Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gary... you're going to be jealous...

So where we ride changes DRASTICALLY from how much rain we get. It lets us A. get in the river on the sand bar or B. Not at all... it is the Red River after all.

Well the river had been up but now it's back down and where our "normal" sandbar used to be has no shrank to about 300 yards long. :( But... at the north end of the property, there is a NEW sandbar. This thing is ridiculous! It's about 2 miles long and its nice powdery sand. I almost want paddles for it. Anyway... there are areas on it that let you max out 5th gear... and as I was doing that today, and as I was accelerating I could feel the quad "swaying" in the sand from left to right. Was that a tire pressure issue or what the heck is going on!? It was a freaky feeling that I hadn't felt before, even when I was on sand. This is semi packed but very fine. It's good enough for 3rd gear drifting doughnuts... i can yank the inside tire about a foot and half off the ground i'm going so fast. Gonna get this on video next time :hey:

so why was the quad swaying?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The maxxis aren't on yet - these were on the stockers.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
243 Posts
Different tires actually "float" on top of sand and can cause this, so chances are at high speed your tires are actually slipping in every direction. These are with the Maxxis tires right?
This makes the most sense to me. If it doesn't do it on pavement or hard packed dirt, then it has to be the sand.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This makes the most sense to me. If it doesn't do it on pavement or hard packed dirt, then it has to be the sand.

bad sand. no presents for you. :mad:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hurry up and get that video before the sand bar is gone!!
We'll be taking the HD camera out next time and the GoPro. THIS sandbar isn't going ANYWHERE!

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I'd say it was from the high speeds also, you don't have much contact patch at high speeds with the stock tires.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine does that in the lakebed. Same river bout 180 miles upstream (follow the north fork) Something about tearing a$$ on sand. I've heard that the salt flats do that too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts