Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my XX, a trailer, my riding gear, my son a Predator 90 and his gear, etc. I have the 13 tooth sprocket on order. I don't want to spend a lot more this year.

I read that I can add an air filter and slip-on with out needing a programmer. What filter/slip-on combination can you recommend that will keep my cost around $300? Eventually I'm looking to do the finish the full exhaust and add a programmer so a muffler that would also apply to that would be nice. That will definately be all I do performance wise. No cam or major motor work. Hell if I like the sound and will only get a fraction more power I may just do without a header. What do you think the filter/slip-on combo will net me in HP?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The sprocket and filter are fine but you will need the programmer even with a slip on. Congrats on your purchase, nice choice!

·
Registered
537 Posts
There are a lot of people that run without a programmer with slip on and filter. Your riding conditions (alt) will dictate whether there's a need for one or not. There is a power gain when going to a full exhaust system. But I'm not sure if there is and slip on out there that will also bolt up to a after market header. Usually the cost to gain ratio when going to a full system does not justify the price. I would say there is a 1-2 hp gain with a slip on and maaaybe 4-5 with a full system. Whatever you decide to do, you made a very good choice in ATV!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Uni filter, and if I'm not mistaken, FMF has a slip-on that comes with a bushing for a stock header. When you want to go Full, just take the bushing off and get the powerbomb from them...

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Uni filter, and if I'm not mistaken, FMF has a slip-on that comes with a bushing for a stock header. When you want to go Full, just take the bushing off and get the powerbomb from them...
Correct

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Def UNI IMO, but also if you know that you are going to get a full exhaust later on (even though FMF has great slip ons that will fit to the stock head pipe), you could also just get your programmer now and run with that with the air filter.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which UNI filter? I am completely new to off road vehicles. Which FMF muffler for trail riding in the desert? Looking at a FMF Powercore 4 with the UNI. Around $260 shipped. Opinions? How much power should I expect and also how much more will a programmer add to that?

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I've got the powercore4 and like it allot. If your looking to make the most power out of the money you have to spend you be better off with the programmer and filter. Next step would be a full exhaust, The header is the big power maker in the exhaust setup.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got the powercore4 and like it allot. If your looking to make the most power out of the money you have to spend you be better off with the programmer and filter. Next step would be a full exhaust, The header is the big power maker in the exhaust setup.

Cool. I'll probably do the slip on and UNi this month. Then the programmer next pay. Then a header in September or sooner if I have the funds. I'll probably stay with FMF so I can get the programming directly from them.
I have some 1/32 slot cars to sell and a few other items for Ebay.
I have a list of things including tires, a stabilizer and I still need nerf bars. I need to start working overtime.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The header is not worth the moola u will spend. Ur better off with a slip-on, uni, and pclll, or pc5. I have a pclll that i bought from Scuzz, it works great! and i also have a uni, with HMF ballance pro series slip-on the works awesome. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
The header is not worth the moola u will spend. Ur better off with a slip-on, uni, and pclll, or pc5. I have a pclll that i bought from Scuzz, it works great! and i also have a uni, with HMF ballance pro series slip-on the works awesome. Just my thoughts.
Why would you think the header is not worth the money? If you ever plan on making power the header is a main priority.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you decide to go with FMF slip on, I have a Billet spacer that adapts the new Slip on to stock exhaust if they dont furnish you one. I didn't need it because I went with powerbomb header. Just let me know..

·
Registered
579 Posts
Why would you think the header is not worth the money? If you ever plan on making power the header is a main priority.

Yes, I agree & I Do think it was worth the $$ . Its all about pullin in & pushin out air baby, and this header flows..

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
third

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
WTFT?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK if anyone is still following this thread how about this? EHS programmer and the Uni then the exhaust on in a month or two. It seems that's the best performance bang for the buck to start with.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I just bought my XX, a trailer, my riding gear, my son a Predator 90 and his gear, etc. I have the 13 tooth sprocket on order. I don't want to spend a lot more this year.

I read that I can add an air filter and slip-on with out needing a programmer. What filter/slip-on combination can you recommend that will keep my cost around $300? Eventually I'm looking to do the finish the full exhaust and add a programmer so a muffler that would also apply to that would be nice. That will definately be all I do performance wise. No cam or major motor work. Hell if I like the sound and will only get a fraction more power I may just do without a header. What do you think the filter/slip-on combo will net me in HP?
I agree with smooth, you should get a programmer and air box lid, you can take the end off your stock exhaust and cut out some restriction and achieve the same as a slip on.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you decide to go with FMF slip on, I have a Billet spacer that adapts the new Slip on to stock exhaust if they dont furnish you one. I didn't need it because I went with powerbomb header. Just let me know..
Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Is the FMF header for the 700XX actually larger diameter and a different bend then stock? I have never seen the FMF header for the 700XX, but back in 2005 I bought a complete FMF system for my 450R. The powerbomb header was an exact copy of the stock header, same diameter, same bend, etc. Most of the power of a four stroke exhaust is in the header design, but if it is a exact copy of the stock one, then there is no benefit. I have heard of other model quads that FMF makes headers for that are very similar if not exactly like stock. Based on my experience with my FMF and my 450R, I would not buy one of their headers until I confirmed it was different. I was just curious if it actually is.

Doug

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree with smooth, you should get a programmer and air box lid, you can take the end off your stock exhaust and cut out some restriction and achieve the same as a slip on.
Ok. How's this. I got the UNI along with a 13t sprocket ordered and on the way. I can get a tip that is basically an open end with a stainless screen spark arrestor. I definitely need a spark arrestor in the dry desert brush. I really don't have cash for the lid but could spring for it if I can get in on the EHS controller group buy. This seems perfect for under $400 total. I imagine about 7 or 8 hp gain which is nearly 15-20%. Does that sound about right?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts