Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im about done with this motor.
I've put two top ends in it in less than a year. the first one was a total rebuild supposedly that Honda put in and it lasted 2engine hours before it started rattling (timing chain) so i took it back to Honda and they gave me the run around about it saying the whole top end was shot. so i picked it up in peices because i didn't even want them to touch it again. so i put a top end in it myself and it lasted three rides before it started smoking. pulled it down and the cylinder looks like it has been in the motor for years and its not like i put a used cylinder in it it was a fresh big bore from alba.

im thinking the oil system isn't working or something. is there a way to check it. i know its getting oil to the head but im thinking the oil jet in the case is an issue. also the crank feels tight. but is there a way to check that in the motor?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
thats not good dont know what to tell you but that sucks!! maybe a problem in bottom end ?:confused:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I believe there is a oil screen inside the engine you can get too if you pull the side casing off, aswell as the oil screen in the oil resivour aswell,

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im thinking its the crank. the wrist pin is worn just like the last one and so i will replace it and hope that is the problem this is starting to be an expensive problem. but if it was the crank the whole time im willing to bet Honda didn't replace it like they said.

i did learn something about having a shop do the work. always ask for the worn parts before they start so you know they replaced it or least went to alt of trouble lieing to you lol

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
im thinking its the crank. the wrist pin is worn just like the last one and so i will replace it and hope that is the problem this is starting to be an expensive problem. but if it was the crank the whole time im willing to bet Honda didn't replace it like they said.

i did learn something about having a shop do the work. always ask for the worn parts before they start so you know they replaced it or least went to alt of trouble lieing to you lol
oh yeah thats the truth my small town honda shop is good about that especially if its an warranty job!:xx:

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol oh it has been ridden like i high end hooker. no cheap shiat goes in my motors until now lol... she is getting a hotrod crank... hope it holds up.

i am suprized there was no brass bushing in the stock crank. no wonder i had so many problems.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I lean on the slipper pistons being a contributing factor to the abnormal wear we've seen in these motors. I don't believe the slight power increase in the design is worth the trade off of less reliability. If I ever have anymore pistons made they'll have full skirts with anti friction coating I had put on the others I had.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey man I had a similar problem. I know if your cylinder is shot and you put new rings in it it will eat the rings up within a few weeks of riding or so. Seems like the best idea is to unfortunately re-place everything at once that way you don't have any old worn parts causing abnormal wear on parts that are brand new. I had to take my stupid top end apart a few times before I found this out. It was starting to get really old. I've been riding it for about a month now and no problems with it, so let's hope it stays that way for a long time.

Also, make sure you use some sort of air filter oil on your air filter especially if you ride in dusty conditions. I think that's also what helped kill mine in the first place.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've never been a fan of slipper pistons. I know they're the current rage in the light weight 450's, but I'm not quite sure why Honda chose to put a slipper piston in a heavy 700cc quad. It's not like they needed to make this some sort of high-revving race quad.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
maybe you should stop riding it like a 3 dollor whore lol
I figured that every time I ride mine the bill is usually around $35 an hour the engine is running on new OEM engine parts alone.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well she is running again made a race with her and managed 2nd.
and was 2 min off 1st coming back from a 15 min delay...

i lost the plug on the timing chain tensioner lost about 1.25 quarts of oil but caught it before any damage was done. they cut the race short 15 min otherwise i would have caught him but i have all next year to show him up he is running the same class as me.

also the problem was found to be the oil ports on the rod had burrs on the id so it was locking the wrist pin seams like that would be a manufacturer defect... so my warrentee should have covered it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts