Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on how to break the locknut so I can acctually adjust the suspension? As i've used a mallet and screw driver it just spins, there's gotta be a better way. Is it a 2 person job? because from reading it sounds like some people were able to do it by themselves. let me know, thx.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
When you say that it spins, are u saying that both of them are spinning and if so, sounds kind of weird since I was able to adjust them with a hammer and screw driver by tapping the top spindle out then adjusting the bottom one if you know what I'm saying.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I used a flat punch and a hammer to break them loose. But I started with the bottom one and broke it loose by spinning it down and bottoming it out. After that I just spun the top to where I wanted it( about a quarter of an inch ) and then spun the bottom up to match. I counted the threads also to make sure that they were even. Dont be afraid to hit it hard. They are not just going to spin freely at first. It also helps to lift the front end of the xx off the ground to relieve the pressure on the springs. Just make sure the P brake is on and it is secure in the air before you start banging on stuff.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i had mine on it's end up in the air. I'm guessing that the bottom lock nut wasn't tight against the bottom because both of them just spun albeit slowly. I was hitting it pretty hard since I was indenting the metal with a flat head screw driver. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
I mark mine prior of adjusting them up and when I rode last week, I could tell a difference with the rear ones. The front ones are Elkas so they are great!!

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Try knocking the locking loose first (the top one) and free that up, then you should be able to just rotate the spring which will rotate the bottom nut. Simple as that, and rotate it to the point you want, and then bring the top nut down to where you want it and give it a nice slap w/ the hammer and screwdriver.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Are we talking about the front or the rear?:confused:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
front, but the rear has the same lock

·
Registered
788 Posts
I was just wondering because I had described the fronts and crwh45 was describing the rears. Any luck yet?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't messed with it again yet, I got really frustrated with it last time I tried.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I was just wondering because I had described the fronts and crwh45 was describing the rears. Any luck yet?
I was describing the fronts

HAHA, but just realized that I am ass backwards, and that the nuts are on the bottom, exactly what I said just instead of top insert BOTTOM, LOL. I am sorry. I was like I just adjusted mine, but that's on the ds450s haha.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I used a big flat screw driver and heavy hammer. Not to be an ass but you are turning it the right way right? It's standard right, tight left loose. When you have the quad off it's tires and get the one closest to the spring loose you can turn it by hand. I bought a spanner and don't really need it. Got my fronts half way, I'm 210 and it's very ridable now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts