Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
buying a handgun. just for protection and some target practice. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
desert eagle .50 cal

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
holy crap. keep em coming.

·
Registered
497 Posts
How often will you be shooting it? Will it be a concealed carry handgun? What kind of price range are you working with? How big are your hands?

·
Registered
228 Posts
How often will you be shooting it? Will it be a concealed carry handgun? What kind of price range are you working with? How nig are your hands?
Good questions. If you want a small gun for concealed carry, buy either a Smith & Wesson Airweight revolver with the laser grips (especially if you are new to guns) or a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 (which is just now being released). For concealed carry and personal protection at home, buy the smallest .45 that you can afford. If you just want home protection and a gun range pistol, buy the best .45 you can afford. Let us know which of these three scenarios you're looking at and we can give you a lot of suggestions. Everyone has different wants and needs. My goal with guns is to be able to kill as many people as possible who attack me, not look cool. So my preferences may be different than yours. We need to know what your goal is.

Based on what you originally posted, I'd buy the same thing I bought, a Springfield XD-45 Compact. It has a ten round clip for concealed carry and a 13 round clip for sitting in the drawer at home. I put hollow points in it and have no worry at all about someone living past the first 3 shots. With a .380, crackheads can keep coming at you, but a .380, especially the newest ones, are very small and super concealable. You have to weigh lots of variables. Tell us more about your circumstances.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I personally don't like the .45 i prefer the .40 it's the best of both worlds, between the 9mm and the 45. 9mm is not enough punch but very accurate without a lot of recoil, the .45 has stopping power but is very rough on the recoil for fast firing. I have a concealed carry permit and I personally carry a Springfield XD .40 I shoot with a guy who put 10,000+ rounds though his XD before the firing pin broke, springfield fixed it for free and sent it back. The springfield or the glock are the best choices imo and .40 cal personal protection round is one of the best. there's a reason almost every police department in the country uses a .40 handgun as a standard issue size. They can carry whatever they want, but most departments issue them a .40 when they are hired.

·
Registered
446 Posts
buying a handgun. just for protection and some target practice. Any suggestions?
my exact uses, I would shy away from a 4" barrel though, mine sticks out like a sore thumb if i bend over and don't have a jacket on lol.

·
Registered
497 Posts
For a all-around gun (casual shooting, carry, and home protection) I suggest a 9mm just because of price and availability of ammo and the hi-capacity mags (XDM holds 19, G17 holds 17 with optional 30rd). But if ammo price isn't a factor for you then by all means GET A 45. Not much that can withstand a round or 2 of 45 ACP.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I agree on a 9 millimeter ammunition is very expensive nowadays anyway much better off with a 9 millimeter

·
Registered
228 Posts
You need to shoot these rounds being discussed before you buy. My first gun was a .40, against the recommendation of my cousin who is a gun nut, for the very reasons mentioned above (i.e., good size round, not as big recoil as a .45, concealable guns come in .40). However, small guns with a .40, in my opinion, are far less comfortable to shoot then a GOOD .45. I got rid of the gun eventually. Try different rounds before you buy and get the smallest you can if you want to conceal.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Either a Glock 21 or the Springfield XD45. Just see which one feels better in your hand, they are both awesome guns

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I grew up with guns. When I was 6 or 7 i shot my first 22 and than by ten or eleven moved to the 45. My father would take me to the range every weekend. But over the past five years i have been too busy to deal with it. It will be strictly for defense and a little target practice just to keep it shot. Not something I am willing to bring everywhere I go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm a Police officer and Tactical Instructor. I carry a Kimber .45 on duty, and have several off duty guns. There are 2 different outlooks. Large caliber / fewer rounds, compared to Smaller caliber / lots of rounds. My dept's out look is to carry a large caliber / fewer rounds. I respect that outlook, but given my choice i'd go with with a smaller caliber / more rounds.

I have taught traffic stops, building searches and ambush scenario's with simunitation's, and I can tell you that I go through that 8+1 rounds from our Kimber's very fast. When I am teaching other dept's that carry high capacity 9mm and .40, you really see the advantage to having 16+ rounds.

Another thing to take into consideration is to carry a handgun that you can handle. I'm not a small guy. 5'11", 225lbs. I workout and shoot all the time. I can can handle our .45's no problem, but naturally I can fire my 9mm and get back on target much faster then with my .45, which equals more rounds on target faster.

My main off duty carry guns are a S&M Airweight. Plus's are: it's hammerless, light weight and I normally just slip it into my pocket. Minuses: It sucks to shoot, because its so small and light weight, and it only has 5 rounds. The other gun I carry most of the time is one my Glock's. The 17 Gen4 lately. Plus's: Fun to shoot, 17 rounds, proven reliability. The only minus is the size for concealing it.

I'm a big Glock fan, but some of the guys mentioned the Springfield XD and XDM. I have shot them and really like them. A very good choice. Your best thing to do is decide on the caliber and size (compact or full sized) and go to the gun store and hold the weapon to see what fits you the best. Stick with Glock, Springfield, H&K, Glock, Beretta, Smith and Wesson M&P, Sig... Yes, I said Glock twice ;)

Paul B
A magazine holds bullets, a clip goes in you hair.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts