Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was riding through a mud hole fine taking my time and got hauled in suddenly and got muddy water in the motor. I'm not working at the moment and can't afford a mechanic to fix it. So I'm looking for suggestions from the community. This happened yesterday and so far I have drained the oil, removed air filter, spark plug and spit out a little bit of water through the plug hole. I plan on flushing it today with cheap oil and sea foam but I feel like I'm screwed if I do this anyway and almost don't have the energy to bother :eek:hno::cry:

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
yes it will take several times flushing oil to get it out just buy cheap oil and keep doing it

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
My buddy drowned his brute force. Took him like 7 oil changes to get all the water and dirt out. Good luck and have some patience.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
This is my oil after I submarined the xx. It hydro locked when I slipped into a jeep rut under water. Still runs like a champ!!!!
dam that oil looks like whole milk! ive never sunk mine but i know and have seen alot of others that have, nervs should be alright maybe as long as he flushes like you did:atv:

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
You may also want to run the motor EASY and run through the gears and work the clutch... Do this near the end of the flushing process. Also should be up on stands... no more than a few seconds of motor running at this stage (at idle/don't rev it)... flush and check oil condition... repeat if necessary. Final flush should ONLY be after drained oil is clean and clear. Put good oil in and be sure to also change oil filter. Run easy on next day's ride and check oil condition from dip stick. Extra careful would be to change oil and filter again after another 10-20 hours. Oil and filters are cheaper than having to totally re-build the motor if you try to skimp on the flushing... Better yet would be not to try to drown your quad in the first place. Sorry, just being my asshole self there.

roadkill

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The cheapest oil I could find today was castrol gtx 10w-40. I just remembered not all oils are safe for atvs. Anybody know if this is safe to use for flushing my bike out? I did one flush already before realizing.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
At auto zone you can get a 10w-40 atv oil for a few bucks a quart

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I appreciate the suggestions but it's so hard to find specific products where I live. I did some googling and seems alot of people use castrol gtx as their regular oil in their motor cycles and claim to have no clutch problems. So I guess it would be safe just for flushing purposes.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Whatever oil you use for the flushing, make sure it doesn't say "energy conserving" on the container... it will have additives like molibdimum (spelled wrong of course)... this can do damage in wet clutch applications. Castrol 4T 4 stroke would be better than GTX... And it meets the recommended API rating of SG or higher.

roadkill

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah it isn't energy conserving. I will be switching back to honda gn4 after the flushing is done.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm up to flush #5 and the oil draining from the motor is looking clean but the oil tank drainage is still not clean looking. Man this is a major PITA and I hope I never sink again. :disgust:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts