Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas! And fellettes!

I need your honest, unbiased and experienced opinion. I know it's a 700XX forum, but I know I can get a straight answer. This thread will be the decision maker for me, as I have done a ton of research.:tup:

I was looking at a 2008 400ex or a 2008 trx450r for my first quad. The 700XX has now taken the place of the 450r.

We will be doing 90% trail/play riding on trails that will not see either machine's top speed. (except for maybe a couple of short stints) Hill climbing and mountain trails will be ridden, too. The other 10% will be mixed in jumps, nothing more than a small double/table and 2 to 3 foot speed brake style jumps. No MX racing, but possibly the local hare scrambles in the future. I don't care about "PWNING RAPTORS":D on the drag strip, but we will drag for fun.

Specifics: Will the 400ex with an equally experienced rider keep up with the 700XX on all but the most wide open trails?? Is the 700XX just as reliable as the "bullet proof" EX? In videos I have watched, the 700XX seemed to "whip" the rear out when jumping. Is this something to worry about? Or is it just the rider? Can the 700XX be jumped straight? Is the 400EX way under powered compared to the 700XX? How about creeping ability? How much will I miss not being able to slide the rear out as easy as the 400EX?

I come from a dirtbike background and this will be my first quad.

I'm a larger guy and I have sat on them, They both feel good to me. the 700XX being more like a caddy.

Here's the kicker......... The 700XX is selling for $4099.00 and the 400EX for $4229.00 !!!!:nuts: Am I crazy NOT to buy the 700XX???

Thanks!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Yes, at that price you are completely insane if you don't buy the XX.
In fact, I still would pay original msrp if that is what they were selling for instead of buying the 400EX at nearly half the price. You are damn lucky if you are one of the guys that can get one for that price. I paid full msrp for mine when I bought it in March of 08'.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Hey fellas! And fellettes!

I need your honest, unbiased and experienced opinion. I know it's a 700XX forum, but I know I can get a straight answer. This thread will be the decision maker for me, as I have done a ton of research.:tup:

I was looking at a 2008 400ex or a 2008 trx450r for my first quad. The 700XX has now taken the place of the 450r.

We will be doing 90% trail/play riding on trails that will not see either machine's top speed. (except for maybe a couple of short stints) Hill climbing and mountain trails will be ridden, too. The other 10% will be mixed in jumps, nothing more than a small double/table and 2 to 3 foot speed brake style jumps. No MX racing, but possibly the local hare scrambles in the future. I don't care about "PWNING RAPTORS":D on the drag strip, but we will drag for fun.

Specifics: Will the 400ex with an equally experienced rider keep up with the 700XX on all but the most wide open trails??

Oh Yes

Is the 700XX just as reliable as the "bullet proof" EX?

Yes again

In videos I have watched, the 700XX seemed to "whip" the rear out when jumping. Is this something to worry about? Or is it just the rider? Can the 700XX be jumped straight?

Most times it is the rider. I love to jump my 700xx and it can jump straight, done it many times.

Is the 400EX way under powered compared to the 700XX?

Yes again.

How about creeping ability?

Change the front sprocket to a 13t and enjoy.

How much will I miss not being able to slide the rear out as easy as the 400EX?

It can be done with a little practice .

I come from a dirtbike background and this will be my first quad.

I'm a larger guy and I have sat on them, They both feel good to me. the 700XX being more like a caddy.

Here's the kicker......... The 700XX is selling for $4099.00 and the 400EX for $4229.00 !!!!:nuts: Am I crazy NOT to buy the 700XX???

Thanks!!!!!!!!
I own both a 450r and a 700xx , the 700xx is far better for trails and cross country.

·
Registered
505 Posts
To me it is a no brainer, Get the XX.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know it's a good deal, but I don't want to buy something JUST for the price. What about the issues I asked about. Does it swap the rear end when launching a jump?? Is reliability on par with the legendary 400EX motor?? Does it have good "creeping ability"?The 450r isn't even in the running anymore.

Thanks for the replies!:tup:

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I would definetly get 700xx, the 400ex is out dated big time, it hasnt changed in ten years except for reverse and cosmetic upgrades. i used to have a 400ex, the 700xx is just as reliable ,the 700 has fuel injection, way better than the carburated 400, the suspension on the 700 is way better than the 400,the 700 is better for a bigger rider. and the price i woulnt pay more for 400 than an out dated 400.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I would definitely go with the xx. It is a bigger quad all around but you cant tell when riding it or jumping it. I jump all the time on crooked tops and it will land straight every time. Its all how you ride. Anything that you are worried about will be squashed in the first couple minutes of riding and you will fall in love. I ride the same terrain as you, and it doesn't get better. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys are definitely bringing me around to the 700XX. It was my gut choice, and your gut is usually correct.

I would defintely like to do a little XC racing the future. I look forward to the ride repots, Baxter.

Thanks for all the replies so far, guys!:tup:

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Yeah, I know it's a good deal, but I don't want to buy something JUST for the price. What about the issues I asked about. Does it swap the rear end when launching a jump?? Is reliability on par with the legendary 400EX motor?? Does it have good "creeping ability"?The 450r isn't even in the running anymore.

Thanks for the replies!:tup:

Legendary 400ex motor? No Honda motor tops the legendary XR650r motor the XX was based on.

·
Registered
217 Posts
All most got the wife the 400ex until the dealer told me the price. It was $200 more than we paid for my 700xx. She now loves her 700xx and would not trade it for the 400ex or 450r. So now we have two in the family!:hey:

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
from what u want out of your quad is basicly the definition of the xx. the price is exceptional paid 6500 for mine. i ride a lot of long trails and for some reason my buddys(straight axels) always want to take a break. the xx is a great machine and u will be very happy if u buy it

·
Registered
528 Posts
i didnt even read any responses, the 700xx is in a totally different class than the 400ex...and i wouldnt have even taken the time to write this thread if those ae the two choices...the xx is your best option.

·
Registered
734 Posts
700xx, no brainer!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts