Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously thinkin of getting the ehs big 3 set up along with maybe a 13t sprocket. I am curious on a couple things. I've been reading ALOT on here an.. does anyone run the big three in really cold temps? I ride snowmobile trails in the winter most of our rides are anywhere from 30 to 80 miles. We just did a ride a couple weeks ago where we did 70 miles an it was only 11 degrees out. Does anyone run the big 3 in these kind of extreme temps? Really worried about it leaning out on me. Also, am worried about sound, I know the barkers has a quiet core but.. how does it sound? I had an FMF q4 on my old honda 4stroke dirtbike an liked the sound nice an quiet. My buddy has the full muzzy on his kfx an it sounds AWESOME! Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
183 Posts
if you have the programmer, running lean shouldn't be a problem no matter what the temp is. check your plug and if it looks a little lean with the settings you have, bump it up .5 if its that cold.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
If you don't have any problems leaning out on a stock bike in the cold then i doubt you'll have any problems with the EHS setup leaning out too much. If it does run a little lean you can always call Eric and ask him what to change in order to fatten it up a little. The Barker pipe is LOUD but sounds killer! The Best sounding exhaust for this bike as far as i'm concerned. The FMF's are quieter but won't give you the power the Barker will. I say pull the trigger and get the EHS setup. You won't regret it! :tup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know Eric from EHS says that all the FI quads have a temp sensor an fattens the stock map up on colder temps (which it should) But, is that really enough? Also, the last thing I wanna be doing is throttle chopping when it's 5 degrees out! I had a canam renegade an... didn't wanna deal with the pcv an autotune an all that crap (no local dyno shops around). If the EHS is a simple bolt on mod an they can gaurentee me that down to about 5 degrees (any colder an I don't wanna ride) it's more than safe to run I'm sold. I just want something I can bolt on an not worry about an still be as reliable as stock. I do close to 5-600 miles in the winter on the sled trails, nothing like screaming a groomed sled trail at 50 an sliding the corners.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
the barker sounds alright with the quiet core in it. i run mine at a statepark for the first time since ive owned it which is a year now. with out it the people that live near by always call the gamewarden because they think its somebody shooting a gun

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also, how does the barkers sound with the quiet core in? I know without it at 103dbs I'll get a ticket around here/tick alot of people off.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Well i don't ride mine when it's that cold. So i can't say from experience but i think you'll be fine. Might have to push a few buttons to fatten it up but it's really no big deal.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I know Eric from EHS says that all the FI quads have a temp sensor an fattens the stock map up on colder temps (which it should) But, is that really enough? Also, the last thing I wanna be doing is throttle chopping when it's 5 degrees out! I had a canam renegade an... didn't wanna deal with the pcv an autotune an all that crap (no local dyno shops around). If the EHS is a simple bolt on mod an they can gaurentee me that down to about 5 degrees (any colder an I don't wanna ride) it's more than safe to run I'm sold. I just want something I can bolt on an not worry about an still be as reliable as stock. I do close to 5-600 miles in the winter on the sled trails, nothing like screaming a groomed sled trail at 50 an sliding the corners.

i havent personally tested it in 5 degree weather it dont get that cold very often in nc :) i have tried it on the dyno in 35-40 degree weather by opening my shop up and compared it to something when it was hot out and it stayed right in the ball park but 5 degrees is somthing harder to test. you can fatten up the map in 10 seconds with the controller if your worried worst thing that will happen is it will get a little slugish but more than likely you can make more power and it will handle the fuel well if it doesnt have a high moisture content in the air.

·
Registered
755 Posts
You'll be fine in the cold, the stock xx is more lean than with the EHS big 3 and I road for hours in 20 degree weather last year. I would be riding this winter with the big 3 but we have 18" of snow and I'm still waiting on my rear shocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udlf8FZhyr0

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so how exactly do you "fatten it up in ten seconds" you just push some buttons to add fuel? Is it possible to take too much fuel away with the EHS controller? Like I said some people with real world experience would be great. An... having the equipment not even tested in extreme conditions doens't give me a warm an fuzzy either. I don't know about anyone else but I ride anywhere from 0 to 90 degrees an wish for a product with R+D to prove it works in all conditions but yet it's always us that do all the R+D it seems.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
i think your looking for a bit much it would be nice if everybody tested every product in every envioroment. I can honestly tell you i dont know of anybody else that does more actually real world testing than i do. I will generally hook up data loggers and track real world performance , put it on the dyno and test in many different ways. a lot of shops dont even write there own code for there fuel controllers and you would probably be suprised how many dont own a dyno. I even traveled 3000 miles to go racing in some pretty extreme conditions when i built the first xx's i used. call up any of the other companies and ask them what the ideal AFR is for your bike and if they will be able to have it there with what they provide and im talking to the tenth not a whole number. if you get an answer it will probably be ahhh call this guy or i will get back to you

all you have to do is hit a few button to make it richer you can read through the instructions on my website if you want to see how its done

·
Registered
437 Posts
I run mine with the Barker EHS setup in temps down to -20....gotta love wisconsin. When you get the setting recs with the EHS controller bump the first three settings up by .5 and you will be fine...cold air = lots o power

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ride in north east indiana so that is anywhere from below zero to 90+ degrees with barker big 3 with no problems. the fuel controllers just modify your stock fuel curve, it's not like it has the capability of taking so much fuel you will burn a hole in your piston or something. I just fluctuates the stock curve.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The controller is very easy to manage, you pull off your seat, start the bike and hit the buttons to add more fuel to the stock curve. I've ridden in the snow at 8500ft (didn't have a temp gauge) but it was damn cold. Haven't had a single issue with the EHS controller. I have the HMF full exhaust but I would buy the barkers in a heartbeat if I had to do it over, my best friend has it on his xx and I'm very jealous. Buy from EHS he's good people and is always willing to help. just my .02

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey, thanks for the replies guys. I was really just lookin for some people with real world experience in like conditions. I am never really worried about adding too much fuel, it's not adding enough ya gotta worry about in the cold, once you open the thing up to breathe with the EHS an exhaust the thin air in the winter needs more fuel to compensate, that's all. Does anyone have a recommended setting for the ehs controller and at what temp? As in.... do you leave it alone an let it do it's thing down to a certain point an then you start adjusting say once it hits 30 an below?

·
Registered
183 Posts
i dont think you can take away any fuel with the ehs controller. the lowest setting is the stock map, or .5 above (can't remember for sure). with the big 3 youre gonna be running settings at 3.5/3.5/3, and it literally takes 10 seconds to bump it up to 4/4/3.5 if the temp really drops. the cold air in winter is actually thicker, which is why you need more fuel to prevent it from running lean. id say you wouldnt need to bump it up until it drops into at least the 20s, then i would give it that extra .5. if you do bump it up, and it feels sluggish, then dial it back down.

·
Registered
437 Posts
^^^he's about right i turn it up a bit when it starts hittin 20-30's and forget about it until spring when it starts getting into the 50-60's.....Think of all the motorcycles/atv's out there with jetting that is slightly off.....probably a vast majority of all of them. You'll be fine and settings don't have to be spot on unless you are doing some serious level racing. And if ur doing that PM and I can help you out a bit more.....all intents and purposes this extra .5 on the first three is more than adequate and will provide good performance

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. That sounds pretty easy. Just fatten it up in november/december an adjust it back in the spring. I think I'm pretty much sold. So, anyone interested in a group buy of the big 3 so we can get a deal from Eric??

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.