Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, hoping some mechanically inclined peeps can help me out.

Today I tried to hug some high ground which I could not fit on and ended up putting myself and my 700 in the drink, submerged in water. The 700 stopped running as I was waist deep in it. I pulled her out as fast as I could (damn this thing is heavy) and quickly checked my air box to see it was now a fish tank. I honestly thought I was screwed as far as getting it running again today but after putting the thing on it’s side and up on the rear bar (did I mention this thing is heavy?) gallons of water poured out and I got it started to watch water spew from the exhaust for a minute or more. Relieved I would not have to walk miles home just to have to come rescue my 700 another day, the bike rode back what seemed flawlessly.

So now that my 700 is sitting in my garage licking the wounds I gave it. Have I done any damage? If so how much? What? What can I and should I do or check at this point?

:thanks:

And for the record maybe another bike would take this and keep on going too but I sure have abused some Hondas in my day and at this point will never buy anything else with an engine that is not a Honda. I absolutely beat the living .ish out of my first Honda CBR sport bike and the thing ran like new with just regular maintenance up to 25k when I sold it. I now even have a Honda lawnmower and am getting a Honda pressure washer. I am thankful that a company can make such reliable equipment. I think they are the only company that has actually sold me on their brand.

:atv:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would say check the plug and check the oil for water. I would take the air filter off and let it dry out good. Make sure the fuse area is dry so it does not corrod.

·
Registered
35 Posts
your pretty lucky, two weeks ago my friend did the same thing to his honda foreman. sat it up pulled the spark plug water shot every where it started. i cant wait to see if it blows smoke or not its hard to hydro lock a motor and have it come out fine honda or no honda.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Your going to need to drain the oil and change your filter about 2-3 times. Change it let it get to temp, then change it again. May take only 2 times if your lucky.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i drowned a yammie 450 i used to own we drained the oil,removed the plug and filled engine with metholated spirits wound it over for a minute or so(metho evaporates any water/moisture that will be in the engine sitting on gears/bearings ect that will cause rust spots and cause things to fail)then replaced oil filter filled with oil and went for a ride, then drained oil and replaced filter again, rode as normal after this, i had the bike for 4 years after this and had no probs at all

·
Registered
821 Posts
I would also add check all electrical connections and put a little dielectric in every connection that doesn't have waterproof connections. It doesn't take much corrosion to mess up a ride.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Did the same to mine and still works like brand new.:rock::rock:

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
It's been my buddies experience (the skimers) that you need to change the oil at LEAST 6-7 times to get all the water out.
Good to know, thanks Scuzz. I have never had the pleasure on my quad but had a buddy who swamped his truck and it took 3 oil changes to clean it out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As an employee of one of Honda's manufacturing plants I have to say we love to hear these stories (granted the 700xx was made in Japan). x2 on the dielectric grease - just be sure the connections are dry first so moisture isn't sealed in. You stated that water came out the exhaust. In the future should this happen again I'd remove the plug and block the exhaust while cranking the engine. There would be less of a chance of hydrolocking the engine. Depending on where the water is...you may be able to leave the drain plug open and just run a couple of quarts..theoretically the oil will be on top and force the water to the lowest part of the engine

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, So I made sure all my connections are dry and wanted to get one oil change out of the way since I had enough oil for one laying around. The oil I drained looked like milk almost. Is this normal for the situation? What does it mean? The oil was very smooth and debris free but very light and creamy looking. After the change just checking the dip stick with the new oil in it still looks the same.

·
Registered
734 Posts
The milky looking oil is oil with water, drain again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thats a lot of water i would flush 6 to 10 times like scuzz said
Yeah, I am thinking the same thing after seeing that.

2 questions, is there a cheaper recommended way to do it then buying all GN4 oil just for flushing? Also, what are the chances this water has done damage or should I be ok once I get it all out?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.