Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently I'm the only idiot to swamp my 700xx as I have searched and read until my eye balls were ready to fallout. After being out done by a 400ex in the mud pit I realized it was likely the 350lb difference and the air box setup isn't exactly ideal for such things. We pumped it out and I've changed the oil 5 times however now I have a knock that sounds like its on top the motor with or without load but more prominent when warmed up and taking off. I just pulled it apart to check the screens. there was a little crap on the tank screen but nothing on the crank screen(big pain in the a$$) I've also noticed that the oil level is inconsistent sometimes low and sometimes over full. This is why I assumed the screen was an issue and the crank oil level plug was over full. I am currently reassembling but will attempt to record the sound. I don't believe I have a bent rod or valve as it still makes great power but i just don't know what it could be (yes my oilf ilter is on correct). Thanks for any help you may have.

·
Registered
788 Posts
If the oil levels are inconsistent I would have guessed a clogged oil screen. Have you changed the filter with all oil changes? If not I would again. Maybe drain everything and just dump some cheap oil right through the bike and let it drain directly out. Maybe catch anything that's left. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Apparently I'm the only idiot to swamp my 700xx as I have searched and read until my eye balls were ready to fallout. After being out done by a 400ex in the mud pit I realized it was likely the 350lb difference and the air box setup isn't exactly ideal for such things. We pumped it out and I've changed the oil 5 times however now I have a knock that sounds like its on top the motor with or without load but more prominent when warmed up and taking off. I just pulled it apart to check the screens. there was a little crap on the tank screen but nothing on the crank screen(big pain in the a$$) I've also noticed that the oil level is inconsistent sometimes low and sometimes over full. This is why I assumed the screen was an issue and the crank oil level plug was over full. I am currently reassembling but will attempt to record the sound. I don't believe I have a bent rod or valve as it still makes great power but i just don't know what it could be (yes my oilf ilter is on correct). Thanks for any help you may have.
The oil tank is pretty straight forward to remove without any technical steps to worry about. I've pulled mine already and filled it with gas, shook it around, drained and reinstalled. While it's off you can pour some oil or diesel through the valve cover to wash the motor. If you use diesel I usually chase it with a little oil after it drains to dilute any standing diesel that may stay on the motor. Doing this is after submerging the quad is better than changing the oil and running it repeatedly.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Apparently I'm the only idiot to swamp my 700xx
I swamped mine damn good last summer, but mine was well passed just a little knock because I got a ton of sand through the motor. Surprisingly my quad ran quite well after all of it though. I started out way too optimistic and tried cleaning it out myself by flushing the oil and so after draining as much of the sand out as possible I started her up and she actually sat in idle very nicely. There was no knock or anything like you have.

Well, I'm not sure about your knock, but I just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only idiot. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
160 Posts
knock could be a bent rod as water cannot compress.
Agrees with Scuzz can also be a broke piston skirt or numerous other things doesn't sound like getting enough oil is the problem but definantly got some serious issues with it I don't know if warranty will cover it check with your dealer.:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've heard of the possible major damages but the bike just runs too damn good. if i can't track it down I'll have no choice but to take it to the dealer. I'd highly doubt they would warranty it and it would probably fall under subsection d -7 :the "user error" clause. luckily I'm fully insured! :) but i'd rather not go that route if its avoidable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First off thank you for all of your help and suggestions. Also for the poor soul who joined me in the pool of shame. My bike may deserve a better rider but its stuck with me for now. I got it back together an it seems the knock noise is gone and the oil level is staying even. I haven't been able to ride it hard, the weather has been crap here but I'll post again for any further problems. The only thing I found was a minimal amount of lint on the tank screen which I place blame on the stock paper filter. An OEM will not be used again. thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts