Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure what section to put this in so I hope this is ok. But anyways, is it ok to just spray the chain with WD-40 and nothing else. Ive rode a Rancher for along time and dont really know the right way to maintain a chain. Do I need to get oils and sprays??

thanks for any info

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I've always been told that the problem with WD-40 is that it attracts dirt....if that makes sense....All I do is use a general cleaner such as purple magic, and a grunge brush (http://www.bing.com/shopping/Finish-Line-Mountain-Clean-And-Lube-Pack/search?q=grunge%20brush&p1=%5bCommerceService%20scenario%3d%22sum%22%20docid%3d%225165EF9FA9DE6DA49548%22%20a%3d%22pa%22%5d&wf=Commerce&FORM=ENCA2) and spin the tires while holding the brush on it. on my motorcycle I just use some kerosene and a tooth brush. The thing that you really want to do tho is make sure that when you are done cleaning it, dry it out, and to do so just jack up the rear end and let it idle in 1st gear for a little while. Then I use some good O-Ring safe chain lube, and voila. A thing I have noticed on this bike is how hard it is to keep the sprocket and everything else by it clean, so I usually use Gunk every couple of washings to get it all cleaned back up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well every kind of lube is gonna attract dust. Theres no way around that. I never bother with cleaning the chain and all of the chains on all my toys have lasted untill sold or stolen.

·
Registered
184 Posts
napa does have a chain and cable lube in a spray can that I have used. it said on the can that it doesnt attract dirt/dust and sand. I works great on our tow trucks.I can get the part # if any one wants it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
napa does have a chain and cable lube in a spray can that I have used. it said on the can that it doesnt attract dirt/dust and sand. I works great on our tow trucks.I can get the part # if any one wants it.
Yeah I would like the part #. Its hard to believe that any lube will not attract dust unless it drys but then it wont lube anymore lol. I'll give it a try though.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
LPS 1 also doesn't attract much dust, but it's very thin so I don't know how well it would work on a chain. Works wonders on hinges and what not though.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I used Bell Ray chain lube. It's very messy and the chain has to be warm to apply it properly. I switched to Motroex (red can) because the chain stays cleaner, no fling off and it goes on with the chain being cold. For cleaning I make sure I hose the dirt/mud off, then clean it with WD40 on a rag, then spray the chain lube on .

·
Registered
788 Posts
I use heave weight gear oil. It seems to work pretty well.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I used Bell Ray chain lube.
I use Bel Ray also, but the "super clean" stuff. The original Bel Ray stuff is horrible, but the super clean seems to work well. Does not make a big mess or attract dirt. I have been using it for years.

Doug

·
Registered
217 Posts
Honda Pro -
HP Chain Lube

Contains Teflon® and moly for superior lubrication.
Dries fast, leaving a protective film that won't fling off.
Repels dirt and water, and offers superb rust-protection.
Dyeless formula that won't stain white wheels.
Approved for use on both O-ring and standard chains.

Part # 08209-004HP: 5.7 fl. oz. (Mini)
Part # 08209-013HP: 19 fl. oz. (Full Size)

Cleans with soap and water.:hey:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Belray chain lube imo. has some anti-fling stuff in it. I used to use it on my bullet bikes too, worked great then and works great on the xx.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Lubing the chain is pretty easy for me. I warm it up like a 3-5 min ride. And then jack it up, put in 1st gear and spray chain. But cleaning chain seams to be a pita. Even with a good cleaner/degreaser & the grunge brush, it just seams theres no good angle for me. Atleast I have yet to find the sweet spot. I use the PJ1 for chain lube, but been eye balling the Maxima Chain Wax, big ass can and only like 7 or 8 bucks. does anyone know if its any good? And have a picture of the sweet spot for the grunge brush to clean. Or do you just need to get comfortable and clean it manual, with/out it spinning?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/197/12473/ITEM/Maxima-Chain-Wax.aspx

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
With the Grunge Brush, I just jack it up and idle it in 1st gear and put the brush a little forward on top of the rear sprocket. Can't get the inside/underside/sprocketside (whatever you want to call it) side of the chain from that angle, but that's normally the cleanest anyway b/c its the one w/ all the contact to the sprockets. One thing I thought about maybe is if you don't have a skid plate, maybe you could go up from underneath. I am not sure though, haven't looked at it.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I just spray the chain with the water hose dry it off with a rag and use some pj1 o ring chain lube

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
With the Grunge Brush, I just jack it up and idle it in 1st gear and put the brush a little forward on top of the rear sprocket. Can't get the inside/underside/sprocketside (whatever you want to call it) side of the chain from that angle, but that's normally the cleanest anyway b/c its the one w/ all the contact to the sprockets. One thing I thought about maybe is if you don't have a skid plate, maybe you could go up from underneath. I am not sure though, haven't looked at it.
Yea the outside of chain is easy, but to clean the inside is a PITA so I clean some and then give up. And I do have a skid plate.

I have the grunge brush, and I just use a degreaser spray "whatever I can find cheap". Was asking if this chain wax was any count cause it's so cheap in price. I have some just havn't tried it out yet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cleaning your chain with your bike in first gear spinning the tires is a pretty sweet way to lose a finger. But you guys can do what you want. Ha ha. You don't want to use degreaser on your chain because it will ruin the o-rings. Kerosene works the best. The chain wax doesn't fling off but it makes your chain stiff and sand sticks to it bad, which i don't like. And as for not lubing your chain, you've got metal on metal contact, it needs a lubricant. Not lubing will give you more chain and sprocket wear as well as chain stretch and failures. My .02 cents.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Some good info above. I'm not sure thou how kerosene wont hurt the chain but a degreaser will? I want to do it right but hate to pay the 4-5 dollars for a few ounces of the chain cleaner. If kerosense works I could clean the chain a bunch a times for 5 bucks. So how many others agree that Kerosene is a safe way, and not to use a degreaser, such as Gunk, simple Green ect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts