Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was wondering what other "bigger" guys did on their preload adjustments? I weigh 260 lbs.

I had both of them all the way tight but the front just pushed too much that way. I read about SimplyOrange's suggestions but the back bucks a bit hard in the trails to go all the way tight in the rear. I was going to try 1/2 pre-loaded on both the front and rear next to see how that goes.

Anyone have better luck than I did so far?

·
Registered
984 Posts
I too am a "sleek" 260lbs. and have the preload set at about half way. I find it tolerable but find myself considering getting the rears revalved and resprung and eventually getting better fronts.

·
Registered
528 Posts
im actually going to soften my rear for hill climbing, im going to lose some sliding ability but itll quit bouncing on the rough terrain.

if you are mechannically capable, try going to a higher weight oil, im going to do this soon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I weigh 240 and I have the preload backed off all the way front and rear. Works fine for now untill I can get some Elkas. It so rough out here, if I turned up the preload even a little bit, it was bone jarring. I don't do much jumping, so having them soft is fine.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do alittle jumping, but not a ton. I have them both loaded to 1/2 way now so we will see how that works. I am going to The Cliffs on Saturday so I will test this set up and let you guys know.

Side note: It will be my first day with this thing actually in Dirt/Mud instead of snow!!!! I am really excited to see how it really performs!

·
Registered
123 Posts
What is the maximum weight recommended from Honda on these bikes? Isnt it like 243 or something? I am 220 and I was kinda suprised to see that in the book

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are you trying to say? :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would think that the simplest and cheapest way of fixing this issue would be by useing a hevier weight shock oil......wouldn't be too hard and shouldn't be too expensive either. Way cheaper than a revalve.......

I haven't got my shop manual on me but I'm sure they state the stock shock oil weight in there.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was just talking spring pre-load not revalving.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I was just talking spring pre-load not revalving.

Yeah I get that but it seems that what you are trying to achieve is more compression loading by pre-loading the shock spring. So your actually after more compression.....you would wind up the compression if it was adjustable but it's not.

Another (cheat) way of giveing you more compression is with different weight shock oils.

This is not a re-valve, you just take the shock apart (just the end cap of the body) tip out the oil and then refill it. A re-valve is a much more complicated process.

All I am saying is you can adjust how soft or hard your rear shocks are with shock oil and not have to compress your spring which will make your suspension harsh.

·
Registered
984 Posts
OZ, that sounds like a great "How to Thread" would you/ could you explain how that works? I was thinking a lighter oil would soften compression.

·
Registered
445 Posts
OZ, that sounds like a great "How to Thread" would you/ could you explain how that works? I was thinking a lighter oil would soften compression.
I'll see what I can do.......

EDIT : this is not really a DIY thing as you have to re-gas the shock - most shops can do this. Still much cheaper than a re-valve.......$50 per shock

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah that might make a little difference for you lol

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
I tightened my shock springs before out last trip out. I only tightened them a few threads since I'm a lightweight at 160lbs. First, I noticed that sliding around turns the front tire was trying to come up but only would come up half of what it used to. Second, I noticed flying over deep ruts that the tighter spring didn't make the ride too harsh. For the lighter guys, if you want to get rid of a some body roll this works pretty well.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you end up tightening up both or just your fronts?

I had both of mine all the way tight to start, then went to both in the middle, now I am going to try the front in the middle and the rears all the way soft. I think it is going to be a trial and error thing for me.

For those who were curious, both tightened all the way was way too harsh especially in the rear. The quad just stood up at the slightest touch of the throttle too. There was no squat at all which isnt always good. Ill keep everyone updated on the different stock setups I try.

·
Registered
64 Posts
For those who were curious, both tightened all the way was way too harsh especially in the rear. The quad just stood up at the slightest touch of the throttle too. There was no squat at all which isnt always good. Ill keep everyone updated on the different stock setups I try.
Must have looked like a June Bug! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts