Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think if I were to do it all over again... and keep in mind this is for the style of riding I do - woods, tight trails, very technical stuff... things that make most people's ass pucker... this is my new big 3 list.

1. 13t Sprocket
2. Steering Dampner
3. Nerf bars

To continue the list
4. HID Headlights
5. Flexx Bars
6. 10" rear wheels and Maxxis Razr2's all the way around.

I have all of this right now, except the flexx handle bars. They will be the next purchase. I find NO need for aftermarket air filter, power commander or exhaust. All that seemed to do was use more gas and I couldn't use all that "extra" power in the trails anyway. Waste of money IMO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got the Full exhaust, pc5, and the k&n air filter and i did really get them for more power but more to make the bike run cleaner and to have a better throttle response not just for "more power" and IMO it was the best money i could have spent on it!

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I think if I were to do it all over again... and keep in mind this is for the style of riding I do - woods, tight trails, very technical stuff... things that make most people's ass pucker... this is my new big 3 list.

1. 13t Sprocket
2. Steering Dampner
3. Nerf bars

To continue the list
4. HID Headlights
5. Flexx Bars

I have all of this right now, except the flexx handle bars. They will be the next purchase. I find NO need for aftermarket air filter, power commander or exhaust. All that seemed to do was use more gas and I couldn't use all that "extra" power in the trails anyway. Waste of money IMO.
i would have to agree on the part of the trail riding i dont leave 4th gear now cant to fast for trails. but in the sand i need so much more power. so its hard to find a good mix. i would even bump the tires up and dampener down even though i dont have them yet i think they would make a bigger difference.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the Full exhaust, pc5, and the k&n air filter and i did really get them for more power but more to make the bike run cleaner and to have a better throttle response not just for "more power" and IMO it was the best money i could have spent on it!
You probably don't have a steering dampner or ride the same kind of trails. One ride with a dampner and you'll never ride with out one. It makes you faster through the trails and doesn't fatigue you as fast.

I got to agree with you on the Big 3 being a waste in tight trails. I ride Black River Falls, WI which is like snowmobiling in the summer. High speeds and long straight trails. Big 3 makes a big difference there.
Depends on how long the straight in the trail is. Most of our trails I'm never full throttle in 4th and i'm cruising in 5th.

i would have to agree on the part of the trail riding i dont leave 4th gear now cant to fast for trails. but in the sand i need so much more power. so its hard to find a good mix. i would even bump the tires up and dampener down even though i dont have them yet i think they would make a bigger difference.
Get a dampner. I bet you'll change that statement. lol. This weekend was mine and another guy on a raptor's first times out with our dampners, his was a precision, mine is the CNC'd one we got from the group purchase last year. We both could not stop talking about how much it helped.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
1. 13t Sprocket
2. Steering Dampner
3. Nerf bars
4. HID Headlights
have the above plus different grips, ds450 front shocks, radial razrs in the front and razrs on the rears...and I LOVE my set up!!! woods, coal properties and rocky terrain is alot of what we ride...by far the dampner was the best investment...until you ride with one you will never understand the improvement ;)

nice thread Jeff!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
323 Posts

1. 13t Sprocket
2. Steering Dampner
3. Nerf bars

To continue the list
4. HID Headlights
5. Flexx Bars

I heard that!

I could never understand the desire to ride anything on flat, long trails. I like to go fast just as much as anyone else, but give me the bumps, steep and deep, scary looking side trails that no one else wants to try!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn it something else i gotta buy!!! (steering dampener)
Get the one that was offered here on the forum or on ebay, its only $180 bucks or so. I have mine on setting 4 or 3.

1. 13t Sprocket
2. Steering Dampner
3. Nerf bars
4. HID Headlights
have the above plus different grips, ds450 front shocks, radial razrs in the front and razrs on the rears...and I LOVE my set up!!! woods, coal properties and rocky terrain is alot of what we ride...by far the dampner was the best investment...until you ride with one you will never understand the improvement ;)

nice thread Jeff!
Thanks! Hindsight is 20/20 - Had I realized what I was doing when I first bought my quad, I would have never spent my money on the power mods. But these mods have made me a better, more confident rider.

Flexx Bars and Elkas are next.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Depends on how long the straight in the trail is. Most of our trails I'm never full throttle in 4th and i'm cruising in 5th.

Get a dampner. I bet you'll change that statement. lol. This weekend was mine and another guy on a raptor's first times out with our dampners, his was a precision, mine is the CNC'd one we got from the group purchase last year. We both could not stop talking about how much it helped.
The straight aways in BRF,WI are so long I literally wind out 5th gear. The power is a must there but I'll keep in mind the steering dampener for my next mod. I wouldn't mind doing some Elka's as well!:xx:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Did anyone else notice their CCP stabilizer not work like it used to? When replacing my tie rods, I noticed "play" in the stabilizer before i could feel it working. I put it on setting 1 (stiffest) with the handlebars straight and could move the bars 1/8 the way each way before i could feel the stabilizer resist. I've been thinking about trading for a Precision one.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts

1. 13t Sprocket
2. Steering Dampner
3. Nerf bars

To continue the list
4. HID Headlights
5. Flexx Bars

I tend use what I can get a hold of. my list would be alot longer and would serve my purpose .
Agreed too much power makes hard to control but a little more makes it more fun. :D

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did anyone else notice their CCP stabilizer not work like it used to? When replacing my tie rods, I noticed "play" in the stabilizer before i could feel it working. I put it on setting 1 (stiffest) with the handlebars straight and could move the bars 1/8 the way each way before i could feel the stabilizer resist. I've been thinking about trading for a Precision one.
The guy with the raptor had a precision on his, neither of us could stop talking about them. I hope the longevity of my CCP is equal the the precision.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
i like to think my best investment so far was my nerfs. I hated the heal burn slash ripping sensation at my leg everytime i took a jump in the sand. and believe me with paddles it hurts. i love the big 3 in the sand it helps push that 500lb beast the only thing you have to do is figure out how to stop. lmao

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
5WOP3. I am surprised that you enjoyed the dampner so much on your first ride with it. A lot of people don't b/c it seems harder to turn and what not. But I agree that it is one of the best investments money can by on any machine, quads, dirtbikes, or motorcycles. I always put one on everything I own. They help out so much and limit fatigue in your arms.

TRX700, are you sure 1 is the stiffest? I thought 8 was? Regardless, I always leave mine right on 4.

I have the big 3 and then some, and I ride everything I can but dunes (East Coast), when I do winter scrambles it is when the big 3 comes into play. It is tight woods racing, never get out of 2 gear for 90% of the track, but when you come into a corner and are going out, I love feeling the power I have to go right up to speed to the next turn. Plus, my pipe is pretty loud and it lets people know I am right behind them so if I am passing them in different classes they just tend to move over.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yea 1 is the stiffest, I also run 4 most of the time but don't think it works like it did new.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts