Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I know I am running the risk of sounding redundant, but I am stuck with a tough decision here. I have read the posts and attacked the postman, but would really like some direct input from my brothers and sisters in arms. I have narrowed my selection down to 3 that I feel will suit my purposes and are within my price range.

And in no particular order...

1) HMF 2010 Comp Series

2) Two Brothers Racing M-7 V.A.L.E.™ Stainless Steel Slip-On Race Exhaust System

3) FMF Q4 S/A

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Please don't just tell me which one you prefer/own/want etc., but please give me a rational justification and/or some personal experience to help me decide which on to go with. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
1... I'm between the Comp or regular Performance myself...

I say, don't go with a slip-on. It does nothing for you. FMF is a good brand, but have found them too expensive. HMF have won championships and defeated Baja. Just remember with a full system, you'll need a programmer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i went with the HMF performace series. you will want a programmer even with a slipon, which is still better than the stock muffler. all you have to do is compare the size of the stock mufflers exhaust outlet to the size of the stock header and you'll see why, not to mention all the baffles.

i went with an all-black hmf performace series because i like the clean look it has compared to the others that have these brightly colored labels on them. obviously, thats a personal preference. my buddy has it on his 450, and i love the sound of his as well.

two brothers was my second choice, but i wasn't a fan of the star trek styled canister.

the comp series is nice because it comes with the different inserts that are very easy to swap out depening on how quiet or open you want to run it. you can get the quiet core for the hmf perf. series if you need to run quiet as well, and the color customization is really nice. i have always heard great things about hmf, and have never been disappointed by them regardless of what machines i have heard or seen them on.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
At this moment I'm using the Motorworks SR4 which is real nice, had the 2Bros but kind of loud. Am looking for a pipe builder in NC so I can reinstall my Supertrapp. The Barker is also real nice.

·
Registered
369 Posts
i would go with the hmf comp full system. because its relitivly cheap compared to some and with the 3 exhaust tips for it u cant go wrong

·
Registered
28 Posts
HMF Performance (slip-on) is the one, Doback programmer and open air box. Dropped to the 13 tooth counter and this quad is like night and day. FLIES. I was going with a cam but I am not sure I need it now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sparks racing not on the list but its my fav. but from your list i would go with the two brothers.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
im eaither gona get a sparks or barker....

but outa ur list two bros

fmf and hmf ain's built as good and dont have the power increase like a barker or sparks

·
Registered
51 Posts
just remember if you ever look at hp gains that the one that makes the most hp isnt always the best you have to look at were you ride at (rpm) the mojority of the time i found that hmf makes a well rounded hp curve that the average rider will take advantage of im not sure of the 700xx specificaly but compared on a z400 the hmf was by far the best well rounded pipe and ther is very mixed reviews on full systems compared to slipons. im not a firm beliver on full systems alot of extra money for what i belive dosent add up to a pot to piss in ( just my opinion)

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
The fmf's are really nice pipes! They give you options that you won't get anywhere else. I personally don't like two brothers for this bike. They look cheap IMO. I've seen and heard the hmf's on 450's and they are loud!! But seem like nice quality pipes!
I have the barker! I believe it to be one of the very best pipes for this bike. I like the shorter canister and how the oval can looks also. Plus it's made from the very best stainless steel so it should last a lifetime. (of course the packing won't)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
just remember if you ever look at hp gains that the one that makes the most hp isnt always the best you have to look at were you ride at (rpm) the mojority of the time i found that hmf makes a well rounded hp curve that the average rider will take advantage of im not sure of the 700xx specificaly but compared on a z400 the hmf was by far the best well rounded pipe and ther is very mixed reviews on full systems compared to slipons. im not a firm beliver on full systems alot of extra money for what i belive dosent add up to a pot to piss in ( just my opinion)
if u look at the hmf and the barker charts ull see the barker has more hp across the chart.. and more tq witch is more important than hp

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just put a full FMF exhaust and efi with a UNI and on the first ride I could tell that it really woke the quad up! Sounds great and I had no trouble fitting it. I disagree that FMF aren't as good. Most of my friends have HMF and they sound great!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
You gain nothing but sound, pretty much, from a slip on. BUT, if you absolutely have to go with one, I suggest FMF. Why?.. Because after a few rides you'll want a full exhaust. FMF is the only one that you can add the header to because they provide an 'adapter' for the slip-on to fit the stock header. All you have to do is take that off, and fit a powerbomb on it...

·
Registered
671 Posts
if u look at the hmf and the barker charts ull see the barker has more hp across the chart.. and more tq witch is more important than hp

What charts are you comparing? Remember, in order to compare dyno charts, they should be with the same mods on the same dyno.

What do you mean that HMF is not built as good? They are built just as good as any other exhaust. I have had great results with both FMF and HMF. Just because they are cheaper does not mean the are inferior.

Doug

·
Registered
239 Posts
Had really good luck with HMF on other atvs!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
What charts are you comparing? Remember, in order to compare dyno charts, they should be with the same mods on the same dyno.

What do you mean that HMF is not built as good? They are built just as good as any other exhaust. I have had great results with both FMF and HMF. Just because they are cheaper does not mean the are inferior.

Doug
there no cheaper and my ferinds hmf slip on busted it mount 2 time on his raptor 350... also some ppl on here have hade a problem's with fmf leaking at the base of the can...

·
Registered
671 Posts
there no cheaper and my ferinds hmf slip on busted it mount 2 time on his raptor 350... also some ppl on here have hade a problem's with fmf leaking at the base of the can...
Hmm, well just going by retail prices the Barker is $629 and the HMF comp. is $525, FMF about $545, so a little cheaper. Granted, that is retail, not sure what they are actually selling for.

So HMF's are no good because your buddy has broken his twice? What else has he broken on his Raptor 350? One thing I know about teenagers, they break everything! I know, I was once one!

First I heard of the FMF's leaking. I know I have owned exhausts that leak a little around the base of the can, especially after I disassemble to repack. Easy fix though, little high temp sealant and you are good to go.

So where is the dyno comparing the HMF to the Barker? For that matter, where is any dyno comparing any exhaust to any exhaust? I have not seen one. I am going to say that most aftermarket exhaust are close to the same. Sure, one may make slightly more bottom and another slightly more top, but in the end, I doubt there is a huge difference in any of them. I would love to see a pipe shootout for the 700XX though. Leave everything the same but swap exhausts, tune for max power, and see what the results are. Who knows, one exhaust could outperform the others by a huge margain. Untill someone does a shootout (or I win the lottery and buy a bunch of exhausts to test) I guess we may never know.

Doug

1 - 20 of 54 Posts