Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found 2 street bikes for sale. One is a 06 cbr 1000 and the other is a 06 gixxer 1000. they tare both in good shape. the gixxer needs a right side fairing and nose fairing because it was laid over and they got busted up. they are both $4000 dollars each and I was wondering which one I should get? also, around how much would insurance on a 1000 be? i know it depends on your age, company, and record, but how much are you that have them? and how big of a difference would the insurance price be between a 600 and a 1000?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Personally I like the GSXR better. I had an 06 GSXR and loved it. The insurance depends on a lot. State Farm wanted to charge me $160 a month. Country Financial charged me $53 a month. Not sure the price difference between a 600 and 1000 but I will tell you the perfomance difference is crazy

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input. im 18 so the insurance price is gonna be crazy even though my records clean. so i'll probably insure it under my dads name to keep it lower and just give him the money for it. lol

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I was 25 when I got mine so yeah that would be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I also like the GSXR more. I have had a 600 and a 1000 and the difference in insurance price was 19 dollars a month. I paid 64 a month for my 1000 with a speeding ticket on my record through Allstate.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Since this is a honda forum, I will stick with the cbr. I currently own a 2006 cbr1000rr and would never trade it for a gixxer, ecspecially one that needed a few hundred dollars in plastics.

As far as insurance, it all depends on what type of coverage you get. For full coverage mine was $680/year and for Liability it is $172/year. Needless to say I went with the liability. By the way I'm 33 with no points, tickets or fines. Thats the other difference from owning a honda over a gixxer, cops don't bother as much if running a honda because they know your not a squid, and the ones that do you can just out run them. :hey:

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Honestly I say don't get either one! Get a smaller bike. Don't get cought up in the "I got the fastest bike crap" it'll get u killed. Those are serious machines. Especially for an 18 year old. Both are great bikes though. The gixxer has pretty much dominated racing. I like the honda's better personally. Whatever you decide on... BE CAREFUL!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I agree, a litre bike is a huge handful and can never see full potential on the street(and by most riders not on the track either lol). A 600 or 750 is a much more ideal sized bike.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
While you may never see full potential riding a 600 compared to a 1k is a whole feeling both on acceleration and general feel. The 750 is sweet if you can find a deal on one. A nice mix of light weight and power. I had a 1k because I'm a bigger guy and they come from the factory stretched longer and the seating position is slightly less aggressive. Don't make the mistake and go under powered and want something bigger after one year. So many people do. That's why you can find tons of 600s for dirt cheap

·
Registered
497 Posts
But don't forget, chances are you will own more than one motorcycle you can always buy a new bike. You can't buy a new body. Get what your comfortable with then upgrade when you need to.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
I just think a gixxer 1000 is to much for a first bike. When I was that age I wanted a Gsxr 750. Ended up with a cbr600f4i and glad I went that way. The 600 scared the shit outta me!!! I had no need for the 750 and am glad I didn't get it for my first bike.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It all depends on the rider. My 06 GSXR 1000 was my first bike. You just have to respect the power and take it easy until you get the feel for it

·
Registered
446 Posts
Garrett, it really comes down to experience, how long have you been riding and what size bikes? If you have already been on liter bikes for over a year then at least you have some background, if it's your first bike (owned by you) I would look for something smaller. Everybody drops their first bike, whether it's just sitting and you don't get the peg down all the way or you hit a patch of wet leaves or gravel on a corner or stopping. You say you don't want to buy a bike that's too small or not going to fit you, but the same is true for a bike that's too big, except that the consequences of that can be much more serious. I'm not trying to sound like your mom, but take it from somebody who almost lost their life to a motorcycle accident in 2002 when I was 19. Start small and work your way up. It will make you a better rider. Also wear your helmet (full), Mine saved my face and my life. For the record I still ride I have had 3 bikes since the one I wrecked. 1986 Honda Magna v45 (wrecked), 2002 Kaw ZR7S, 2003 kaw Z1000, 1994 Yamaha Vmax. Just my .02

·
Registered
446 Posts
also, liability insurance on a motorcycle is a joke. My medical bills were over $120,000 before I made it home from the hospital + I still needed rehab and a home nurse for a while. Make sure to add medical to your policy and underinsured. there's no faster way to go bankrupt than to only have liablity insurance and get into an accident on a bike assuming for any reason your at fault. however even if your not, you don't know if it's some retard without insurance and you still get the bill.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've owned two 750's and a 1000 the 1000 has a huge power difference. I would never get a 1000 for a first bike. Go with 600 or 750 and never get a wrecked bike over a non wrecked. I'm 22 close in age to you and love going fast but have payed the price multiple times already. Streetbikes are great fun but I have forced myself to give it up because of the danger. Insurance is only $415 liability for me a year.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ive rode motorcycles alot and streetbikes a few times. The r6 that i was riding felt slower than the motorcycles i was on. but in all seriousness, i consider myself to be very responsible and i dont want a streetbike for speed, i just like them better than a motorcycle and want something with better gas milage than my truck because gas is killin me. before anyone says it, i dont want to sell my truck and get something smaller and i dont want to just buy a car or scooter. lol I just found these two for a great price compared to what ive been looking at so i figured id go for em. Im too scared to be reckless on something like that.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
I don't ever recommend someone to get a liter class race bike as a first bike. I don't mean anything bad about it. I hope you understand. You can manage to learn on it, but it really isn't an ideal way to learn. If you get one of those two. Just respect the power and go slow until you get the hang of it. they really inspire confidence because they are so stable at high speeds. you sound like a good kid and you'll probably be ok. Just be careful and wear your gear! I'm done with my pep talk now! :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I have both a 600 and a liter. I'd say go with the 600. Sure there is a power difference, but the 600's are better handling and stuff. I would never get a bike that has been down. Sure, it looks like it's just cosmetic damage, but I've seen two people lay bikes down going less than 10 mph, and it tweaked their forks bad, wasn't noticeable at first, but you could definately tell.
Xstriker has a point, you will probably lay down your first bike. The majority of people do. I have had eight sport bikes since i was 16, and have yet to lay one down. But if you look it my track record for off road bikes, you will see why. I have a lot more respect for street bikes as pavement looks like it will just hurt a lot more than dirt does.

If you are worried about power, or outgrowing it, I can promise you, chances are you will never out grow a 600. The newer ones anyway, like 06 and up, of almost any make. Also, most of the 600's have a lot more advanced stuff that comes out more quickly than the liters, such as electronic steering dampner and stuff, which is amazing. The reason is, 600's are bigger sellers than liter bikes due to higher insurance rates, then being a few grand less, and people don't need the extra power. Seriously, the difference I feel in mine is up there, but there is only so much yo ucan do on a liter bike. Sure twisting your wrist in almost any gear and having the front wheel up is great, but only when no one else is around. 600's will still come up as well. And there are hardly any cars out there that can out run a 600, either off the line or top speed.

Last thing I would do, try to find a sport bike class around you. 1, this will lower your insurance costs. 2, this will help you be able to turn at slow speeds. Sure, everyone can ride a bike fast around a big open corner, but how many people can do a figure 8 on a sport bike in a 13 foot space? Good luck with whatever you buy.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I agree with crwh.

I rider safety course sounds stupid. My buddy talked me into taking one and it was the best thing I ever did. I learned alot of cool tricks to riding and how to be safer. It made me a better rider and I thought I knew it all. LOL

I always wanted a 1200 VMax but after owning a 600 I found that this was fast enough.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts