Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do the simplest tasks often become the most troublesome???

Ok, so I get my EHS controller installed and programmed - simple, easy, perfect.

Next, I go to install my new K&N air filter, which first requires removal of the factory air filter. Ok simple enough, I've only changed every air filter in every vehicle I've ever owned, should take less than 5 minutes, right?

Wrong! The stupud screw that secures the bracket at the back of the air filter seems welded on. Mind you this is a new 700XX with less than 20 hours. Of course Honda used a regular phillips screw that is now starting to get messed up cause it won't budge. I had even let some kroil seep in before I got started, but no luck.

Don't tell me some factory nim rod decided to use red locktite on that screw and now I may have to drill it out. :steamed:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes they use locktite,
Replace it with an allen head screw.
If you have a soldering iron, try to heat it up first.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Place your screwdriver in the head of the screw and then bump the screwdriver with a hammer to help jar it loose if that doesn't work its time to get a lefthanded drill bit.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I used a good set of vise grip pliers to get mine loose. Clamped it on the head and twisted.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I can't believe how many people I've read had problems with that screw. Mine came off really easy, and my buddies came off pretty easy too :-/

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drilled it out, finished K&N air filter install and topped it off with the EHS lid.

Next weekend it'll be my first oil change. I've already printed out Scuzz's install steps but I'm sure my Power Form Pro skid will be loads of fun when the oil starts coming out.

Me and my buddy are doing our first maintenance chores cause we're hittin the Ocala Nat'l Forest trails at the end of September with some friends from Kissimmee.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Mine was a chore to get off at the time also. I dont as mentioned, Tapped on it with a hammer and backed it out.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
hipowernut,
Welcome to the club. I had to take mine to the shop to get the screw removed. The jerk/s at the factory did use red Loctite on the screw. The local technician had to drill out the screw. I was really upset and told Honda about it. They really didn't have any comment. The new screw has a hex head and is easily removed with a small socket. I think that part of the assembly was accomplished by an employee that was pi--ed or working his final day at the factory. :mad:
Sid

·
Registered
61 Posts
i stripped the screw so i used a sawzall to cut out the plastic piece and the vibration from it broke the screw loose. i didnt need the screw for the k&n filter anyway

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yep mines stuck in there as well. I tried takin out my aftermarket filter to clean it and it's stripped bad. (previous owner installed it)

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
This is the first I've heard of problems removing that screw... mine has always come out easy as pig snot and never seems to get loose from riding. Just can't fathom why Honda would use loctite on that screw.

BTW - You're right... Changing your oil with a skid plate is just so much fun.

roadkill

·
Registered
201 Posts
k and n do not provide the same filtration as foam without use of outerwear

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
This is the first I've heard of problems removing that screw... mine has always come out easy as pig snot and never seems to get loose from riding. Just can't fathom why Honda would use loctite on that screw.

roadkill
Honda used all the allotted loctite in the airbox, and ran out when they put the fuel pitcock lever on!

·
Registered
24 Posts
mine stripped too...good ole vice-grips came in handy though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts