Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Just fine

Votes: 4 11.4%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like YOUR opinion on the stock FRONT shocks... based on YOUR experience with them.

If you have an opinion that is not covered in the 3 poll options, please share.

roadkill

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Agree. I may use the stock fronts as pogo sticks when I get my elkas

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The front shocks are way too stiff. If I were younger and liked to fly through the air maybe they would be OK for me but not so. Don't get me wrong, I still would like to fly through the air but I am afraid the landing would not be pretty.:lmao:
Sid

·
Registered
369 Posts
way to soft they botom out all the time and i am only 130 but the back shocks are just about perfect for me

·
Registered
574 Posts
#4 Junk.
I am not sure they are too hard or soft, the issue is no compression or rebound dampening.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Way too soft . Running 8.0kg/mm on the Elka S1. A stock rear 450r spring is 7.7 kg/mm. Race Tech dont do a stiffer spring for the front, so going for a differant shock builder/manufacturer for 2011.
Basically running Wiigstyle Racing 2 spring rear kit on the front with 20mm preload for XC. I,ll let you how the new shocks work. :D
Plus I weigh 155lbs .

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I think they were a bit soft for me, I kept bottoming out and I dont jump much. Switched to Evols in the front and for the 2 rides I got prior to breaking my steering stem and going overseas I am happy with them.

I like the whole Poll idea Roadkill, seems random.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Too soft initially and seemed to degrade really fast. At 20 hrs they were shot...that seems terrible to me...they are cheap shocks, but come on...

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Too soft for me i stiffened them up with the preload on them one turn and they dont bottom out as bad but now the rebound seems too fast. Just cheap oem shocks with no adjustment besides spring preload.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The fronts are not great, not as bad as the backs IMO though.
Think I agree with you. The stock fronts are about the same softness as my elkas but still bottomed out unlike the elkas and rebound is too quick on the stock ones. I think I should have done my rear shocks first because my rears feel like steel poles which is great for drifting but beats me up on the trails since I'm very light. My next step is Wiigstyle redo my rears.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I would put the Elka s1 as a stock replacement but it is rebuildiable . The thing I learnt this year is with the s1 only being rebound adjustiable , the rebound also effects the compression stroke.
For someone a budget they would be a step up but if you ride hard and fast or race . Save ya money and get a better shock (s3 or equivilant) .
Trying Motowoz shocks next year. Elka seems off to me on there settings and Fox dont have the service support that the US has. Jim at Motowoz seems a nice guy that would listen to my input . :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I will vote #4 as well. They bottom out every time i jump even if its just 3 or 4 feet. Im at 200 lbs so not the lightest rider but these shocks dont soak up anything.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
For me they were too soft. They allowed too much body roll and bottomed out on even the slightest of jumps. Also after a season of riding they don't even dampen any more. They just bounce and can't be serviced.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
im 140.. the front are way to soft... even with the preload cranked up... the backs are good for me even last year i was 125 and they seamed good...i cranked up the pre load in the rear for better sliden...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts