Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got my one 700XX back from Teixeira Tech last weekend and figured I would put up some pics. It looks better then I expected, Ed did an awesome job designing these arms, I am digging the rear "max clearance" design.

These are Teixeira Tech's desert a-arms. Fronts are +2 wide and 1" forward, rears are +1.25 wide and 1" rearward, so these will stretch the wheel base of the 700XX 2". Jim over at Motowoz then built the shocks for it based on Ed's specs.

I got to take it out last weekend, but only got to ride for about 10 minutes before I ended up with a rear flat. Not much time on it, but I was VERY impressed in the little time I got to ride, the suspension was working great and I was already pretty comfortable on it even with the short time I got to ride. Figure it will get even better once I really start pushing it. Plan on going out again on Sunday, hopefully no flat tires this time! Just mounted up some brand new Kenda's, Parker fronts and Kutter rears.

Doug

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Couple more pics. I took these while I had the wheels off swapping tires.

I need to thank both Ed and Jim for all there hard work. I know the rear arms were more trouble then Ed expected, but he stuck with it and got it done and they look great. Jim also took the time to get measurements from Ed to model everything to determine a good shock setup without ever seeing the quad. Thanks guys!

I will make sure I update this thread after I put some time on this thing on Sunday.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Looks good Doug, can't wait to here your full ride report.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Width is right around 51.5", for sure not for you guys who ride narrow trails, but for us desert/dune guys, it should be about perfect.

As far as cost, you would have to contact Ed and find out, I don't want to give out wrong info.

Plan on charging up my Go-Pro today and getting some video of tomorrow. Hopefully I will have some time to put together a little video.

Doug

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, took the 700XX out yesterday and burned a tank of fuel up. WOW!!! The thing handled great. My only problem is I am plain out of shape, plus it is flippen hot here in Vegas now! The quad worked really well, went out ot my normal rdiing area that is full of whoops and slower speed rough stuff. Even though I don't think this is the type of terrain the 700XX will do its best in, it still worked awesome and I was impressed. There was a few times I braced for an impact thinking this is going to hurt and didn't feel a thing, the suspension just soaked up the hit. Can't wait to get it out into the more wide open stuff, that is the plan for next wekend.

I was a little concerned about the extra 2" in wheelbase affecting the turning, but it still steers just as good as my other 700XX with Ed's upper replacement arms and 9/16" sway bar. In fact, I would say even a little better. I was also afraid the new suspension would lead to increased body roll, but again, it had less roll then my other 700XX. After I get some more time on the suspension as is, I plan on trying the 9/16" bar, but I am not really sure it is needed.

Biggest problem for me was getting used to the IRS, it does take a little different riding style then a solid axle quad like I am used to. That and I need to experiment some with the rear shocks, need to get used to how the different adjustments effect the suspension. Plan on testing ALOT to get that suspension dialed in. It is really close now, but I want it perfect! I am actually very impressed with the work Jim did, since he never saw the quad, just measurments from Ed. Time to test, test, test.

About the only thing I am not sure about has nothing to do with Ed or Jim's work, not sure I am crazy about the Kenda tires. They seem like a real hard rubber compound and they just didn't seem to have good grip. I think the biggest problem was to much air pressure, I was running quite a bit to make sure I didn't get any flats. Need to experiment some and see what works best and still prevents flats. Last issue was I now need more power, the only engine mods to this 700XX is the "big 3" only, it needs some extra power for this new suspension so I can hit stuff even faster!

As I said, next weekend out to the more wide open stuff and see how it works at higher speeds.

Doug

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After I cleaned the quad up yesterday, I pushed my other 700XX out side and took some pics of both just for a comparison. I really like the rear pic, shows you just how much extra clearance Ed was able to get.

The stock width quad will be my race chassis. It has my built motor with parts from CT Racing plus a few other things on it that I will want for racing. Figure it will be easier to swap suspensions then to swap motors. My plan is to do alot of testing with the suspension and I want to keep time off my race motor, so will just continue to use the other chassis and motor. I want to keep the CT motor fresh and save it for racing.

Doug

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Looks good! like the a-arms not sure about the blue on the shocks but hey if they work good i guess thats all that matters! The kenda's are hard and heavy. Heavier than even the razr 2. I personally like the razr's better.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
D Bergstrom,
They did a super job on that XX. Sounds like you are real happy with the results.
Contrats.
Sid

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks good! like the a-arms not sure about the blue on the shocks but hey if they work good i guess thats all that matters! The kenda's are hard and heavy. Heavier than even the razr 2. I personally like the razr's better.
I actually like the blue, but it doesn't matter what color they are, they could be hot pink and I will still run them, best shocks I have ever used.

Still not sure on the Kenda's. I am hoping that since they seem to be a harder rubber compound I can run a little less air and get some more traction. Just need to experiment some I guess.

Doug

·
Registered
335 Posts
That A-arm and shock set up is awesome! Front and rear. Really like the mgc arm designs. The added width is a little ify for me. May be fine though.

Thanks for taking the time to give oppinions and great photos!

Gonna check Teixeiratech site for info.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gonna check Teixeiratech site for info.
I don't think Ed has any info on the rear setup posted on his site yet. Might be better off to just give him a call.

Doug

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's a nice setup. Looks pretty good. Its good to hear that it performs well too.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How is this working??:xx:
Been working great. No issues at all. Raced the Parker 250 (Raced ironman so it was only two laps, so it was really the Parker 160 for me!) back in January and didn't have any problems, quad held up great. Still playing with suspension settings to get it fully dialed in, but it is real close, I am just picky! My biggest problem has nothing to do with the suspension itself, it is just trying to feel as comfortable on the 700XX as I do on my 450R. Not quite there yet, but I am getting there.

The course did have some higher speed, twisty stuff in it that the 700XX did not like, the 700XX felt to top heavy, lots of body roll. (I had the suspension a little on the soft side also, plus a tall ride height, that didn't help.) Was running the stock sway bar as the 9/16" L8ton bar I have won't work. (If you look at the stock rear on the 700XX, the sway bar links are at quite an angle. Kyle adjusted his bar to line up better, while Ed adjusted his arms to line up better, now the L8ton bars won't fit.) Good thing is, after speaking to Kyle, he is making me custom bars that will work, should have them in a month or so. (He just has to make them with longer side plates.) I am actually getting both a 9/16" and 11/16" bar made. I think some courses I will like the smaller bar, while others I will like the larger. Will post up some pics once I get them.

Doug

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
I am actually getting both a 9/16" and 11/16" bar made. I think some courses I will like the smaller bar, while others I will like the larger. Will post up some pics once I get them.Doug

Let us know how the bars work for you. Last I herd Baxter order'd one finally but never no mention of it???

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am very interested in getting plus 2 out and plus 1 forward front arms for my 700. But after seeing your bike I am also interested in those rear arms. Is your 700 still easy to wheelie? It must be a lot nicer through the whoops? What offset is your rear wheels? Your bike looks great!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am very interested in getting plus 2 out and plus 1 forward front arms for my 700. But after seeing your bike I am also interested in those rear arms. Is your 700 still easy to wheelie? It must be a lot nicer through the whoops? What offset is your rear wheels? Your bike looks great!
Not much of a wheelie rider, but I can still get the front end light when I need to. Rear wheels are OMF reinforced DWT red labels, so stock offset. It does get through the whoops decent, but not as good as my 450R's. Of course, I think that has more to do with the weight if the 700XX more then anything else.

Good thing is, after speaking to Kyle, he is making me custom bars that will work,
Just an update, Kyle did custom make me sway bars, only used the 9/16" bar so far, but it did cut down on the body roll quite a bit. Raced a few night races over the summer on the 700XX and was pretty happy overall, think I have the suspension dialed in about perfect. No issues with the suspension at all, has been holding up great. Next race is the Henderson 250 in the beginning of December, need to get some riding in, I have ridden once in the last four months!

Doug

1 - 20 of 44 Posts