Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , me had alot of fun , playing with the sra's.
Before racing , the XX was an "also ran", quirky and something differant.
Practice went terrible on the grass oval , absolutely no steering. Kinda like racing on ice with studs in the rear and slicks on the front.

Changed the front shocks from the Motowoz back to the s1 Elka's(3 mins flat with the help of Jill). No change. Had 2 mins before going out for practice grass circuit and no differant.

I put this down to wrong tyre selection and having the front width too wide at 53"

So this is what I ran for racing.

Goldspeed SX 18x10x10 , Yellow compound on DWT 10x8 rims and OMF rings at 10psi

Kenda Klaw XCF 22x7x10 on DWT 4:1 rims

Eds +11/4 a-arms , notch 3 and 6mm toe in.

Elka s1 with 30mm preload fitted with aftremarket springs.( the Motowoz would have done better IMO , just run out of time )

Eds +2 anti vibe stem , Anti shock and vibe clamps with Easton bars.

EHS Racing programmer and lid.

And thats it , everything was stock, engine , exhaust and rear shocks.

So how did I do ?
I'll leave that to you guys and girls, My Pitbabe got some vids done. :xx:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9zjpz5KlX8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sZV8V0wN9c&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I have some pics that Jill took , I'll post them later.:D

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
the holeshot is everything in them kind of races. you should of got a better holeshot on the 700 against those 450s and 2 strokes . dont you think a straight axle quad would work better in them applications. looks like you had enough speed to keep up though but the start killed you as you had to play follow the leader after that, but i know you was having fun though.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
What place did you finish in?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
looks like you didnt do to bad the xx is going to be a handful to get setup to run in those conditions it will take some time to find a happy medium between weight transfer. I see you had the back pretty low which is a good start but thats going to make your front light and hard to steer. You might want to try a less agressive tire wheel spin will probably help keep the steering planted and help with the rear slide to get it around the corners without the roll feeling. It will probably also require a lot of "body english" no pun lol to get it around fast. You can see your front wheels lifting in the turns (inside wheel) maybe stiffing up the front would help that some also

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the holeshot is everything in them kind of races. you should of got a better holeshot on the 700 against those 450s and 2 strokes . dont you think a straight axle quad would work better in them applications. looks like you had enough speed to keep up though but the start killed you as you had to play follow the leader after that, but i know you was having fun though.
The starts will get better with confidience, SRA would have been the wise choice but this is more fun. The rest will come with time and better setup.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks like you didnt do to bad the xx is going to be a handful to get setup to run in those conditions it will take some time to find a happy medium between weight transfer. I see you had the back pretty low which is a good start but thats going to make your front light and hard to steer. You might want to try a less agressive tire wheel spin will probably help keep the steering planted and help with the rear slide to get it around the corners without the roll feeling. It will probably also require a lot of "body english" no pun lol to get it around fast. You can see your front wheels lifting in the turns (inside wheel) maybe stiffing up the front would help that some also
Thanks for the input Eric, setup was a happy medium using parts I had with me, I learnt alot on Sunday and the XX always like to throw me a curve ball when I think I am moving in the right direction.:D

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
well i had a good end of the world party on Friday! XD

·
Registered
316 Posts
Baxter you should try the rears that are in my pic. They have great straight line traction but almost no sidebite so they slide easier in the turns. I will look to see exact name but they are dunlops version of old hoosier tritracks in soft compound. they suck in the mud but I luuuuuv them on dry dirt especially ungroomed dirt like you were running on in video.btw I run riekens on the front with them when doing that type of racing and a durablue swaybar set as tight as it will go(they are adjustable). I also run stock shock but with all 4 springs from stock fronts off of a z400(lowers bike 3 to 4 inches depending on rider weight). so far I have dominated against all 400/450's with a stock motor.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't get the Dunlop "Tritrac" tyres in the UK but was looking into a similar looking tyre built by Goldspeed. There were a couple of people at the race using them and they did a pretty good job. Thanks for the heads up on the tyres.:tup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts