Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In designing the perfect skid plate, you would want to look at several things. Durability, thickness, shape, material, one piece - two piece. Since someone asked me to start my own company to make plastic skids, it didn't sound like to bad of an idea after I thought about all my connections. That being said.

Details:

• 0.375" thick
  • 2 Options for oil drain!
  • Front to back, with rolled lips to tuck under front bumper. On the back so that you can slide backwards - without your skid plate acting like a shovel.
  • Much more to come - check out the website!

Until I get my hands on some UHMW or other appropriate plastics, this is all in theory. Should be pretty soon though. I'm open to all of y'all's ideas.

NEW WEBSITE - ROCK CONDOMS - http://www.rockcondoms.com

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
  • What thickness? (0.375' or 0.50")?
Damn... Either is way thick. I'm going to assume you meant 0.375 inches rather than feet. A 1/2 inch (0.50") skid plate? What are you trying to stop a .50 cal bullet? j/k... Couldn't resist messin' with ya. :lmao:

+1 on the change oil without a big mess to clean up.

roadkill

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nah, I would rather buy from someone who can jump better. <looks at your avatar>
I told you that weekend would be an "easy" weekend. I just wanted to relax!

I have a GREAT idea for an oil drain.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn... Either is way thick. I'm going to assume you meant 0.375 inches rather than feet. A 1/2 inch (0.50") skid plate? What are you trying to stop a .50 cal bullet? j/k... Couldn't resist messin' with ya. :lmao:
We ride in some pretty rocky places. 0.50" would also keep the plate from vibrating because it would be stiffer. It would also last forever. You want a flimsy piece of crap?

I've been known to make brick shit houses.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I wouldn't go more than .250 and thats probably on the heavy side for a skid, plastic should deflect and slide, a little give is ok, personally 3/16" sounds about right, the frame will support it in more than enough locations, and if you even plan on trying a one piece the bottom of our quad isnt flat so it needs some give to it. Oh yeah, for the drain hole, just cut an appropriate size hole, take a funnel cut it to that size and epoxy it between the skid and the drain hole, all goes down, not all over the skid...my 2 cents.....mind you I'll demo it and give u input ...just sayin

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
2nd that. I now I'd be interested both to test and to buy. I'm looking for a plastic skid, doesn't rattle, similar to the aluminum ones on eBay just not aluminum lol

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Keep us up todate on this how would these compare to the weight of aluminum .250" skids?
From research so far - UHMW is 30% lighter to Aluminum and it OUTLASTS carbon steel 10 to 1.

I've talked to 3 machine shops so far. The website should be up this weekend. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
48 Posts
dude sounds awesome but i would go with the .375 thickness and a full front to rear would be preferable imo!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dude sounds awesome but i would go with the .375 thickness and a full front to rear would be preferable imo!
Confirmed.

first run will 0.375" after talking to the machine shop.

Full front to rear, tucking under front bumper, and rolling up just a bit on the rear in case you have to slide backwards.

btw... this material is from a blackhawk - this is a joke, long timers will get it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Confirmed.
btw... this material is from a blackhawk - this is a joke, long timers will get it.
Does this mean that a new comer like me will not have a chance to get? :eek:hno:

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
It's a very interesting idea. Seems mighty thick compared to my rattlefree PRM, but then again oil changes w/ no mess would be nice. Can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thats a tad over 9mm thick ! I'll have to see this bugger when its built , Quite tempting . :D
We have big rocks in Texas.

Does this mean that a new comer like me will not have a chance to get? :eek:hno:
For sale to all!

It's a very interesting idea. Seems mighty thick compared to my rattlefree PRM, but then again oil changes w/ no mess would be nice. Can't wait to see it.
The oil drain is still being discussed with the powers with in. There will be probably be an option for a simple hole like everyone elses... or something else...:hey:

1 - 20 of 163 Posts