Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share my story with this site for fun.

I bought a stolen and recovered 2008 700XX. When I bought it, it didn't run. I thought maybe it was swamped before but still decided to take a chance.

Turns out the piston was badly damaged and cracked the cylinder (obviously I didn't look it over very good because the crack goes through to the outside of the cylinder haha).

So I decided to get a Cylinder Works Big Bore 727 Kit (might as well upgrade while I'm doing all this work).

List of problems:

-Cracked Cylinder
-Squished Piston
-Broken Clutch Lever
-Broken Clutch Hub (caused by me haha)

I came in knowing nothing about motors (I wouldn't say I know anything now either). I'm hoping to bolt this kit on and have everything run fine so I can enjoy my toy.

I can add some more pics for anyone who wants to see something in particular (it is still apart waiting for dowel pins to come in).

Tire Hand Automotive tire Wheel Finger
Hand Wood Leather Metal Fashion accessory
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Alloy wheel Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Vehicle brake
Watch Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Gear

Thanks for viewing, hope you enjoyed.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Looks like it got just a little warm!!!

I would check out the cooling components to make sure they all work.

Hopefully it still ends being a good deal when you have it running again.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
bracdmcg3000,
I that just a reflection on the cam chain or is that melted aluminum on it? WOW!!!
You sure have your work cut out for you. Got to give you credit for taking on that seemingly impossible project. Sure hope you decide to pull the lower end apart. That mess on top sure makes you think what is down below especially if your going to put in a big bore kit. Best of luck. Keep us updated on your progress.
Very Respectfully,
Sid

·
Registered
268 Posts
Holy crap that looks horrible. Almost looks like someone tried to kill it. I would say the crank is most likely damaged as well judging by the piston and cylinder damage.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have just about all the bearings to rebuild the lower end except for the crank bearings and one or two others. Just rebuilt my motor a few months ago. You really don't need a clutch holding tool, just an aluminum washer to jam the gear on the back of the basket to break it lose. Propane torch, bearing extractor set with weight slide, deadblow or rubber hammer, freezer for your new bearings, arbor press, a manual, and crank puller/separator. But if this is your first time rebuilding a motor, you might want to think about paying someone else to do it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pm me if you are interested and I will give an exact list of the bearings.....And all of the bearings are from Honda.....no cross reference........I know they are more expensive but there is a reason hondas last so long

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow! That is a testimate to what a Honda motor will take before it quits

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the cylinder head seems to be fine. i dont know how that happened, when it cracked open it damaged the dowel pins as well so who knows. the cam chain is fine, and the crank looks to be unharmed as well. i saw that engine on ebay before but it has low compression so i figured it would be the same project as this one (but with the $1000+ bill for the engine). still waiting on my clutch hub to get in....

·
Registered
258 Posts
ive seen simmilar things happen to car engines when they get a gut full of water at high rpm,the large ammount of runst in the ringlands is what gives me that idea. what condition was the oil in that was left in the engine?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts