remove the wires out of the wire catches. Take the handle bars off by undoing the four bolts on top with a 10mm socket for the clamps.

My Quad was on an ATV jack so it made this easy, but once you get under it, this is what you'll see. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the cotter pins out. Once all the pins are out, start by removing the inside ball joints. They are a 14mm on the bottom and you'll need a 14mm wrench on the top of them so they don't spin. Then the larger center nut is a 19mm, loose and remove the nut.

Back up on top is the clamp that has 2 - 12mm bolts holding the stem in place. Remove these two bolts and fish the stem out. You might need to give the stem a tap on the bottom with a hammer to get it going.

Once the stem was out, I just kinda looked it over, sorry for the blurry pictures. The rubber piece will need to be saved and used on the new stem. I made sure I put A LOT of wheel bearing grease on the top part of the new stem and the bottom part where it goes into the frame.

Reverse this procedure for installation of the new stem. I tightened up the large nut at the bottom before I put the clamp on at the top of the stem.

I remounted my dash under the red piece as you can see because I plan to get some new handle bars and the dash would fit on them. I personally like how this looks as well. Now if the key and reverse lever could be moved up there as well!

·
Registered
207 Posts
couple of quick ones..
1) how do you just adjust the steering? I hit a tree stump and it is off by alittle.
AND
2) How did you make the indicator light deal?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
couple of quick ones..
1) how do you just adjust the steering? I hit a tree stump and it is off by alittle.
AND
Thanks!
1. I pretty much just guessed. I stuck a 2x4 along the side of the quad and made sure the tires were straight and the handle bars were straight. I think I rode it up and down the street to make sure it actually went straight.

2. Double side sticky tape. I recommend using velcro though. That way if you have to take it off you dont have to retape everytime. I had to shave just a little bit of that lip off so you could actually see the lights though. Makes it look A LOT better and you dont have to buy anything else if you change handle bars (next for me)

·
Registered
243 Posts
couple of quick ones..
AND
Thanks!
Use 5WOP3's instructions for question #2.

For question #1, again use 5WOP3's instructions plus:
1) Sit on the quad and move the handlebars around until they look straight

2) Use a straight 2x4 and place it half way up the tires on either side of the quad.... you'll see that when your handlebars are straight the 2x4 will touch the back tire and either the front of your front tire or the back of your front tire..... it should touch the front and back of the front tire simultaneously if it is aligned properly

3) If it only touches the front of the front tire or only the back of the front tire, then it is not aligned properly.

4) In this case, there is a gold rod that runs from your front wheel to the steering column (you'll see it right there with your front A-arms).

5) Loosen the nuts on either end of this gold rod and make your adjustments with the long nut at the center of the gold rod.

6) Turn it two times in either direction.

7) Tighten the nuts at either end of the gold rod.

8) Sit on the seat and adjust the handlebars so they look straight again.

9) Check your wheel alignment with the 2x4 and repeat process until the front wheels line up with the back wheels

10) Check both sides of the quad

I am traveling right now, so I didn't have my quad to look at when I was writting this. I am sure I missed something, so if anyone has anything to add, please do so.

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Things to add:

I use tiedowns to hold the bars straight.So no chance of movement when adjusting.
On the gold rod , one nut is right hand thread and one is left hand. so take care when loosening the locknuts.
I set mine at 6mm toe in ,but this my preferance and if the manual say's 0mm . Set it to 0mm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i had to fix my stem not long after i got mine! rolled it backwards about 3 times, before it bent! then i took it out, cut out bent area, replaced it with roll cage tubing, welded it back together. havent had and problems since.

·
Registered
258 Posts
what do u need to remove the lower steering stem bearing or are they easy to get out i need to know ill have mine tore down this weekend im gonna go ahead and replace them while it out

·
Registered
381 Posts
When I first got my xx home the bars felt out of wack. I knew the prior owner rolled it and replaced the bars. but after a non manual tear down the OEM shaft had a 10 deg bend near the top. After a few wacks with a 10 lb hammer it was a little straighter but the tube walls are thin and now slightly flat. I ended up supporting it with some 2x4s and straightened it out to about 1 deg. Then a small ball peen hammer to fix the flats, reassembled and "good as almost new"
"If she doesn't find you handsome at least she'll find you handy" Red Green

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
So my brother ran my atv in to a tree and bent the sh!t out of my stem and bars. I bought a new set of bars from member Seabass on here (great guy, good purchase) and a new steering stem from Mrcycles.com (http://goo.gl/e40WM), #3 which in the picture appears to be the correct part. The part that I received, however, was quite different from the correct part.
I take off the plastics and the headlight, and look at my stem. I look at the replacement I bought, then look back at the stem. This is what I see:

The stem is very different from the one in the picture, and the actual one on the bike. It's about 5" shorter than it should be, and it's missing the entire steering limiter and mounting points for the tie rods. It also has these bolts welded to it (circled in red) that are not present on the stock stem. I'm not too pleased right now. I live in canada and getting this thing was a hassle, and any inconveniences are going to be quite difficult to resolve.
I think I will be able to take the stem out and weld it back true at school, but I will possibly need an extension of some sort like coolkev25 did. I dont know what tubing I'll need to do that but I should be able to figure it out.
Anyone have any thoughts? I'm pretty rattled about this whole deal, its pretty inconvenient.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Isnt that one for the trx 700 4x4 not the xx? no way to get that to work lol sorry
how bad is the oem? I was able to restraighten mine with some proper application of pressure. just be carefull the oem shaft has rather thin metal.
GBA Merry Christmas

·
Registered
180 Posts
Great write up, man. Maybe this is why my left tire rubs the nerd bars slightly when I have the bars cranked all the way. �� Ya think?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.