Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read througg the entire other thread about the swap and it seems farely easy. However, i am concerned about the structural integrity of the shock now.

So my question is to those who have done it.

How well is it holding up now after 1+ years?

Would i need to worry about it breaking off mid compressiom?

I'd hate to be doing 45 along a mountain side trail and the eye decide to snap....

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
shocks

I would not worry too much much about the modded shocks. If you have a look at the stock Honda shocks ,you can see the top eye is just held on with a tack weld on either side. They seem to last alright.As most of the load is in compression on the shock,straight up and down, what can go wrong?!?!
mervex

·
Registered
64 Posts
parts

I have been a welder/fabricator on bikes, offroad cars etc etc for 30 years.
I thought the honda shock was a worry!!
I have done simmilar things to shocks for heavy road bikes and ten years on not a problem. my opinion is based on experience.
I would not do anything questionable for a customer,let alone for myself!!!
Well, i got my mind around it,I'm going riding.
mervex

·
Registered
64 Posts
shocks

HI,the ds450 shocks need a little bit of grinding.
This way you do not need to touch the mounts on the frame much.
The LTR shocks you need to beat the top mounts apart and fit some washers either side on the bottom mounts.
It seems both shocks work really well,it just depends on what you or your friends are capable of or comfortable of doing.
I now find I can jump off a sheer drop and land like I'm on a ramp !!
I also noticed i now tend to ride my quad like a bike, I don't bother trying to avoid rocks and ruts etc, I just ride over them.Unlike the SRA guys trying to avoid everthing under the quad.
mervex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts