Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yup i striped out my oil pulg on the case anyone else ever done anything like this? tap it out bigger helicoil or??????

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
yup i striped out my oil pulg on the case anyone else ever done anything like this? tap it out bigger helicoil or??????
OR, you might be able to find a slightly larger drain plug... for another bike, quad or whatever at a local dealer. Drill and tap case for larger drain plug. Either way, you still find yourself drilling the case a re-taping it.... Not what I'd call fun shit. Good luck Remington.
Not even going to ask how you managed to do this.

roadkill

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Do maintenance SOBER!!! haha. Depends how you stripped it. Did it happen by tightening it too much? Did the plug come back out? If so, then you are looking at re-tapping it a cooter hair bigger. Did it strip b/c you didn't have it lined up correctly? Therefore the plug didn't go all the way in? If so, you could re-tap the same size to smooth out those threads and hopefully still have enough room in there for a NEW plug to get in there and be tight.
With the location of this, I am thinking you'll probably have to pull the motor. When you tighted it down, was the washer in there? They are suppose to act as a small buffer for overtightening, which is actually why you are suppose to change the washer everytime.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im pretty sure i cross threaded it and wore out the threads. the first half og the threads are shot but the back half look good but the bolt isnt long enough im gonna try and get a little longer bolt first and see if that will work or else retaping is in my future. im just woried i will have to split the case because it will have some metal in there from drilling it out.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
im pretty sure i cross threaded it and wore out the threads. the first half og the threads are shot but the back half look good but the bolt isnt long enough im gonna try and get a little longer bolt first and see if that will work or else retaping is in my future. im just woried i will have to split the case because it will have some metal in there from drilling it out.
If you're going to thread in another bolt you might want to clean up the threads with a tap the same size as the current bolt first. Then I would flush a little bit of oil through to get any metal out.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Exactly what xx700xx said. I would tilt it on it's side though while you do this a little bit, so you are working up into it so gravity can take most of it out.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
i striped the rear diff oil bolt on my recon a few year back... re-tap it

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Maybe put some grease on the tap? So the metal will stick to it.
also try and magnetize it this could help i would think?? and when your done stick your magnetic "dropped bolt retriever" in the hole to try and clear it out??? dont know how well these will work since its all metal but i would think the strong magnet would grab up the little slivers fairly well. since the actual magnet would be stronger than any of the case it touched and magnetized i would think it would clear all the shavings pretty well

·
Registered
538 Posts
also try and magnetize it this could help i would think?? and when your done stick your magnetic "dropped bolt retriever" in the hole to try and clear it out??? dont know how well these will work since its all metal but i would think the strong magnet would grab up the little slivers fairly well. since the actual magnet would be stronger than any of the case it touched and magnetized i would think it would clear all the shavings pretty well
you'll need an aluminum magnet for this :hey:

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
It was a good suggestion, but sadly won't work on these engines. Best way is to just flush it. I'd get some cheap motorcycle oil, like napa or something to just flush it a few times, then put the good stuff in it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Same thing happened on my raptor, I retapped it with lots of grease on the grooves so most of the shavings get stuck in it and then poured about 1 gallon of cheap oil to flush anything the grease missed and done.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Same thing happened on my raptor, I retapped it with lots of grease on the grooves so most of the shavings get stuck in it and then poured about 1 gallon of cheap oil to flush anything the grease missed and done.
Agree with both of these.

Also there is a magnet that repelles(?) Ali. It costs about $500,000 and used in some recycling centres.
I would go for grease and cheap oil as a better option but would recommend changing the sealing washer now and again. Plus a shorter wrench. IMO :D

·
Registered
538 Posts
you could also get a buddy to run a shop vac while your tappin the hole. (thats what she said)

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Why isn't the drain plug on the Honda equipped with a magnet, like so many others? And does anyone know of one that may fit?

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
thats okay they are actually pretty inexpensive and readily available at most wal marts. they are like $2.99 or so, and usually right next to the board strechers (we used to have the new guys go buy one of these if they cut a board too short. kinda sucks they can only be used once and have to be thrown out tho. at $10.00 a piece they add up rather quickly.)

lol thanks for pointing that out man, i appreciate your help ;-) bahahahaha we all have those dumb moments......... dont we?

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well got lucky and was able to get a bolt that was just a bit longer and it sealed right up thankfully

1 - 18 of 18 Posts